Indy and American Graffiti?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Some fans have speculated that Indy 4 might somehow overlap with American Graffiti (set in 1962), bringing Lucas's career full circle. But the characters would be too young, and on the wrong coast. Only Curt (Richard Dreyfuss) flies east to college. The others die or go nowhere. Harrison Ford was 30 when he played Bob Falfa, and appears in More American Graffiti as an SFPD motorcycle cop. He doesn't seem the type to leave Modesto, except maybe for the Korean War.

I suspect Lucas has considered this too. In the Saucer Men script, the CIA guy is Bob Bolander... possibly related to Ron Howard's character, Steve Bolander?

IndyBuff

They're too seperate films and I personally don't want to see them overlap. Maybe a name or small in-joke would be more appropriate but using on of the characters would be pushing it a little bit, at least for me.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I read this on IMDb: "George Lucas has stated that the two main characters Roger and Penny Henderson [from Radioland Murders, set in Chicago 1939] are actually the parents of Richard Dreyfuss's character from Lucas' American Graffiti."
It may not happen in Indy 4, but I would bet Curt Henderson eventually winds up in Indy's classroom.

roundshort

temple of john said:
There is about as much chance of this happening as there is that Indy overlaps with Star Wars.

hhhmmmm. . .why not? Temp you are only 3 away from 3,000 go for it!

roundshort

temple of john said:
LOL...well...

First of all, Star Wars takes place about 176,000,000,000,000,000 years before Indiana Jones.

Hey congras on 3,000! Also, didn't it happen like really far away also?

roundshort

IndiRama Jones said:
I think it would be really cool for that sweet 55 Chevy from American Graffiti to show up somewhere in Indy IV.

I don't know I think the "**** yellow '32 ford (the car Ford had in AG) would mean a bit more . . .wait that would actually work int he time from for Indy . . .

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Some guy in Kansas bought and restored the cars from the final race, the '32 Ford and the '55 Chevy. Hopefully Lucas has his phone number. (As long as he doesn't get obsessive like Sam Raimi with his yellow 1973 Oldsmobile.)
Steve - white '58 Chevy Impala
Curt - grey Citroen deux-chevaux
Milner - yellow '32 Ford deuce coupe
Falfa - black '55 Chevy
blonde - white '56 Thunderbird
temple of john said:
Indy overlaps with Star Wars.
Why, indeed it does, John! Very observant!

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
roundshort said:
Hey congras on 3,000! Also, didn't it happen like really far away also?

Yeah, and somehow all of the characters have 70s haircuts and speak flawless English. :rolleyes:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
If you'll allow me to weave the Lucasverse a little tighter...
What if, before he was atomized, Bob Bolander was briefly married in the late 40's to CIA colleague Sophia Hapgood? It would expalin Ron Howard's character's red hair...

This actually removes the layers of Dickensian coincidences. Consider:
In the 1940's, Bob Bolander marries Sophia and they have a son, Steve. Both join the CIA in 1947. Bob is nebulized in New Mexico, 1949. Whether she hears it was UFO or nuclear related, Sophia (still the psychic) senses DC is not the safest place for them. She moves far away to small-town Modesto, California and raises Steve to attend college, nudging him towards Barnett. Steve drags Curt (his girlfriend's brother) along with him, but in 1962 only Curt flies east to attend. Steve becomes an insurance agent (not a bad gig if your mom's really psychic). Perhaps on the (red lined) flight east, Curt sits by Indy, heading home from the opening sequence to Indy 5...

Last edited:

torao

Moderator Emeritus
There you see what you're doing to us, Steven and George!!
Who knows what will happen next if the script won't be done till mid december: Fans discussing how Indy uses a dug up saucer to travel back in time and space to go meet Han Solo?

Moedred, you are hilarious :)

P

phillipmscott

temple of john said:
There is about as much chance of this happening as there is that Indy overlaps with Star Wars.

If you read the Star Wars Tales comic books, the two stories HAVE overlapped. Indy, searching for Bigfoot, stumbles across the Millenium Falcon (crash landed on Earth many thousands of years before). Solo is dead inside - Indy remarking that "the poor bastard" looks strangely familiar. Chewie is the mysterious Bigfoot - still wandering the wilderness. It's an enjoyable piece...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
...so Curt's DC-3 connects to a transcontinental flight in San Francisco. He's still staring out the window pining for the blonde in the T-bird when Indy strikes up a conversation. They hit it off, so Indy invites him over for dinner with the family, which includes his eldest daughter, the doctorate, preparing to teach her first class at Barnett. Weeks later, as soon as every drooling jock files out of her class, she's all over her teaching assistant Curt. Indy, freshly tenured, strolls in but doesn't notice a thing. He invites Curt to tag along on his latest excavation, and thus begins
Indy 5 and the Quest for Grandchildren.
The saga is complete.
Epilogue: in the 21st century, Richard Dreyfuss is among family gathered around Indy's deathbed. Indy passes a weathered map to his teenage grandson Harry, and passes.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
References can be more subtle than this.
If Indy has to drive something, it might as well be the Chevy.

No direct crossover but I think the movie should be set in 1962 as an indirect tribute to American Graffiti, thus Lucas would have gone full circle and thus 1962 would be the nexus of the Indiana Jones/Harrison Ford/George Lucas universe. Its interesting that AG showed alot of the cultural staples associated with the 1950's but its set in 1962, thats because the early 60's were culturally very similar to the 50's and society had changed so much by 1972 when the movie was released that people were nestalgic for an era just ten years earlier. Its the first successfull film by George Lucas and the first film of any stature that Harrison Ford was in.