TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 01-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Prague, August 1917

I can only imagine showing it to a first-time YIJC viewer/IJ film fan or YIJC hater.

I've always seen the episode as a parody of Jones' almost cartoonish determination in situations such as the truck chase in ROTLA. When you watch him get out of such situations, you often don't think of how ridiculous the situation is.

Last edited by Adamwankenobi : 01-15-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Flannery10
IndyFan

Ouch, that would really mess up some people before they have seen great episodes. The first episode I saw was, thank god, Phantom Train of Doom and then Treasure of the Peacock's Eye and I was impressed enough to watch other episodes, without the action aproach, and was quiet impressed. Besides Prague I quiet disliked Paris 1916, but that's not what the thread is about.
Flannery10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Is Prague 1917 now the second half of "Adventures in the Secret Service"? Otherwise I seen it.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
Aaron H
Moderator Emeritus

If I had only seen this episode and nothing before? I wouldn't be here.
Aaron H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
Flannery10
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
Is Prague 1917 now the second half of "Adventures in the Secret Service"? Otherwise I seen it.

No, that's Petrograd, a difficult but rather thrilling episode. Prague is now the second half of Espionage Escapades.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:55 AM   #6
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flannery10
Besides Prague I quiet disliked Paris 1916, but that's not what the thread is about.

The only thing I dislike about that episode was the fact the actress looked nothing like Mata Hari. Really, nothing.

It was odd though, I taped it when I was 11 or 12 - and it was the only Young Indy episode I refused to show my parents, I was so scared/embarrased by the sex scenes!
Matinee Idyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #7
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matinee Idyll
The only thing I dislike about that episode was the fact the actress looked nothing like Mata Hari. Really, nothing.

It was odd though, I taped it when I was 11 or 12 - and it was the only Young Indy episode I refused to show my parents, I was so scared/embarrased by the sex scenes!

Lately I've been watching the series with my 13-year old cousin. Needless to say, the Mata Hari episode is his favorite.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
metalinvader
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
Lately I've been watching the series with my 13-year old cousin. Needless to say, the Mata Hari episode is his favorite.

That's awesome that you are showing the show to a younger audience!So,Besides the obvious reason why he likes the Mata Hari episode ( ) Does he like the rest of the series?
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

I dunno, Prague 1917 is like one of my favourite episodes, just my sense of humour I suppose, that and I love Franz Kafka, and I've had a day just like that. Eerily like that actually.... man.. yeah. nightmare
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
Flannery10
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Jones
I dunno, Prague 1917 is like one of my favourite episodes, just my sense of humour I suppose, that and I love Franz Kafka, and I've had a day just like that. Eerily like that actually.... man.. yeah. nightmare

Oh, yeah it is very funny, no doubt, but in my opinion even for an Indiana Jones adventure a little to silly and farfetched.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalinvader
That's awesome that you are showing the show to a younger audience!So,Besides the obvious reason why he likes the Mata Hari episode ( ) Does he like the rest of the series?

Yeah, he likes it. I mean, he doesn't love it like I do, but he gets the concept and enjoys seeing what trouble in history Indy'll get himself into next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flannery10
Oh, yeah it is very funny, no doubt, but in my opinion even for an Indiana Jones adventure a little to silly and farfetched.

That's how I feel about it as well. I love YIJC and I like Radioland Murders, but not mixed together.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #12
IndySeven
IndyFan

That episode was so funny! The way that Indy was hanging onto the street pole was sooo funny! This is one of my top 3 favorite YIJC episodes!
IndySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:42 AM   #13
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matinee Idyll

So in a way it was Young Indy who gave you "that talk"... Well, Lucas did want this TV series to be educational...
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #14
Junior Jones
IndyFan

When I first saw it, I hated the Prague episode. I had no idea who Franz Kafka was, other than having heard his name. But after doing some historical research (as I always did after a new episode) I grew to appreciate the episode a lot more. It's really as if Kafka is telling Indy's story this time.
Junior Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #15
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

competely agree with Junior Jones here, thats what I thought... also not that far fetched, once I was trying to get something printed out for college, 70 pages, took 2 days of running around trying to get it printed, but everywhere I went something went wrong, computers stopped working, they wouldn't load the file, ran out of ink, at one point I even sat across from a board of directors in a printing warehouse, trying to argue my print, which they agreed with, marched across this huge factory floor, only in their design shop, the program didnt' run there either. Yes. Incandescent with rage. But in a funny way....
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #16
OhioJones
IndyFan

Quote:

I've never seen the series. Got volume one for Christmas and getting volume two for my birthday coming up. Something I should know about?
OhioJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #17
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJones
Something I should know about?

The episode has some brief nudity in the museum scenes, and a brief sex scene between Indy and Mata Hari.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 PM   #18
IndyJr.
IndyFan

Quote:
The episode has some brief nudity in the museum scenes, and a brief sex scene between Indy and Mata Hari.

two brief scenes... as well as a stripper scene
IndyJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:26 AM   #19
Bullwhip
IndyFan

Plus that weird scene when Indy is in nothing but leather breeches. Plus the goat.
Bullwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #20
Indy Smith
IndyFan

I remember this story if I recall correctly mainly from him trying to run about and get a phone working. Some of the stories if I can recall were played down to a more younger audience as if it was preaching to kids. Certainly I found the episodes that seemed to be comical episodes were not too funny because it felt like they were being "played up".

There's an old tale that when a man is trying to change a tyre and he is having a bad time doing it that to him the situation isn't funny. Hwever to those watching from a distance it might be funny. However if he realises he's being watched and thinks he can make people laugh he starts playing it up as a gag it then becomes not funny. Comedy is certainly a difficult thing to execute. If you have to play it up don't, beause on second viewings it will feel too played up. Wheras if it's not played up on a second viewing it will be deemed as a serious event.

I think I blabbered a lot there...I wonder if it made sense?
Indy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #21
Stoo
IndyFan

Not one of my favourites but there is one part I really love. Indy puts oranges
in the pantyhose to make a bola and when he uses it to grab the pole there
are some cool whip sound effects.

A redeeming quality of this series is the multitude of great characters
sprinkled throughout every episode. "Prague" has some great ones.

One or two shots were reversed/flipped which I noticed because of the
buildings in the background. You can also tell by looking at Indy's hat
and his clothes in one of the scenes near the Charles bridge at his
contact's stand/kiosque. (I think it's when they first meet.)

I went to Prague a few months and it's everything people always say it is.
Absolutely beautiful!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #22
Indy Smith
IndyFan

Prague is a city they say you must Czech out! :P
Indy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #23
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Smith
Prague is a city they say you must Czech out! :P

That would have been a perfect line for the episode!
Old 02-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #24
Flannery10
IndyFan

I'd say, that this episode (Prague, not Paris) could have been fixed, just by some Old Indy bookends, in which he says, that everything was just a dream or they could have come up with some other explanation. But without any explanation at all, it's ridicolous.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #25
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

oops, nevermind