Be a critic!

theinfiniteweird

I've got an idea for what I think could be a really good thread. Here's how it'll work.

I'll put down a subject (to do with movies, obviously), and the next person will give a critique- as long or short, specefic or braod, however/whatever you want (just stay on subject). The subject might be specefic and it might be broad. After you leave your critique, you leave a subject for the next person to critique. Sound like fun? I'll begin with a subject:

Movies of the 1980s.

intergamer

Regrettable, just like the decade itself. 80s pop culture quite possibly represents the most useless segment of American History and has led to severe social unrest, and, most likely, the deepening of Communist roots in our households. The only watchable movies to come out of the 80s were made people people living in the 40s. Even in these rare cases, it is likely that decisions without the film industry was guided behind the scenes by communist sympathizers and international evil-dooers.

Virgil's Aenead. Translation is not necessary.

Last edited:

Tennessee R

I have nothing to post at the time about Virgil,
only wanted to say that the hints on communism in your critique was very noted and agreed upon.

(However, there were three movies that came out in the 80s that I enjoy very much. Can anyone guess which three ;) )

Jay R. Zay

sorry, i have something to add, too. ;)

in fact, the 80s were a very successful time for movies, not just three good ones as tennessee mentioned. for example (among the most famous ones): Shining (1980), First Blood (1982), Back To The Future (1985), Brazil (1985), Platoon (1986), Die Hard (1988), Full Metal Jacket (1987).

there are many more but i just wanted to give you an idea what movies there were in the '80s. plus, i think it's important to mention that not only communism but also the anti-communist wing (or "mostly" this) did some detriment to america. the war against communism is not really a glorious chapter in american history.

Strider

I can't say I'm too knowlegable of the era, considering I was born at the end of it, but I will say that I have nothing against what came out of it. Jay mentioned alot of good films that came out of the time. I also liked some of the music. The Clash for instance... Athough I guess they officialy started in the 70's.

Strider

As far as I'm concerned, the 80's were a breakthrough for film, which I credit to Star Wars, which I guess really came out in 79, but inspired so much movie making in the 80's.

Strider said:
As far as I'm concerned, the 80's were a breakthrough for film, which I credit to Star Wars, which I guess really came out in 79, but inspired so much movie making in the 80's.

I thought Star Wars came out 77. :confused:

theinfiniteweird

Thank you, intergamer, for playing along! I see no trouble in discussing the topic for a few posts, but eventually, someone will need to post another topic or critique on the last new topic made. last new topic was

Virgil's Aenead. Translation is not necessary.

Jay R. Zay said:
sorry, i have something to add, too. ;)

in fact, the 80s were a very successful time for movies, not just three good ones as tennessee mentioned. for example (among the most famous ones): Shining (1980), First Blood (1982), Back To The Future (1985), Brazil (1985), Platoon (1986), Die Hard (1988), Full Metal Jacket (1987).

there are many more but i just wanted to give you an idea what movies there were in the '80s. plus, i think it's important to mention that not only communism but also the anti-communist wing (or "mostly" this) did some detriment to america. the war against communism is not really a glorious chapter in american history.

www.fast-rewind.com

Yeah the 80's were the best. :whip:

Don't forget The Dark Crystal (1982). :D

Stoo

intergamer said:
Regrettable, just like the decade itself. 80s pop culture quite possibly represents the most useless segment of American History and has led to severe social unrest, and, most likely, the deepening of Communist roots in our households. The only watchable movies to come out of the 80s were made people people living in the 40s. Even in these rare cases, it is likely that decisions without the film industry was guided behind the scenes by communist sympathizers and international evil-dooers.

Oh brother...Thanks for the good laugh, Intergamer! :D INDIANA JONES is a
MAJOR ICON of 80's pop culture and is the reason The Raven message board
exists today. :) There are plenty of great movies of that decade from young
filmakers, old ones, Americans, Europeans, etc. Too many to mention.

Passing over the topic: Peter Jackson's "King Kong".

Tennessee R

Let's see. I don't think that people are getting this. Intergamer talked about Movies of the 80s, and now, he has chosen a new topic, just as TheInfinateWierd said:
"After you leave your critique, you leave a subject for the next person to critique"
And now it's someone's turn to write on that topic.

If I was more familiar with the topic, I would make my critique just to start things out right.

Although, it is going to be hard to keep from discussion of each topic.
Even I had to add my one and a half cents. ;)

Stoo

No need to fret. Maybe you didn't read it but I recommended:

Next topic: Peter Jackson's "King Kong"

Jay R. Zay

intergamer said:
Please read the instructions at the beginning of this thread....
is English your first language? (answer no, please)

well, if you don't know, my english can't be this bad, can it? if you can even ignore the fact that i'm from germany, as mentioned in my profile...

"I'll put down a subject (to do with movies, obviously),"

that's the first point. and now, may i redirect your attention to the forum we are in? "Film Classics", not "Off Topic".

so perhaps you could think this matter over once again, will you? it's not *always* the other guy, who is stupid. at least not, when you're talking to me.

theinfiniteweird

theinfiniteweird said:
I've got an idea for what I think could be a really good thread. Here's how it'll work.

I'll put down a subject (to do with movies, obviously), and the next person will give a critique- as long or short, specefic or braod, however/whatever you want (just stay on subject). The subject might be specefic and it might be broad. After you leave your critique, you leave a subject for the next person to critique. Sound like fun? I'll begin with a subject:

Movies of the 1980s.

I missed something:

"After you leave your critique, you leave a subject for the next person to critique."
is supposed to be:
"After you leave a crtique, you leave a subject (something about movies, of course) for the next person to critique.".

So yes, it needs to be about movies. If Aened(sp?) is something to do with movies, then go for it- look it up on Google. If you reall really really want to dismiss it- don't. Please just play by the "rules" and everything will be good. Thx!

Last edited:

theinfiniteweird

Sorry for the doubel post

Virgil's Aenead-
The story that some of the movie "Troy" was based on. Brad Pitt, I heard, did a good job in that movie. OK, that's my critique. Short and noninformative, but a critique still. Next topic:

Peter Jackson's "King Kong", topic by Stoo :)

***Next person critique this and only this. Then put down another movie topic for the next person to critique. The previous topic might be posted on a few more times for discussion, but eventually someone will need to post on the next topic.***