TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #126
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan
 
Dr. Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo

For Dr. Gonzo:
Similar to, "X Files", is another mid-90s show called, "Dark Skies", that ran for only one season. It creatively ties the alien phenomenon into many major, historical events of the U.S. in the early 1960s. (Ex. JFK assassination, The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, etc.) One episode, "The Last Wave", takes place in 1964 Los Angeles and guess who is a main character in that one? A young, UCLA film student named, Jim Morrison!

Really? I have to try and find that episode!!!

I do recall Dark Skies and wondered what happened to it. I didn't see that Morrison episode though. Nice! Thanks Stoo.


That episode you're are talking about Stoo, was it filmed in black and white?
If so the episode is called "The Post-Modern Prometheus".

EDIT: The episode is in fact called "Home" and is considered to be one of the most popular and disturbing episodes of the X-files. I actually believe they were not going to air it and changed their mind airing it much later on Halloween.

Last edited by Dr. Gonzo : 11-14-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #127
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
I wonder if they'll ever return him to us?
We might get the answer in 5 weeks, on December 21st 2012.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
A quick search using the terms X-Files hillbilly sex mother brought up the episode Home from Season 4.

indeed!

There's been a few gruesome episodes within the first two seasons: the necrophiliac in Irrestistible, the cannibals in Our Town, the nail through the nose and the part-time conjoined twin in Humbug...
That's it! The Peacock family (and I forgot that there were 3 brothers, not 2). Since you haven't watched season 4 yet, I'm sorry if I spoiled the episode.

Those others you mention sound quite unsettling. Another special one had the story told twice. One version through Mulder's point-of-view and the other from Scully's. Very interesting and very humorous. (Don't know the title or which season.)

Gillian Anderson used to be a punker!

P.S. Gonzo, I have the entire "Dark Skies" series. Let me clear out my PM Inbox and I'll send you my e-mail address.

Last edited by Stoo : 11-14-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #128
AndyLGR
IndyFan
 
AndyLGR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 837
Wasnt Home the one with the mother under the bed on a tray with wheels. Very disturbing and very Wrong Turn.

I thought Dark Skies was ok, evn though it was obviously cashing on the X files. Equally I thought Millenium was decent, but again was under the shadow of the X Files.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 AM   #129
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Since you haven't watched season 4 yet, I'm sorry if I spoiled the episode.

Not at all. I didn't read the wiki post. Partially knowing what's coming is just intriguing.


While the alien/conspiracy storyline is the main arc, the non-arc stories are told so well that they're more than just placeholders creating anticipation of the next big conspiracy revelation.

I'm probably going to have to fill in the gaps in the collection, too. Along with getting hold of the films.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #130
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Reached the end of Season 3 and still enjoying the episodes.

There were, however, a couple that seemed out of step. They were fun, but they felt like parody episodes: War of the Coprophages and Jose Chung's From Outer Space.

During War of the Coprophages (the cockroach one), I was thinking right up until the end that it must be an extended dream sequence. It felt very surreal, and somewhat reminiscent of Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis.

Even when it ended it was still difficult to rationalize it. That the cockroaches were robotic and of alien source - but maybe not all of them.
That the people all died of various causes relating to cockroaches, but more in the nature of accidents and reactions to them. Bambi's 'house' with the rippling wallpaper in the middle of a high security area.

Scully's envy over Mulder's perceived affair with Bambi was interesting as there's barely been anything between the two FBI agents up until that moment, apart from the odd show of tender friendship.

Jose Chung's From Outer Space was pretty wacky as well, especially with the Harryhausen alien!
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #131
AndyLGR
IndyFan
 
AndyLGR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Reached the end of Season 3 and still enjoying the episodes.

There were, however, a couple that seemed out of step. They were fun, but they felt like parody episodes: War of the Coprophages and Jose Chung's From Outer Space.

During War of the Coprophages (the cockroach one), I was thinking right up until the end that it must be an extended dream sequence. It felt very surreal, and somewhat reminiscent of Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis.

Even when it ended it was still difficult to rationalize it. That the cockroaches were robotic and of alien source - but maybe not all of them.
That the people all died of various causes relating to cockroaches, but more in the nature of accidents and reactions to them. Bambi's 'house' with the rippling wallpaper in the middle of a high security area.

Scully's envy over Mulder's perceived affair with Bambi was interesting as there's barely been anything between the two FBI agents up until that moment, apart from the odd show of tender friendship.

