Could it have been worse?

Forbidden Eye said:
If Shia wore the hat.
Ooooh...that would have been tough.

Would you care if, when he wore it, he was killed by case of mistaken identity?

goodeknight said:
Face the rabid dobermans and make for an escape - turn to page 98.
Run for the treasure room, guarded by monkeys wearing armor with fanged skull codpieces - turn to page 112.
Who wouldn't rip pages to get to page 112?!

Wait...you better not have spoiled the book man!

Montana Smith

Forbidden Eye said:
If Shia wore the hat.

And Harrison had refused to be in the film.

Now that would have been far worse.

After a test showing Indy 4 would have 'gone straight to video'. Most copies would have gathered dust on the shelves until somebody decided it would be best to donate them all to charity shops. Invariably 90% of them would have ended up as landfill.

kongisking

Rocket Surgeon said:
Let your freak flag fly...but it is good to know.:hat:

Got a good laugh out of this one.(y)

Oh, now you're losing me...

Come over to my place,I have a trophy for you!;)

I appreciate your delusional honesty...so without starting another thread, how crazy would you have LIKED it to get?

Armor on the monkeys? Would Indy kissing the <strike>Alien</strike> IDB on the cheek be too much?
How about a full on love scene with Marion... hmm huh hmm?

Okay, I'll admit, I just shot myself in the foot with my little "cruel, snide and vulgar jerks" remark. Like I said, I used to be just as vicious toward the opposing side as a lot of haters are to my kin, so I must have been relapsing unintentionally. You still get my point, though, right?

And I'd say that I think KOTCS went just crazy enough without being offensively crazy. I'm a-okay with pretty much all the silly things they did in it, because in my mind, it's justified by sheer dint of being still relatively in the style of Indy.

And I'm not crazy myself. To quote a friend:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S6OifhQ64EM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Goodeknight

Montana Smith said:
After a test showing Indy 4 would have 'gone straight to video'. Most copies would have gathered dust on the shelves until somebody decided it would be best to donate them all to charity shops. Invariably 90% of them would have ended up as landfill.

And the remaining dozen copies in people's hands would have become highly coveted collector's items. The three or so good scenes would be played over and over on YouTube, and people would pay $4,000 for one of the full DVDs. Then they'd watch it and say, "I paid $4,000 for that?"

I Don Quixote

Rocket Surgeon said:
So what would have been over the line for Crystal Skull?

What would have been the straw to break the camel's back?

I think the writing is C at best and the material is a C- at best.

Indiana Jones was inspired by the B movie, it's not supposed to be one.
$125 million to $185 million is not a B movie budget.

You know, people set their expectations too high for this movie. C'mon, 20 years later and you expect it to be like Raiders or Crusade? Even Temple of Doom maybe? I will lower my grade, maybe B-. Not C- though. Even if it's just inspired by B a movie, it should definitely have that feel. In a B movie, you should expect all that goofy adventure stuff.
George Lucas is right. His fans say they want more, but when it comes along, all they do is criticize it. None of the people who were ever a part of those movies should give you more, because you will just scrutinize and pick it apart. It takes hard work to make a movie. And don't say they didn't try hard; They did.

Mickiana

I said:
In a B movie, you should expect all that goofy adventure stuff.

It's precisely what I didn't expect. Raiders was a B movie but its makers put some effort in to give a serious tone. 'Goofy' is not something I want to see in Indiana Jones. 'Goofy' was for the under 12s, as in CS.

So obviously, there is a sliding scale in the B category, with Raiders being towards the top and CS towards the bottom (in my estimation).

I said:
You know, people set their expectations too high for this movie. C'mon, 20 years later and you expect it to be like Raiders or Crusade? Even Temple of Doom maybe? I will lower my grade, maybe B-. Not C- though. Even if it's just inspired by B a movie, it should definitely have that feel. In a B movie, you should expect all that goofy adventure stuff.
George Lucas is right. His fans say they want more, but when it comes along, all they do is criticize it. None of the people who were ever a part of those movies should give you more, because you will just scrutinize and pick it apart. It takes hard work to make a movie. And don't say they didn't try hard; They did.

But...

...what about the questions.

You know I work hard to come up with topics for discussion and you just come in here and poop all over it with your scrutiny and picking just ignoring the important part!

