Little things you notice about the movies

Uki

It's pretty obvious the "and tanks...You're welcome" bit was writte as a gag. I got it when I first saw the film, and I was only about eight years old then. It's that subtle humor that is littered about the series that I love.

whipem

*Sigh*

I thought the "tanks" discussion was dead, but I'll just say that I doubt Donovan would have mistaken it for "thanks". But whatever.

oki9Sedo

Again, the joke was not "Tanks!" "You're welcome!".

The joke was Donovan asking the Sultan for support, and then the Sultan listing about 5,000,000 things he would provide, and then Donovan, instead of saying "Thank you", ironically says "You're welcome", since the Sultan is in fact giving all this stuff AS a thank you, an excessive one at that, and so doesn't need to be thanked. Its a cheeky little observation, wittily delivered. Watch it again. Its a joke that has been done many times.

"Tanks!"
"You're welcome."

I mean really.

Stoo

This was posted in another thread. I suggested indyflys_solo post it here but it seems he/she is not around.
Hope indyflys doesn't mind:

indyflys_solo said:
I never actually realized how apt Henry Sr.'s "I should have mailed it to the Marx Brothers!" line was until I actaully watched a few Marx Bros. films. Funny to think that Henry had probably gone to the theatre and seen those movies too...
In the Mark Bros. movie "Duck Soup" (one of the best political satires I've ever seen), Chico is told by Groucho to go out on the battlefield and win a war. Chico retorts that he won't go out, not unless he's in one of those "big armored things that go up and down." Groucho says "Tanks?" to which Chico responds "You're welcome."
In Last Crusade, the Sultan of Hatay's "...horses, camels, desert vehicles, provisions, and tanks," and Donavan's "You're welcome" are Lucas and Spielberg's homage to the real movies of the 30s... ;)
2 Marx Brothers references in the same Indy movie. I think we can say the line is not a coincidence.;)

ReggieSnake

Stoo said:
2 Marx Brothers references in the same Indy movie. I think we can say the line is not a coincidence.;)
I think you're right.;) I saw that post in the other thread; what a great reference! Makes for a funny line too. Nice catch Indyflys!(y)

The Drifter

Another thing that I meant to mention.
Anyone ever notice when Indy if fighting to get the antedote, he turns around and punches a woman right in the face?

indyflys_solo

Stoo suggested I post this on here, so here it is:

I never actually realized how apt Henry Sr.'s "I should have mailed it to the Marx Brothers!" line was until I actaully watched a few Marx Bros. films. Funny to think that Henry had probably gone to the theatre and seen those movies too...
In the Mark Bros. movie "Duck Soup" (one of the best political satires I've ever seen), Chico is told by Groucho to go out on the battlefield and win a war. Chico retorts that he won't go out, not unless he's in one of those "big armored things that go up and down." Groucho says "Tanks?" to which Chico responds "You're welcome."
In Last Crusade, the Sultan of Hatay's "...horses, camels, desert vehicles, provisions, and tanks," and Donavan's "You're welcome" are Lucas and Spielberg's homage to the real movies of the 30s... ;)

whipem

indyflys_solo said:
Stoo suggested I post this on here, so here it is:

Really...that basically solves that argument, then.

In LC when Indy was hanging from the side-cannon of the tank, he had the problem that his bag-strap had caught itself on the cannon's barrel, which - according to the movie - had him "trapped" there, with no way out. The first strange thing is he could've just take his arm out of the strap to be free... the second strange thing is, he suddenly doesn't have a problem anymore and climbs back onto the tank... (although they cut right before you would've seen that the strap was still holding him back).

lynchpin

Armies be the rocks and the trees...

Fantastic observation about Duck Soup. And here I've got the film right in front of me.

Two other Last Crusade notes I've always noticed but tend to forget:

I always liked how the baddie who lands the first punch on Indy in the prologue actually shakes out his fist because after all, punching somebody does hurt.

Also, Indiana is firing his Webley at the incoming Nazi planes when Henry and he steal away in the airplane -- which is why he's out of ammunition shortly before Henry "invokes" the works of Charlemagne moments later.

The Drifter

Someone slap me!
I feel so dumb! I was watching Last Crusade just now, and I noticed (for the first time, after multiple viewings) that The Canyon of the Cresent Moon, is well. . . .shaped like a cresent moon!

I feel so retarded. Thought I would share my stupidity.

Laserschwert said:
In LC when Indy was hanging from the side-cannon of the tank, he had the problem that his bag-strap had caught itself on the cannon's barrel, which - according to the movie - had him "trapped" there, with no way out. The first strange thing is he could've just take his arm out of the strap to be free... the second strange thing is, he suddenly doesn't have a problem anymore and climbs back onto the tank... (although they cut right before you would've seen that the strap was still holding him back).

The bag strap is actually under his jacket in LC (unlike in KOTCS). So, while it is implausible, it would be tricky to get the bag off without the jacket, especially under those circumstances.

Sam Falco

He probably fell onto the gun at an alkward angle and it snagged the strap under the jacket, then he was stuck because his jacket prevented him from getting it all the way off. During the last moments of that suspenseful near-death experience you actually CAN see him trying to wiggle out of the bag's strap.

Another thing to think about is, if Indy DID manage to drop off the tank, he would have A. Run the risk of getting crushed by the treds and B. He probably wouldnt have had another shot at getting back ON the tank.

AnImaginaryBoy

You know it never occured to me about the "And tanks," "You're welcome!" exchange was a Marx Brothers reference, but I do like the idea!

Also there's another bit of vaguely Marx Brothers-esq humour in The Last Crusade, when Sallah meets Marcus in the market-place, and they run into the Nazi agents. When one of the Nazi agents greets Marcus, he bows to him, and Marcus bends backwards to avoid the bow, which is exactly what Harpo does in a scene from Day At the Race! So, anybody reckon that's another little reference to the greatest comedy act of the 20th century?

Well, with the bag strap thing, if the bag sort of swings out, it can very easily loop over the gun as you fall, and leave you hanging I tried it once in a museam, worked better then I thought it would... still amazed nobody said anything.. have a picture of it, though not sure how to get it on here. I always notice that vogels shovel blows come nowhere near indy's hands though.
Image:N622214103_86133_7699.jpg

Last edited:

ReggieSnake

AnImaginaryBoy said:
You know it never occured to me about the "And tanks," "You're welcome!" exchange was a Marx Brothers reference, but I do like the idea!

Also there's another bit of vaguely Marx Brothers-esq humour in The Last Crusade, when Sallah meets Marcus in the market-place, and they run into the Nazi agents. When one of the Nazi agents greets Marcus, he bows to him, and Marcus bends backwards to avoid the bow, which is exactly what Harpo does in a scene from Day At the Race! So, anybody reckon that's another little reference to the greatest comedy act of the 20th century?
I wouldn't doubt it in the slightest.

Kooshmeister

Two things I just noticed watching Raiders:

-When Indy is climbing down into the map room you can see the airfield and the flying wing off in the distance. It's also visible when those two Germans come up and accost Sallah.

-When Belloq, Dietrich and Gobler are walking, and Belloq is saying, "Who knows, perhaps the Ark is still waiting in some antechamber," blah, blah, blah, Sallah walks by right between him and Dietrich and makes a show of covering his face.

Vance said:
One thing I saw in that scene was that Vogel seemed very upset to lose the car. Since he was Staff Officer on the expedition, wouldn't it have been his car? :)
Indeed; he looked very strict and irate.

The Drifter

The head of Forrestal:
026.jpg

Also looks alot like the head from ToD albeit a bit more decomposed.
277.jpg

It looks like they even have the same snarl/scream frozen on their face.