Why no opening title?

Adamwankenobi

One thing that has always struck me as odd about the re-edits is that they aren't presented under a series title in the opening credits. It's almost as if we're supposed to accept them as stand-alone films. But because of that, the individual titles often lack context: "My First Adventure", "Travels with Father", "Winds of Change", etc. I wish that, in the re-edits, each opened with The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones title, and then had the individual titles as subtitles or maybe in quotations. :confused:

I really miss this. It was my favorite part of the show. Great Laurence Rosenthal theme that was really in the John Williams adventure style with a great photo montage that really got you pumped up to watch the show every week.

Crack that whip

I gather it's because they're being presented as "movies" rather than "episodes," and hence each has its own title.

Of course, in this series, that still doesn't explain why each one doesn't begin with "(Young) Indiana Jones and the...," particularly since those that were "movies" to begin with started out with such titles, but there you go...

tupogirl

Heck, even if the theme got it's own stand alone blip somewhere on each set of volumes...*sigh* What a waste of a great theme song.

LawgSkrak

I really wish they'd just put the damn shows on as they aired. I just watched "My First Adventure" for the first time since they were on TV. Blah! Both halves were solid entertaining stories, but really, what do they have to do with each other?

Couldn't Lucas have put a "Two Years later, and the date when it switched from one story to another? Would have made it seem less jarring seeing Cory Carrier suddenly age 2 yrs in 5 seconds or air time.

Seriously, i don't know what is going through Lucas's head these days. It's like he looks down on the televison format. He makes EVERY TV show he's ever made into movies when he releases them on DVD, even if it screws up the feel and the flow of otherwise excellent shows. It's like he's trying to take what he looks at as an inferior product and improving it, when actually he's making the original way worse.

PLEASE GOD!!! Don't let him do this when he releases the new Star Wars TV shows on DVD. (Hopefully, he'll do the new live action series as a series of 2-part episodes, so if he feels the need to make them into movies for DVD, it won't hurt anything).

DrHapgood

tupogirl said:
Heck, even if the theme got it's own stand alone blip somewhere on each set of volumes...*sigh* What a waste of a great theme song.

Well, at least it's the Menu music for almost every disc. I can't tell you how often I've left the Menu playing for almost half an hour just to hear the theme music over and over again. :D

phantom train

Yes, I miss both the intro theme song from the show, as well as the month, year, and location that was in the beginning of each episode (in text on the bottom), i.e. "British East Africa, September 1909", etc. It's been so long since I watched the original show, I can't remember if this text was in the
G. Hall bookends or at the beginning of the actual Young Indy scenes.

Though the theme song is now on the menus of the DVD's (which is better than not having it available at all), I miss that in the show as well (though you can hear snippets of this theme throughout certain episodes/tele-films).
Also, though the year and location of each tele-film is on the menu also, the months aren't included :(

I remember back when the show was originally on, I tried putting together a chronological calendar with all of the YIJC episodes in order - this was easy to do when you knew the months that each episode took place in.
As an aside, back in the early days of the Internet (1995-1996), there was a website that had all of the YIJC episodes in chronological order, and included the month along with the location and year. I don't know if this site is still around, though.

Stoo

Adamwankenobi said:
I wish that, in the re-edits, each opened with The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones title, and then had the individual titles as subtitles or maybe in quotations.
Crack that whip said:
Of course, in this series, that still doesn't explain why each one doesn't begin with "(Young) Indiana Jones and the...," particularly since those that were "movies" to begin with started out with such titles, but there you go...
This I find truly bizarre. Hearing the air-raid siren and seeing the name, Indiana Jones, at the beginning of "Hawkmen" can send chills up your spine.
DrHapgood said:
Well, at least it's the Menu music for almost every disc. I can't tell you how often I've left the Menu playing for almost half an hour just to hear the theme music over and over again.:D
I know what you mean! The only problem is that, although it's "Teen Indy's" theme, its' not the full opening theme.
The jungle & ragtime bits aren't there.
phantom train said:
Yes, I miss both the intro theme song from the show, as well as the month, year, and location that was in the beginning of each episode (in text on the bottom), i.e. "British East Africa, September 1909", etc. It's been so long since I watched the original show, I can't remember if this text was in the
G. Hall bookends or at the beginning of the actual Young Indy scenes.
The locations & dates were in the centre of a black screen that dissolved into the G.Hall segments.
They would appear without warning after the 1st commercial break so, if you were recording the show,
you had to be ready.
phantom train said:
I remember back when the show was originally on, I tried putting together a chronological calendar with all of the YIJC episodes in order - this was easy to do when you knew the months that each episode took place in.
As an aside, back in the early days of the Internet (1995-1996), there was a website that had all of the YIJC episodes in chronological order, and included the month along with the location and year. I don't know if this site is still around, though.
I did the exact same thing and used to watch them in order all the time, had my own timeline written out.
Like you, in '96, I found that innermind site and saw there was someone just as nuts! I think it's still around...