Jose Chung's From Outer Space was pretty wacky as well, especially with the Harryhausen alien!
Not hard to miss are they? The quirky episodes were very strange. Almost like they were taking the piss out of themselves...

"small potatoes" in season 4 and "fight club" in season 7 spring to mind.

I remember discussing these with a friend of mine, all because CSI started doing similar quirky episodes too.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #132
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLGR
Not hard to miss are they? The quirky episodes were very strange. Almost like they were taking the piss out of themselves...

"small potatoes" in season 4 and "fight club" in season 7 spring to mind.

I remember discussing these with a friend of mine, all because CSI started doing similar quirky episodes too.

When I went through the extras the director of Jose Chung's said that as it was to be his last episode he decided to throw everything into it. And he was surprised Gillian could keep a straight face through most of it!

Lord Kimbolt, the Harryhausen alien, was made specifically as a homage. They took out frames to make him jerky. So, while the story is told from various different viewpoints, at least one observer believed they were witnessing a stop-motion creature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLGR
Almost like they were taking the piss out of themselves...

That's exactly how they played to me.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:07 AM   #133
AndyLGR
IndyFan
 
AndyLGR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 837
And from memory the quirky episodes had an odd score to them too, that emphasised the silly aspect too. Which is exactly what CSI Vegas did in their own piss take episodes I thought.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #134
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
I made my way through the first season of Supernatural, which was noted to be 'the new X-Files' ...or something.

Apart from a few episodes I didn't think there was any real comparison in terms of the quality of the lead actors or the scripts. The 'monster of the week' entries were generally formulaic, bland and clichéd, apart from The Pilot, Scarecrow and Asylum.

Getting through Supernatural put me back on track with the X-Files. I'm on Season 5, and immediately the difference in class is apparent.

Last edited by Montana Smith : 08-24-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #135
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan
 
Dr. Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith

Getting through Supernatural put me back on track with the X-Files. I'm on Season 5, and immediately the difference in class is apparent.

The final episode of season 5 is called "The End" ...if you truly want to watch the "whole series" chronologically, after that episode you need to watch the first X-Files film... as that is where you're supposed to view it and when the film came out (between season 5 and 6). Then move on to the season 6 premiere "The Beginning".
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #136
Montana Smith
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
The final episode of season 5 is called "The End" ...if you truly want to watch the "whole series" chronologically, after that episode you need to watch the first X-Files film... as that is where you're supposed to view it and when the film came out (between season 5 and 6). Then move on to the season 6 premiere "The Beginning".

Thanks for the tip.

I have to stop at the end of 5 because while I have 7, I don't have 6!

(My favourite seller on Play.com has the movie DVD cheap, so mission already accomplished).

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #137
Moedred
Administrator
 
Moedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,897


If you're reading the Season 10 comic concluding in June, stop, because the 6-episode miniseries shooting this summer follows a different canonicity. If this tv revival doesn't work there will be many others soon.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #138
Duaner
IndyFan
 
Duaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere Out There
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
If you're reading the Season 10 comic concluding in June, stop, because the 6-episode miniseries shooting this summer follows a different canonicity. If this tv revival doesn't work there will be many others soon.

The new miniseries will kick off in January after the NFC Championship Game. Cannot wait!!!
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #139
Moedred
Administrator
 
Moedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,897
Spoiler, the season 10 finale was all a dream. Season 11 is half through, and includes an episode about the Mandela Effect. Gillian Anderson says she's done after this but Chris Carter says that wouldn't be the end.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #140
TheFedora
IndyFan
 
TheFedora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
Spoiler, the season 10 finale was all a dream. Season 11 is half through, and includes an episode about the Mandela Effect. Gillian Anderson says she's done after this but Chris Carter says that wouldn't be the end.

The Mandela effect episode actually made me question some of the series that had already taken place up to then. I mean it was implied that guy was at least partially right.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:35 AM   #141
IndyBuff
IndyFan
 
IndyBuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,395
I've only seen the first episode of Season 11 but so far I've heard decent things about the season. I'm looking forward to finally catching all the episodes.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #142
Moedred
Administrator
 
Moedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,897
As usual this season there's an even split between tedious mythology episodes, whimsical episodes (2, 4, 7) and pedestrian procedurals. Likeable characters keep it afloat, and I like where it left them, some with question marks.

Now that Gillian Anderson is free maybe she'll come crawling back for more.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.