Best fight scenes

Attila the Professor

Staff member
You guessed it, another poll...what are some of your favorite movie fight scenes?

-Seven Brides for Seven Brothers: the barn-raising...kind of odd, but first there's a scene where 6 of the 7 brothers compete with each other (jumping on logs and such) and then there's a barn-raising contest...needless to say, the barn collapses [Editor's Note: my description doesn't do the scene justice]

-Raiders of the Lost Ark: the fight by the flying wing...I need not say more

-Rocky: the climactic fight with Apollo Creed

-The Quiet Man: rather long scene with John Wayne and Victor McLaglan...highly recommended

-The Adventures of Robin Hood (1939, I think): one of the best sword fights in film history - Errol Flynn vs. Basil Rathbone

Gunga Din: all of the fight scenes are greats in this one

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: the showdown...and the 5 minutes leading up to it

McClintock: everyone slides into the mud...again, and again, and again...

Monty Python and the Holy Grail: the Black Knight vs. King Arthur('tis only a flesh wound!) I had to include it

Bad Day at Black Rock: Spencer Tracy. With one arm. Versus Ernest Borgnine. In a diner. Doing judo flips. It must be seen to be believed.

The Big Country: Gregory Peck vs. Charleton Heston...filmed from a mile or so away...in Cinemascope...very unique

High Noon: Cooper vs. the bad guys...extended shootout...and for once, the Hollywood hero takes a beating...remember, this is the early 1950's, before brutal realism

Star Wars: Obi-Wan vs. Vader

That's all I can think of off-hand...we could use some good barroom brawls, I suppose...what does everyone else think?

Indy4ever

Let's see...

Empire Strikes Back, The: Luke v. Vader (uh, his father :))

Public Enemy: machine gun fights

Gladiator: Russel Crowe v. Joaquin Phoenix

Although not necessarily fighting another person, these movies still come to my mind as having good and/or the best fights:

Jaws: Roy Schneider v. the great white

Poltergeist: the Freeling family v. the spirits

Alien: Sigourney Weaver v. the alien

Jurassic Park

For big and epic fight scenes:

Saving Private Ryan: the first 15 minutes on the beaches of Normandy

Tora! Tora! Tora!- very good, if not better than "Pearl Harbor" released in 2001. (in other words, they did a lot without having access to CG's and stuff)

The Patriot: Mel Gibson v. Colonel Tavington and the Britsh army (final battle in movie)

AND OF COURSE....

Harrison Ford's punches in all three Indy movies are just awesome!

EvilNazi

FIGHT CLUB

edward norton against himself!!!!!! when he blackmails his boss. in the other scenes he technically fights agiants himself too but still...

swords

Hmmmm, you just gave away Fight Club's only redeeming quality(but yes,I love the film's fighting style)...

Captain Blood(never watched it, but its famous for its sword fights)
The Crimson Pirates(watched it a while back, good swashbuckling I guess)
From Russia With Love(Bond fans will problably know which fight Im referring)

More recently:
Matrix-Neo vs Agent Smith(who knows what reloaded has in store as of yet)
Crounching Tiger, Hidden Dragon-pick anyone you choose, they're all good.

Im really dried for thought, you know the cliche, when I think of more I'll post them.

00Kevin

Indyfan
swords, I take it you mean the gypsie fight :rolleyes:

I have a million here, so here goes

the early bond films had AMASING battle royales and epic, massise battle

FRML:bond,Bey,gypsies V Russians
GF:US troops V goldfingers men
TB: Coast Guard V Spectre agents (underwater....one of the best)
YOLT:`Ninjas V Spectre
OHMSS: Draco's men V Spectre
TSWLM: Submariners V Stromburg's men
MR: US astronauts V Moonraker astronauts (in space :D)
Octo*****: Octopus cultists V Khan's men (very funny at parts....expecially when Q lands on the gunner :D)

then of corse, great 1 V 1 fights, often take place during the above fights

FRWL: Red Grant fight, also Klebb fight
GF: Bond V Oddjob (amasing......twists, turns, great action, classic)
TB: final fight V Largo and a few of his men, good twist
LALD:Bond V Teehee ("Now what are you doing?" "Just being dissarming Dear" :D)
TMWTGG: Scaramanga (slow, but entertaining, surprises), Nick Nack (funny, "YOU'LL BE SORRY!! OW! LET ME OUT!! YOU BIG BULLY!!!" "SHUDDUP!")
TSWLM: Jaws on Atlantis( great on, classic, "How does that grab you?")
Moonraker: Chang ( good action, lots of smashing "play it again Sam"), Jaws on sky tram ("His name's Jaws he kills people")
octo:Gobinda on plane(I love when the stakes are high)
AVTAK:Zorin on Bridge (ditto)
TLD: Bond V Necros (ditto x2), Whitaker (nice historical references, "he met his waterloo")
LTK: fight with Dario and fight with Sanches are great
Goldeneye: final fight on satallite, awesome, suspense, great lines
TWINE:renard final fight, again, greta lines
DAD:Bond V Graves in Blades Club (massive, epic, best earth swords fight), Graves in plane, one of the best "YOU See Mr. Bond, you can't kill my dreams, but my dreams can kill you" greta lines

