What 60s genres/mythology could they draw from?

Raiders90

If the original three films incorporated elements of 30s - 40s movie genres and and KOTCS drew from late 40s - 50s movie genres, what could a 60s set Indy V draw from while still remaining true to IJ?

Also, while the first four films featured elements of the eras they were set in (Nazis, Anything Goes, the Gerswin song in LC, rock in KOTCS), what would you be okay with being featured in Indy V from the 60s?

TheFedora

1960'S. The Age of Aquarius. Associated with water, knowledge and life.... they could do a lot with that, especially as it relates to the hippies and birth of the new age movements.

TheFirebird1

The early 1960s (before the Woodstock era) was marked a lot by the post-colonial confusion caused by the collapse of the imperial system across the globe. If Indy travels to certain locales (such as most of Africa and Asia and certain Caribbean nations), the world events going on at the time could add some interesting tension to his journey, as well as exotic set-pieces for him to venture to. As a bonus, both the Soviets and the Americans were heavily interfering with these newly-freed nations at the time, so it would give Indy an opportunity to deal with some nefarious spy-types, which would give the film a pretty authentic sixties feel.

Randy_Flagg

In terms of genre, the first James Bond movies were in the 60s, and since Raiders was done as Spielberg's version of a James Bond movie, I could see Spielberg looking in that direction for inspiration now.

As for mythology, Edgar Cayce predicted Atlantis would rise in the 1960s, so that could be incorporated into the plot.

WilliamBoyd8

Quentin Tarantino is releasing a film "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" about the Manson Family murders in 1969.

Indiana Jones meets Charles Manson?

:)

seasider

Raiders112390 said:
Indy V, at least in current non-reboot form, is essentially DOA as of today, so this is moot.

Until we get an official statement from Lucasfilm, Disney or Spielberg himself, nothing is DOA yet. To be honest I'm a little skeptical of the Variety article.

Face_Melt

seasider said:
Until we get an official statement from Lucasfilm, Disney or Spielberg himself, nothing is DOA yet. To be honest I'm a little skeptical of the Variety article.

They certainly got clicks. Seriously if they can?t finish a script before filming begins in April 2019 then they never will.

British Raider

The War movie was big in the 1960s ala the Great Escape, Where Eagles Dare etc I’m thinking that for the opening at the very least.

Goodsport

Perhaps the Space Race of the 1960's or early 1970's can provide the movie a ex-Nazi main antagonist via Operation Paperclip.

-G

JediJones

I'm not a Bond aficionado enough to give specifics, but it seems like a unique opportunity to try to capture the feel of a 1960s Bond film as a way of paying homage to Indiana's main inspiration as well as paying homage to the actor who played his father. I think there would be a great demand for an actual Bond film set in the 1960s. This is a way for the Indy series to step in and steal some of that thunder.

Lance Quazar

I'm not a Bond aficionado enough to give specifics, but it seems like a unique opportunity to try to capture the feel of a 1960s Bond film as a way of paying homage to Indiana's main inspiration as well as paying homage to the actor who played his father. I think there would be a great demand for an actual Bond film set in the 1960s. This is a way for the Indy series to step in and steal some of that thunder.

I think a 60s set new Bond movie would be amazing, just as I think the next Superman movie should take place in the 30s. Great idea!

JediJones

I guess I'm not as convinced of the Superman idea because I'm not familiar with too much Superman media from that era, and the Reeve movie is still the primary way the public perceives the character. But seeing Superman fight "Nazi supermen" in WW2 could definitely be interesting. I guess I still just want to see him fight Brainiac or Bizarro on the big screen more than anything. Not counting the near-Brainiac and near-Bizarro of Superman 3.

Lance Quazar

I guess I'm not as convinced of the Superman idea because I'm not familiar with too much Superman media from that era, and the Reeve movie is still the primary way the public perceives the character. But seeing Superman fight "Nazi supermen" in WW2 could definitely be interesting. I guess I still just want to see him fight Brainiac or Bizarro on the big screen more than anything. Not counting the near-Brainiac and near-Bizarro of Superman 3.
It's the era superman was born it and it could have an amazing aesthetic. No reason he couldn't fight those other characters you mention and I think setting it in a different time would open it up to a slightly heightened sensibility, which would work well with those characters, too.

JediJones

It would definitely be fun to see him at a newspaper when they were still a huge deal, vs. hearing Perry complain about no one reading newspapers anymore in the last movie. 😆