Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 01-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #26
Flannery10
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Yes, I'm right! "Young Indy" was a flop and if there is a reference to it in "Indy 4" - 99.99 percent of the audience wouldn't catch it.

Like Adam said already, who cares? Those, who watched Young Indy will recognize that reference and smile and those who didn't just won't and think: "Oh, another detail about Indy's past!", and forget about it quickly.

You know what I think Sankara? I think you're scared that it will include a reference, because if it does, then you'll have to accept Young Indy is cannon, and not a whole different world than the movies.
Flannery10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #27
Sankara

Well, if Indy would say to Marion: "You know what? A long time ago I had sex with Mata Hari!" 99,99 percent of the audience would look like that

Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #28
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Please, Finn! We all know that Lucas and Co. expected more than this. So: It was a Flop!

It was not a massive hit, but it was not a flop by any means Sankara.

1. It won 10 Emmys, and was nominated for a further 13.
2. It lasted for three seasons.
3. Lucasfilm and Paramount have released two very lavish, very expensive DVD volumes with a third on the way.

Whatever your opinions of the show are, those are facts which support the fact that the show did well.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #29
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Yes, I'm right! "Young Indy" was a flop and if there is a reference to it in "Indy 4" - 99.99 percent of the audience wouldn't catch it.

99.99% of the audience didn't get the references to The Searchers in the Star Wars films, War of the Worlds and Raiders of the Lost Ark either, but they're there.

Alot of the time references are there to indulge the film-maker, not the audience.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #30
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

Sankara, what the hell? The realise how embarrasing your whole line of argument, how old are you anyway? You're acting like a 4 year old.. why the hell do you post on young indy pages anyway? All you ever say is stuff like: THIS IS CRAP, I HATE THIS SHOW, ONLY IDIOTS AND NON-INDY FANS LIKE THIS SHOW, etc etc etc, really really childish. Man, its amazing anyone ever even responds. In cas you haven't noticed most of us here love Young Indy, to you that obviously means we are somehow sub human because we don't share the brain of Sankara. Of course it didn't do very well we all know that, but Lucas loves the show, he came up with indy 4s plot, there might very well be a reference, and if there is it will be a rather vague one, not as stupid as your above example.

Stop being such a child. Please. Its very embarassing.
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #31
metalinvader
IndyFan

Quote:

@metalinvader
Right, Why would they even put Young Indy locations on it? And why should they put a "Young Indy"-Refernce into "Indy 4"?

Well that's it,If you go to the first page I stated that I don't think there will be any reference to Young Indy at all.If there is any reference what so ever,It will be very small like the Jackal head piece on Indy's desk or him mentioning that he fought in WW1.Something small and subtle.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #32
Sankara

@Jeremiah Jones
No, I don't use words like "Idiot". This is a forum and I have an opinon.

@oki9Sedo
We are talking about CLEAR references like the ark-Scene in Venice.

@Adamwankenobi
As you you know I'm a DIE HARD Indiana Jones-Fan since... oh many-many years before you were born. I wouldn't like it. So what? We will see... :-)
Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #33
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
We are talking about CLEAR references like the ark-Scene in Venice.

In that case, there aren't likely to be any.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #34
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Well, if Indy would say to Marion: "You know what? A long time ago I had sex with Mata Hari!" 99,99 percent of the audience would look like that

It'd be as silly as Indy telling Shia LaBeouf's character "You know, I once drank from the holy grail."

What you've got to understand Sankara, is that the Indy films have never made huge references to one another, so why should we expect KOTCS to do any different with YIJC? When we talk about KOTCS referencing YIJC, it should be a given that any references would be small.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #35
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
It'd be as silly as Indy telling Shia LaBeouf's character "You know, I once drank from the holy grail."

Alot more people would get that, though.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #36
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
@Adamwankenobi
As you you know I'm a DIE HARD Indiana Jones-Fan since... oh many-many years before you were born. I wouldn't like it. So what? We will see... :-)

*sigh* I think you know what I meant. I was refering to myself being a die hard fan in the context of YIJC. Just so you understand correctly, I'll rephrase it: All die hard fans of YIJC like myself would smile at the references, while general audiences, film-only fans, and/or those with no or very little knowledge of YIJC will just accept any YIJC references as another part of the film.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #37
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oki9Sedo
Alot more people would get that, though.

My point is that it would still be silly and unnecessary. And like another poster pointed out, who ever got the idea that everyone is suppose to get references in films? Most people who watch the IJ films don't even realize that what they are watching is one giant homage.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #38
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
My point is that it would still be silly and unnecessary. And like another poster pointed out, who ever got the idea that everyone is suppose to get references in films? Most people who watch the IJ films don't even realize that what they are watching is one giant homage.

Thats absolutely true.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #39
Avilos
IndyFan

I think Sankara has over stayed his welcome on The Raven! He is entitled to have different opinions than others and is free to express that. But is goes FAR beyond that. He has a condescending and dismissive attitude toward other poster. He adds nothing to discussions but his narrow mindedness. Distorting facts to suit his agenda.
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #40
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

Sankara, okay maybe you didn't use the word 'Idiot' but your disdain for anyone who likes Young Indy is pretty obvious. So we don't share your opinion, SO WHAT! I mean in your last post you said "This is a forum and I have an opinon". Sankara, all of us here are very very very well aware that you have an opinion, expressing that opinion has been your chief means of arguing any point regarding Young Indy for months now. We Know. alright? We'll just take it as read.