WOOOO!!!! DONE with the bond films

but more! other great sword/saber fights:

(all SW films)

this is takeing to long.......lets just say there are alot of awesome fight

swords

00Kevin said:
swords, I take it you mean the gypsie fight :rolleyes:

Well I meant the fight on the train, the one you mentioned here:

00Kevin said:
FRWL: Red Grant fight, also Klebb fight

Yeah, the gypsie fight is "da bomb", with the 007 theme playing. And as you mentioned, the oddjob fight is great too.

00Kevin

Indyfan
indeed

soon i plan to put up another one of those survey things, best chase

I want to wait 2 weeks until Martix: Reloaded, because I'm told there is a really great chase in it

then of corse we have Ronin, alot of bond chases, a few indy chases

swords

Well Ronin wins my vote. The chase towards the end where theres the threat of oncoming traffic is spectacular. Also noteworthy are a lot of the Bond chases, and if you want to count North By Northwest where Cary Grant is drunk behind the wheel(though its bluescreen, but I enjoy the score.):)

Then of course you can't forget Bullitt with Steve McQueen, that redefined car chases by putting the once popular blue sreen chases out of style(plus that Mustang is nice). Then you have the French Connection, also very exciting. Then you have, well, I could keep going on, but I'll wait for the thread.:);)

Fight Scenes

Ok, in no particular order.
1. anything from indy.
2. Goldeneye-end fight
3. Grosse Point Blank. John Cusacks fight with d other guy in d locker room-great kicks from Cusack!
4. Die Hard with a vengeance: Bruce fighting with the guy on the boat with the chains n stuff.
5.Die Hard. Bruces fight with guy on top floor.
6. THe Peacemaker. Clooneys fight with the russian dude in the truck thats about to fall off the cliff.
&. From Russia With Love Train fight.#

Probably think of more later.

I would have to say the best fight scene of all time is the one between Luke and Vader on the second death star, that sends chills down my spine.

Palpatine: Your fleet has lost. And your friends on the Endor moon will not survive. There is no escape, my young apprentice. The Alliance will die...as will your friends. Good. I can feel your anger. I am defenseless. Take your weapon! Strike me down with all your hatred, and your journey towards the dark side will be complete.

Palpatine: Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you.
Vader: Obi-Wan has taught you well.
Luke: I will not fight you, father.
Vader: You are unwise to lower your defenses.
Luke: Your thoughts betray you, father. I feel the good in you, the conflict.
Vader: There is no conflict.
Luke: You couldn't bring yourself to kill me before, and I don't believe you'll destroy me now.
Vader: You underestimate the power of the dark side. If you will not fight, then you will meet your destiny!
Emperor: Good. Good.
Vader: You cannot hide forever, Luke.
Luke: I will not fight you.
Vader: Give yourself to the dark side. It is the only way you can save your friends. Yes, your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong, especially for...sister. So, you have a twin sister. Your feelings have now betrayed her too. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete. If you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will.
Luke: No!
Palpatine: Good.Your hate has made you powerful. Now, fulfill your destiny and take your father's place at my side!
Luke: Never! I'll never turn to the dark side. You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me.
Palpatine: So be it, Jedi.

Coldfyre

The swordfight between Wesley and Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride. Great stuff... actually, the scene with the poison in the cups was pretty memorable too, if you consider that a fight.

Blazing Saddles is a pretty fine standout...

Never liked the tank scene in Last Crusade that much.

Green Street Hooligans had a few doosies...really like that film.

Mark of Zorro 1940...Tyrone Power vs Basil Rathbone...
BEST SWORD FIGHT EVER!

anytime James Cagney lays the smackdown = best fight scene.

Also, the Three Stooges had some epic battles, particularly against the Axis powers.

Last edited:
The Drifter said:
Yes, the first one. Even though I liked the others as well!
The others are a big goof...I like them from a certain point of view, but after the emotion of Rocky, they were pretty silly, especially Ivan Drago.

Whatever he hits, he destroys. Oi.

Poor Apollo, but Rocky got back up like Wile E.

If I can change, and YOU can change...maybe...

I can't even finish!

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
The others are a big goof...I like them from a certain point of view, but after the emotion of Rocky, they were pretty silly, especially Ivan Drago.

Whatever he hits, he destroys. Oi.

Poor Apollo, but Rocky got back up like Wile E.

If I can change, and YOU can change...maybe...

I can't even finish!

Have you seen Rocky Balboa (2006)? Stallone commented that he was going for more realism there, but heck, it was still a 60 year-old boxer in the ring.

Some good fight scenes in Rambo (2008), even with Stallone showing his age in some shots. That guy has some serious energy. Harrison needs to stay in the gym!