Beowulf

Lon

Anyone see it yet?

I saw it today at an IMAX theater in 3-D. Truly amazing work. Winstone does great voice work and the battle between Beowulf and the dragon is one of the best man vs. creature fights in film. The visuals are stunning and the score is great.

If you have the opportunity to see it in 3-D (regular theaters are also showing digital 3-D presentations) that is the best way to watch it.

All the reviews I've seen of it tag it as an empty headed action flick.... so I don't expect I'm gonna like it HALF as much as I liked "Beowulf & Grendel" so I'll wait for Movie Network...

monkey

Haven't seen it yet.

Want to.

I read the story of Beowulf way back in the 70's some time.

I read it from an old tattered book called "Old English Folk Tales".

The story of Beowulf is very important to the Anglo-Saxon heritage. I am surprised that Hollywood would take such a story and put it to film. Unless there is some way to smear the Anglo-Saxons, which is what they are wont to do.

I will watch this movie with some trepidation, since I know that Hollywood likes nothing better than to disparage the Anglo-Saxon heritage.

One need only look at that racist travesty of a movie (not to mention, an historical abomination) that came out last year involving Vikings and Native Americans. (I will not even name that piece of trash of a movie).

Like I say, I will look forward to watching it, but with reservations.

deckard24

"I don't expect I'm gonna like it HALF as much as I liked "Beowulf and Grendel"

And here I thought I was the only one who saw that flick and liked it! Beowulf and Grendel is worth watching just for the amazing scenery alone.

Katarn07

The animation doesn't even look that great (isn't that the real reason to see this movie?) compared to other films, like say.... Final Fantasy?

Also, the "I am BEOWULF!" line turned me off. Total ripoff of the "This is SPARTAAAAA!" line from 300.

That said, if it's ever on tv.... lol, I say that so often about new movies.

xfkirsten

I just got back from seeing it, and thought it was pretty fun! :) It's been several years since I read the epic in college, so I really can't speak to a comparison. But the action scenes were great. Some of the animation was downright amazing - some shots I couldn't tell them from real people. Some of them were a little more hokey-looking. So the quality varied a bit. Some good lines, too if you like blue-collar humor. ;) But it also had a good mix of drama in there. And yes, the battle with the dragon was just plain awesome! I went with a bunch of folks from work, and all of us really loved that fight.

As for whether it is "racist" or not? I didn't think so. My heritage is almost entirely Scandinavian (Swedish and Norwegian), and the thought of racism never even crossed my mind. Then again, there really isn't much of anything out there that does offend me. ;)

Bottom line, if you're just looking for some good action and a bit of drama, you probably won't be disappointed. :)

deckard24

I saw this last night and I really enjoyed it! It is very hard to compare it to anything, because I've never really seen anything like it before(maybe Polar Express). It did seem to follow the classic story of Beowulf pretty closely, but if I remember correctly there were some elements missing. Visually it is overwhelming, and the 3-D is amazing! It was so much better than the Superman Returns 3-D release, and if they are planning on making even more films like this in the future, we are in for a treat! One thing I was shocked at was the rating. It really pushed the envelope for a PG-13 rating, and the blood and gore was pretty severe at times. Overall a pretty fun film to watch, but I'll still take real flesh and blood actors anyday.