Its just I find it fairly disrespectful to everyone here in the Young Indiana Jones corner of the Raven that you keep lambasting us for being stupid enough to like a show which you're so fully convinced is the worst thing ever concieved. I just don't understand why you come here? are you just trying to stir things up? I mean we accept you don't like the show, and we're well past trying to persuade you otherwise, just stop telling us that its crap okay? WE . DO. NOT. AGREE. WITH. YOU. And anyway, thats not what this thread is about.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #41
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

Anyway. I doubt there will be a reference, I'd love if there was though. I mean as has been mentioned by Avilos it is the first movie made with the Young Indy Chronicles Being there, so maybe.. Possibly in a briefing given to a Russian agent on Jones, 'he fought in WW1, worked for French Intelligence, Yadda Yadda Yadda' It definetly won't be anything major, yeah, like MetalinVader says, a jackel on his desk, that'd be nice. It all depends if the prop department are Young Indy Fans I suppose. Maybe a photo of his Mom in the backround, or an old photo of himself when he looked like Flanery, blink and you'll miss it sorta stuff.

Just reading over some of my old posts, sorry if I come off as a little harsh, I just find it all a little ridiculous, another fine topic derailed.

Last edited by Jeremiah Jones : 01-02-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #42
IndyJr.
IndyFan

Quote:

Listen Sankara... Yes, the film did suffer some critics reviews. But those are critics. You're paying too much attention to the critics and not the fans and even the non-fans!

yes, because of the abundance of "educational values" in the film, it lost some stars... also because of George Hall... I don't agree with these terms, but in the DVD George Hall was removed and the educational boosts the ratings IMO.

Let me ask you something, when was the last time you saw a Young Indy flick? Have you seen them all? Which one was it? I bet you it was Hollywood Follies and Mystery of the Blues. Of course if that's all you saw you would have your doubts!

Have you yet seen Demons of Deception part 1 (Verdun, 1916). Phantom Train of Doom, Oganga, Attack of the Hawkmen, Adventures in the Secret Service. I can go on! These stories are impelling and in some moments are chilling and they are very thrilling! You only have a personal vendetta because you saw one YOU didn't like. Not everyone has your opinion (thank God). Yes, some have taste to what they watch. And yes, most of who buy Young Indy DVDs do have sense and do know what their buying and buy it because they like it... yes... comparitavly 40,000 may be a small number (to some). But let me remind you, it's only been out like a month (if I can remember). What do you expect every Indy fan to buy it the first day? I didn't get Volume 1 until Dec. 15th! And Volume 2 Dec. 25th. Does that make me a non-Indy fan? No; I watched them straight through in 3 days matter of fact!

My cousin loves the Indy films and Young Indy. He's yet to buy the Young Indy DVD set yet. Does that mean he hates them?

I also think it's interesting that everyone on this forum (for the most part) thinks the series are great (except for you). Why is that I wonder?

I ask you...why are you in a Young Indy board to only complain to many who love it, that it's horrible. Among this crowd you will not change people's minds about it. Just give up.
IndyJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #43
IndyJr.
IndyFan

Also... he says he's been a fan ever since you were born... but I bet you he's 10 and just figured out how to type and therefor comes to "enlighten" us... he's exploring the internet and forums and thinks it's "fun".

I can tell by how he's acting that it's EXACTLY like what I use to do in my younger days!

I guarantee he's 13 or younger...
IndyJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #44
Shazam
IndyFan

Sankara is entitled to his own opinions. With that said are we not allowed to be afforded the same courtesy. We like the show; if you don't like it stay away from this corner of the forum.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:46 AM   #45
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

Just ignore Sankara guys, he's just acting the goat.

Anyone who can watch 'Verdun' or 'London' and deny their brilliance has no taste.

And anyone who would carry a personal vendetta against a show because 1 or 2 of the 44 EPISODES are below part, well, they're an idiot.

We know what's right.
Matinee Idyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:13 AM   #46
Sankara

@Indyjr.

As you all know I'm a long time Indiana Jones-Fan and expert. I've got a really huge Indy-Collection, I traveld to the locations of the movies and-and-and...

So:Of course I've got EVERY Episode of "Young Indy" and I saw the most Episodes a few times. The Verdun-Episode was my favourite. Great music, great camera BUT: it has nothing to with Indiana Jones!

In my opinion "Young Indy" is to the "Indiana Jones"-Movies like the new Star Wars-Movies to the old Star Wars-Movies. Both are full of lousy ideas.

By the way: Of course I've got all Indiana Jones-Novels. These novels are lousy too.

So, who wants to bet? I don't think that there is a reference in "Indy 4".

@adamwankenobi
The Indy films have never made huge references to one another? What? Well, the ark-scene in venice is a CLEAR reference to "Raiders". Or the two Swordsman-Scene is a CLEAR referece to "Raiders".
Old 01-03-2008, 04:20 AM   #47
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

JUDAS!!! I don't believe you...
Matinee Idyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:35 AM   #48
Sankara

I'm sorry - but it is the truth... :-)
Old 01-03-2008, 05:19 AM   #49
metalinvader
IndyFan

It's a shame that we can't have a Young Indy discussion without it turning into this http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=11736
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:26 AM   #50
Sankara

I agree!!!