To think I contributed to your kissing thread!

Finn

Staff member
goodeknight said:
I just read your "contribution." I still feel violated. You obviously put some thought into it. Shameful...
Translation: "Deep inside I liked it, and am only disgusted by the thought of wanting more."

Udvarnoky

Of course the movie could have been worse. It could have been way worse. But the fact that this question is even on the table is pretty damning and kind of sums it up.

Udvarnoky said:
Of course the movie could have been worse. It could have been way worse. But the fact that this question is even on the table is pretty damning and kind of sums it up.

No doubt, but it's more interesting as a question of personal taste...

Some people outright reject it, and emotions run all the way through "they can do no wrong".

Was there a tipping point for you?

What would they have had to do for you to "Go Sankara", so to say.

Mickiana

Have all the latest cheerleaders for CS met Sankara? If they thought we were harsh.....

I find it a hard question to answer because I shudder to think what they could have done to make it worse. Besides more of the mistakes evident, I can't think of anything except the plain ridiculous, but one turn off I can think of is seeing Indy put his falsies into a glass of water at beddy bye time.

I Don Quixote

Rocket I'm sorry. Can you forgive me?
Also, I left a reply in my kissing thread. I may want it deleted. I just feel too silly reading your responses.

Very silly.

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
What would they have had to do for you to "Go Sankara", so to say.
For Raven newcomers: the expression that Rocket used essentially means to go on an endless rampage shouting, "This is NOT an Indiana Jones movie and you're not a TRUE fan if you like it!:gun:"

For me, it would have been worse if they updated the action & editing to follow new trends. I'm glad that Indy didn't jump/fly around performing stylish, martial arts kicks with 2 handguns ablaze or walk away from the nuclear explosion without flinching or even looking back. If hyper-fast editing and super slo-o-o-w mo-o-o-otion shots were used, I probably would have puked.:sick:

Nevermind the story of "Crystal Skull"...Action-wise, the swordfight scene pushed the limit for me but it could have been a whole lot worse if Indy was in Mutt's boots there!:eek:

Mickiana said:
I can't think of anything except the plain ridiculous, but one turn off I can think of is seeing Indy put his falsies into a glass of water at beddy bye time.

WOW! At first I was shocked, falsies is slang for fake boobs...inserted in a bra, at least here in America!:D

That was quite a picture!

I said:
Rocket I'm sorry. Can you forgive me?
Also, I left a reply in my kissing thread. I may want it deleted. I just feel too silly reading your responses.

Very silly.
I'm only goofing! But you still haven't answered the question!

Stoo said:
For Raven newcomers: the expression that Rocket used essentially means to go on an endless rampage shouting, "This is NOT an Indiana Jones movie and you're not a TRUE fan if you like it!:gun:"
I'm not sure I crossed paths with him, but I remember applying his Skull "logic" to Doom and Crusade...

Stoo said:
For me, it would have been worse if they updated the action & editing to follow new trends. I'm glad that Indy didn't jump/fly around performing stylish, martial arts kicks with 2 handguns ablaze or walk away from the nuclear explosion without flinching or even looking back. If hyper-fast editing and super slo-o-o-w mo-o-o-otion shots were used, I probably would have puked.:sick:
A sommersault out of the fridge in mid air landing on one knee and one hand with the other extended out beside/behind him with his head down and sliding a few feet before stopping and slowly lifting his gaze just enough so its visible just under the brim of his fedora...yeah, that woud have been too far.

Stoo said:
Nevermind the story of "Crystal Skull"...Action-wise, the swordfight scene pushed the limit for me but it could have been a whole lot worse if Indy was in Mutt's boots there!:eek:
Oi, I might not have minded him lashing out the whip to catch Mutt from falling...

Last edited:

Mickiana

Rocket Surgeon said:
WOW! At first I was shocked, falsies is slang for fake boobs...inserted in a bra, at least here in America!:D

That was quite a picture!

Hilarious! Teeth, boobs.... add a wig to that as well.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
Hilarious! Teeth, boobs.... add a wig to that as well.

sdcccosplayc14.jpg

On a slightly related note, what if Tintin had been a girl?

sdcccosplayc16.jpg

Further research material is available here.