Very Interested in.....

Quest84

Hey guys this is my first post, and im getting really interested in biblical archaeology. If anyone has any site/book recomendations, they would be greatly appreciated. Im new to this, so any help is great

Tennessee R

I'm a new member too, but have been reading this site for about a year. I should probably let the fellow that goes by the name of 00Kevin, or one of the veterans of the site officially welcome you, but unofficially, I give you a beginning welcome.
Welcome.
Just wait around for a Raven Official Welcome,

bob

Welcome Quest!

I too have an interest in Biblical archaeology but really you get out of it what you want to (as many authors do) such is the variety of the opinions.

For a fairly trusting approach to the Bible but not hysterically so I would check out David Rohl's 'The Lost Testemant'

But (pssstt) for a work that adopts a purely scientific minimalist apporoach saying only what can be known i would recommend 'Bible Unearthed' very strongly.

But it really depends what you believe already and what you are prepared to believe about this subject.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Those are some interesting works, bob. I havn't read them but have spent some time reading as many reviews as I could find. They are both now on my book wish list. Perhaps they would go well with the thread Joe is trying to start up in a different table.

Doc Savage

Hey, Quest...wouldn't be Jonny, by any chance?

Check out the works of Dr. Kent Hovind. He deals with many disciplines of science, all from a creationist perspective. Tennessee will enjoy the fact that he was friends with Wyatt before he (Wyatt) passed away. The good Doctor likes the Good Book. As many have said in these hallowed halls, it's an archaeologist's best friend when taken literally.

Tennessee R

Doc Savage, I am the son of the president of Wyatt Archaeological Research (Since Ron Wyatt passed away), and Kent Hovind is a good friend of ours.

I've been to his place in Pensacola, FL, and he has been to our museum in Cornersville, TN fairly recently.

Kent is a great creationist speaker, and keeps the intrest of everyone with his witty jokes (he's got some really good ones).

Post back, Doc

Doc Savage

I could watch Hovind all day. A pastor at my church bought his Creation Science seminars and began showing them to our congregation. My wife and I couldn't wait for the rest to be shown in such a slow format, so we ordered them. I love seeing crackpot "science" get a shot in the chops by the Word. Guess it's out of the bag now where I stand on religion.

What's even funnier is that I'd run into you here. I was familiar with the "Gulf of Aqaba" findings before I saw Hovind's seminars, but was unaware of the pillars of Solomon. You and I need to talk.

Tennessee R

Be delighted to talk, just start up any conversation.
How did you originally hear about the Aquba crossing site? Was it through us or someone else?

Doc Savage

Actually, it was through the BASE Institute, I believe. The theories offered concerning the various lakes outside of Succoth made no sense to me in light of what the Bible said, and I found it hard to believe that so many people would leave no trace of such an exodus. How I never put what Paul said in Galatians together with the now-obvious fallacy of the Sinai peninsula must have been the penultimate "duh" moment of my life. The apis bull inscribed on the altar in Saudi Arabia was a particularly nice touch. By the way, you're welcome to contact me outside this forum via email anytime. Any friend of Dr. Hovind's is a friend of Doc Savage.

Tennessee R

Doc Savage said:
Actually, it was through the BASE Institute, I believe. The theories offered concerning the various lakes outside of Succoth made no sense to me in light of what the Bible said, and I found it hard to believe that so many people would leave no trace of such an exodus. How I never put what Paul said in Galatians together with the now-obvious fallacy of the Sinai peninsula must have been the penultimate "duh" moment of my life. The apis bull inscribed on the altar in Saudi Arabia was a particularly nice touch. By the way, you're welcome to contact me outside this forum via email anytime. Any friend of Dr. Hovind's is a friend of Doc Savage.

I have currently no e-mail on this computer, but by tommorow (or sometime soon) I should have it set up, and then maybe I'll give you an e-mail.

It really does make sense: "Mount Sinai in Arabia"
Now, Arabia (present day Saudi Arabia) was origonally(sp?) Midian. When Moses killed the Egyptian, fled to Midian, and married Jethro's daughter, Moses saw the burning bush on Sinai. When Moses led the Israelites back from Egypt, he was on his was back to Mt. Sinai. He went around the gulf of Suez, and was probably on his way around the gulf of Aquba, when God told him to "turn back and incamp by the sea", so he got into the wadi that runs to the beach where they crossed, and when they were on the beach, the Egyptians were backed up into the wadi, mtns. blocked their escape to one side, a fortress to the other, and the only way was across.

