Looking for Indy's Jacket, Or Something Like It

NonStop

Long time since I last posted, and I recently re-watched Raiders, and man I love Indy's jacket. Anywhere know if you can get it, or a replica, or one like it?

deckard24

Clinton is right, Wested is the real deal.

I was financially strapped at the time so I couldn't go for the Wested, but I found a really nice close enough Indy jacket at Wilson's Leather for $120 on sale from $350. It all depends on how bad you want a screen accurate jacket. If so, Wested seems the way to go, or like I said you could check out www.wilsonsleather.com..

Dr.Sartorius

I have a US Wings Indy jacket but I don't recommend getting one from them unless you don't mind having a jacket that doesn't fit you 100%. I'd go for the Wested only because they make them custom.

eazybox

I'd go with Todd. A lot of people have customer service problems with Wested. You might have trouble even getting through to place the initial order. And if your jacket needs to be returned, you may face additional hassles, delays and expense trying to get the problem resolved.

I've had 3 Westeds-- all but their new stonewashed denim Indy had problems either of inaccuracy or construction. One of the sleeves on one of my Wested lambskins is 1/2 " shorter than the other.

Additionally, even though Wested made the original jackets, they no longer have the original patterns. Todd put years of research into making the ultimate Raiders jacket, and I've read nothing but rave reviews of his work. And he's a stand-up guy-- he communicates with you every step of the way, and does his best to make sure you are happy with your purchase.

His new Standard Indy is a steal at $150; it's made from the same pattern as his $500 Custom Indy. He'll exchange it or give you a full refund-- including postage-- if you're not satisfied.

Jack

NonStop

Hmmm, such diverse points. Todds is a lot cheaper for me (I live in the UK but the conversion rate means its very cheap for me). I will probably get it next summer. I really can't make up my mind. Wested or Todds?

Basically, Todds is £80 for me, including postage, but not custom, Wested is £165 including postage, £185 custom.

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
If you're in England go meet Wested personally and have the same guy measure you who measured Harrison Ford in 1980.

NonStop

VP said:
If you're in England go meet Wested personally and have the same guy measure you who measured Harrison Ford in 1980.

Its the price difference though. Also, I don't know if you can visit them.

eazybox

Wested sent me D rings with my last jacket; it was supposed to come with sliders that hold the side straps in place more securely. I read a post by Peter offering to replace them at no charge, and I requested the replacements.

Trouble was, they sent me only one slider. In response to my second email about this, they promised to resend the correct number of sliders (4).

Today, I got another envelope from Wested-- again, with only ONE slider in it.

Taken together with the many other complaints I've read about their shoddy service, along with my own past experiences, they've finally convinced me never to order anything else from them again. As I said on another forum, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

CAVEAT EMPTOR (let the buyer beware).

Jack

NonStop

eazybox said:
Wested sent me D rings with my last jacket; it was supposed to come with sliders that hold the side straps in place more securely. I read a post by Peter offering to replace them at no charge, and I requested the replacements.

Trouble was, they sent me only one slider. In response to my second email about this, they promised to resend the correct number of sliders (4).

Today, I got another envelope from Wested-- again, with only ONE slider in it.

Taken together with the many other complaints I've read about their shoddy service, along with my own past experiences, they've finally convinced me never to order anything else from them again. As I said on another forum, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

CAVEAT EMPTOR (let the buyer beware).

Jack

I see. Well, I think I will go on up there and see what it is like,

eazybox

NonStop said:
I see. Well, I think I will go on up there and see what it is like,

It might be a good idea to check out indygear.com before you go, if you haven't already done that, so that you will know exactly what you want. They'll have a new jacket section up soon, which describes in detail the entire history of the jacket and all the details of its design and the differences between each movie version, etc. Their research has cleared up a lot of misconceptions. The revised material should be up sometime this week, followed soon by a revised fedora section.

Jack

Last edited:

NonStop

eazybox said:
It might be a good idea to check out indygear.com before you go, if you haven't already done that, so that you will know exactly what you want. They'll have a new jacket section up soon, which describes in detail the entire history of the jacket and all the details of its design and the differences between each movie version, etc. Their research has cleared up a lot of misconceptions. The revised material should be up sometime this week, followed soon by a revised fedora section.

Jack

Cheers for the info. Wested seem very nice, as does Todd, I have emailed them both. It will be hard to make up my mind. From what Tod said, ther are no official jackets as such:

There is no "official" version. Indyjacket.com is run by the guy who made SOME of the film jackets 27 years ago, but they are notsanctioned by LucasFilm in any way. Since there were many unique jackets used in the film, you have to pick which one you want to be identical to. I have made mineidentical to what is seen on screen in the majority of the close-up hero scenes in "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Of course, it is myinterpretation since I have not had that jacket in my hands to examine directly. But I have labored to capture the detail and nuanceseen on screen. Most people find it to be identical to what they see, too.

eazybox

NonStop said:
Cheers for the info. Wested seem very nice, as does Todd, I have emailed them both. It will be hard to make up my mind. From what Tod said, ther are no official jackets as such:

There is no "official" version. Indyjacket.com is run by the guy who made SOME of the film jackets 27 years ago, but they are notsanctioned by LucasFilm in any way. Since there were many unique jackets used in the film, you have to pick which one you want to be identical to. I have made mineidentical to what is seen on screen in the majority of the close-up hero scenes in "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Of course, it is myinterpretation since I have not had that jacket in my hands to examine directly. But I have labored to capture the detail and nuanceseen on screen. Most people find it to be identical to what they see, too.

You are absolutely on the right track. You're right, there is no universally accepted version of the ideal "Raiders" jacket-- at least, there wasn't until the exhaustive research done mostly by Patterson at Indygear in which he talked to Steven Spielberg himself and many of the other key players involved in the making of Indy's jacket. Thanks to this research, every little detail that CAN be known will be available shortly. They've announced that the revision of the jacket section is complete and will be up this week.

Jack

eazybox

The material has been sent out for review by the principals involved-- we all know how that goes, so we'll see how soon they can make it public. The Indy 4 jacket is probably the major sticking point, as the movie hasn't been released and the powers that be might not want to reveal too much about it before then. I'm hoping they can edit that section out and then reinstate it after May 22.

Jack