Anyway, it's great to have more Young Indy fans around here now.(y) 3 years ago this section of the board barely had a pulse.

Crack that whip

For my recent beginning-to-end Indy viewing in the run-up to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull I watched all the Young Indy material according to the "new" chronology used in the DVD sets. On my recent visit to see family and friends back home I picked up a bunch of my old tapes of the ABC airings (and the Family Channel's original presentation of some of the additional "movies"), which I haven't seen in a while; I'm hoping they're still watchable, and if so I'll go through the show again, but this time using the original chronology (and with the bookends, huzzah!).

I'm glad to say I have the soundtrack CDs, so I can still hear the series theme anytime even away from the original versions of the shows (or any versions, for that matter). I'd hope that with the recent resurgence of interest in all things Indy, Varèse Sarabande would reissue the four discs (not for myself, but just so other fans could get them without paying through the nose on the secondary market), but I think we'd have heard something about it by now if it were going to happen. A cursory search of the iTunes Store showed me there's a cover version available on a couple albums of covers of various TV themes, but from checking out the sample, well... let's just say I'd consider it a version of last resort. :sick: I'm just glad I have the OSTs.

Adamwankenobi

phantom train said:

Stoo said:
Like you, in '96, I found that innermind site and saw there was someone just as nuts! I think it's still around...

Here you go. :)

tupogirl

I miss the jazz and jungle mix of the theme. I wish they had done an extended version of that one! I found my Vol 1 tape, so I've been blasting the Verdun section while driving in my truck:). People are afeared of me, I tell ya!

I miss the month, date, etc too. I like knowing things like that.

InexorableTash

Crack that whip said:
I'd hope that with the recent resurgence of interest in all things Indy, Varèse Sarabande would reissue the four discs (not for myself, but just so other fans could get them without paying through the nose on the secondary market), but I think we'd have heard something about it by now if it were going to happen.

There was a speculative thread (http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewt...start=15&sid=5db67dbbe48cca653e0615852080a6df) on the Intrada Soundtracks Forum from way back in 2006 about the soundtracks - specifically, that episodes scored by Frederic Talgorn had never gotten an OST release.

From what I can gather, Intrada focuses on limited-release OSTs for limited markets (i.e. fans, OST junkies, etc).

Perhaps YIJC fans from this board could spawn a new thread on Intrada's forum proposing (begging?) for either a redux of the Varèse Sarabande releases (if VS is not inclined to do it) or (my dream), going after the unreleased YIJC scores, such as:

Curt Sobel "Masks of Evil"
Joel McNeely "Attack of the Hawkmen"
Frederic Talgorn "Trenches of Hell"
Laurence Rosenthal "Hollywood Follies" (EMMY AWARD WINNING!)

Crack that whip

InexorableTash said:
There was a speculative thread (http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewt...start=15&sid=5db67dbbe48cca653e0615852080a6df) on the Intrada Soundtracks Forum from way back in 2006 about the soundtracks - specifically, that episodes scored by Frederic Talgorn had never gotten an OST release.

From what I can gather, Intrada focuses on limited-release OSTs for limited markets (i.e. fans, OST junkies, etc).

They do indeed (I'm one such OST junkie). I'd very much love it if they issued some Young Indy music.