Anyways, It's late, and I'm tired, I'll come back tomorrow,

Good to talk, Doc.
Goodnight.

Doc Savage

I've checked out Wyatt's website, and am truly impressed. The concept of Christ's blood on the mercy seat gave me goosebumps, and I'm not prone to those. Given what I believe about the Tribulation, it only makes sense that the temple furniture would be stashed together. But to find it under Golgotha, with the blood of The Lamb on it...breathtaking. I'm ordering Wyatt's book on his findings and look forward to it greatly.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Another side of the Wyatt Findings

Department of Geological Sciences
California State University Northridge
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8266
October 15, 1996
email 103725.3674@compuserve.com
FAX 818-677-2820

Mr. Gary Amirault
Tentmaker
HCR Box 6D
Hermann, MO 65041

Dear Gary,

As an addition to your web site which is entitled: "Wyatt Archaeological Research Fraud Documentation," I wish to report an article which has been recently published. The reference is:

Collins, L. G. and Fasold, D. F., 1996, Bogus "Noah's Ark" from Turkey Exposed as a Common Geologic Structure. Journal of Geoscience Education, v. 44, p. 439-444.

In this article David Fasold and I report aerial photography analyses of the supposed ark structure and the surrounding terrain, chemical (electron-microprobe) analyses of the supposed iron bracket in the ark structure (as obtained by John Baumgardner), chemical analysis of a drogue stone, optical studies of thin sections of rocks in the ark structure, of the supposed iron bracket, and of a drogue stone, and thin-section studies of the ribbed-rock interpreted by Ron Wyatt as fossilized reeds. These studies all show that the ark structure is a natural rock formation composed of layers of volcanic boulders and clay and that the drogue stones and ribbed rock are volcanic or metavolcanic rocks that could not have been transported to the site in Turkey from Mesopotamia. There is no evidence of any fossilized wood or any other man-made artifact. The supposed iron bracket is oxidized iron (limonite or goethite) produced by weathering of titaniferous magnetite which naturally occurs in the volcanic rocks or in eroded sediments derived from such volcanic rocks. The boat-like shape of the structure can be explained as resulting from natural folding of layers consisting of former stream-transported sediments locally containing abundant volcanic boulders and pebbles and from subsequent erosion.

In short, none of Ron Wyatt's claims that this rock structure is a fossilized remnant of Noah's Ark has any merit.

Sincerely,

Lorence G. Collins
Professor of Geology (emeritus)

(care of this.)

Tennessee R

Don't want to break the rules here at the Raven, but to Doc, the Discoveries Volume (I assume that's what you are talking about) has a ton of info in it. A pretty good book. Glad to talk to you again, I may just talk here, haven't even got E-mail yet :) Just can't seem to find the time :)
But where are you? I'm in Tennessee, and we have a museum 55 mi. S of Nashville, with actual pieces of Noah's Ark, and other artifacts.
You are probably not near, but if you were, you could come check the museum out. I'm part-time curator, there.

But anyway, Good to talk again, It's late here, goodbye

Doc Savage

Tennessee R said:
Don't want to break the rules here at the Raven, but to Doc, the Discoveries Volume (I assume that's what you are talking about) has a ton of info in it. A pretty good book. Glad to talk to you again, I may just talk here, haven't even got E-mail yet :) Just can't seem to find the time :)
But where are you? I'm in Tennessee, and we have a museum 55 mi. S of Nashville, with actual pieces of Noah's Ark, and other artifacts.
You are probably not near, but if you were, you could come check the museum out. I'm part-time curator, there.

But anyway, Good to talk again, It's late here, goodbye

Actually, I'm about four hours away, and I plan to drive down soon to see your "gas station."

And to apalehorse, to put it bluntly, any biblical archaeologist is going to have serious detractors from a secular establishment. While I don't have an educated opinion on Wyatt's finding of Noah's Ark, I have very high opinions of Dr. Kent Hovind, who publicizes his work.