Samuel Jackson 9 movie deal with Marvel

roundshort

I just heard that Sam Jackson signed a 9 movie deal with marvel. I think we will be very sick of Nick Fury by the time it is all done.

Maybe he and jackman can do a nice song and dance number. I for one do not ever want to see him play wolvie again.

jamesdude

nick%20fury.jpg

THIS IS NICK FURY.....HE IS NOT BLACK!!!!!! :mad:

DocWhiskey

Yeah, the ultimate Nick Fury is basically Sam Jackson long before Sam even played him in Iron Man. Well, Sam gave Marvel the rights of his likeness for the comic series anyway.

Welcome to 2001.

Dyonus

I was saying that for those naysayers who say nay at Nick being black. To me, it sounds like they've never heard of the Ultimate series, otherwise they wouldn't be "OMG, why is he black?"

(When the Ultimate series started, they didn't have the rights to his likeness and drew him more like Denzel Washington and retconned him to Samuel L. Jackson when the rights cleared.)

00Kevin

Indyfan
thats so cool! i can't wait to see more of SLJ as nick fury! i remember first seeing his cameo at the end of iron and the whole theater started cheering!

The Man

He's a happy Mo-fo..!

"No one was more surprised than me that it turned around," Samuel L. Jackson said about his recent nine-picture deal with Marvel after it looked like his brief stint as Nick Fury was almost over as soon as it began. "It's great that it did."

"It's always a joy [to] lose an eye, gain a patch and a really big facial scar in the name of character. Plus, I get to run the largest world-peace task force in the world, S.H.I.E.L.D."

Montana Smith

So...anybody watching Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

A certain Samuel L. Jackson made a cameo last night in episode 2:

agentsofshield_nickfury.jpg

I suppose this adds legitimacy to a show that's very much a poor cousin to a series of major movies.

Episode 1 was promising.

Episode 2 was verging on Relic Hunter/A-Team territory. It looked very antiquated compared to other contemporary/recent TV series.

It was little wonder then that they airlifted Sam in so soon to try to bring some gravitas and credibility to the project.

However, I grew up with the image jamesdude (ret.) posted.

da1.jpg

Marvel comics appear to have so many parallel universes that both shades of old Nick exist. Will they (or have they ever) met each other?

Then there's the issue of his past as Sgt. Fury:

7107-6724-7778-1-sgt-fury.jpg

He would have been a black sergeant in command of white soldiers in a segregated army.

I did a little searching around this subject and quickly found this page:

Wah-Hoo!!

Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos

examined by and © Mark Alexander

From Jack Kirby Collector #24

Enter The Howling Commandos

"There was reality in the stories because of my own war experiences. Sgt. Fury had the essence of military life in it."—Jack Kirby

The story goes like this: One day in late 1962 Stan Lee was trying to convince his skeptical uncle (publisher Martin Goodman) that Marvel's new-found success was due to the fact that he and Jack Kirby had developed a new comic-style which Lee claimed would work in any genre. To prove his point, Stan bet that they could make a hit even with an outdated war-theme and a "horrible title." The result was Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos, a Kirbyesque trek through the battlefields of World War II that was dubbed "The War Mag for People Who Hate War Mags."

Jack Kirby was the obvious choice to illustrate the series. Having tackled combat themes before (see Boy Commandos, Foxhole, Warfront, and Battle), he was able to handle the job with ease and enthusiasm. The commandos that Jack created for Sgt. Fury were colorful characters, startling for their brazen acknowledgement of ethnicity, whose diverse backgrounds formed a microcosm of America itself.

Among their ranks were: Timothy "Dum-Dum" Dugan, a huge, derby-domed Irish-American; Isadore "Izzy" Cohen, a master-mechanic from Brooklyn and the first-ever Jewish comics hero; Dino Manelli, a handsome Italian-American who was also a Hollywood star back in the states (clearly based on Dean Martin); "Rebel" Ralston, an ex-jockey from Kentucky with a pronounced southern accent; "Junior" Juniper, the Ivy Leaguer and eager beaver of the group; and Gabriel Jones, a trumpet-playing jazzman who was Jack and Stan's first (pre-Panther) Black hero. At a time when civil rights was a hotly-contested issue, Kirby and Lee (without concern for sales in the South) showed exactly where they stood on segregation by including a Black soldier in Fury's squad. They were, of course, taking artistic license with this concept; having both served during World War II they knew that the US Army had been segregated at the time. (Fury's anachronistically-integrated squad was not an entirely unique concept; DC's Sgt. Rock, which originated in 1959, featured a Black soldier named Jackie Johnson.) In any event, Gabe's inclusion in the Howlers was a bold move, and when Jones appeared colored pink in the first issue, Lee was obliged to send the color separation company a detailed memo to make it clear that Gabe Jones was a Black man.

This motley melange of misfits whose ferocious battle cry of "WAH-HOO!!" earned them the title "Howling Commandos" was led by Nicholas Joseph Fury, a cigar-chomping, tough-talking Sergeant whose trademarks were a five-o'clock shadow and a perpetually-ripped shirt. A product of the Great Depression, Fury was raised on the Lower East Side of Manhattan known as Hell's Kitchen by his widowed mother, his father (World War I pilot Jack Fury) having died in combat. Fury was a classic Dead-End Kid. He frequented pool halls, got into scrapes, and worked as infrequently as possible. His life turned around when he joined the parish of Chaplain Lewis Hargrove. Fury became best friends with Hargrove's younger brother who was subsequently killed at Pearl Harbor. To avenge his friend's death at the hands of the Axis powers, Fury enlisted in 1941, endured basic training at Fort Dix, and served as a Sergeant in the European Theater of Operations leading the Howlers.

Now there's a novel concept. Underwater cigarettes.

But if Sergeant Fury is, as I suspect, a payroll soldier, surely there must be health and safety regulation conflicts in effect regarding the working environment - passive underwater smoking is a known killer that leads to a whole host of other medical conditions.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
So...anybody watching Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

A certain Samuel L. Jackson made a cameo last night in episode 2:

agentsofshield_nickfury.jpg

I suppose this adds legitimacy to a show that's very much a poor cousin to a series of major movies.

Episode 1 was promising.

Episode 2 was verging on Relic Hunter/A-Team territory. It looked very antiquated compared to other contemporary/recent TV series.

It was little wonder then that they airlifted Sam in so soon to try to bring some gravitas and credibility to the project.

I must be one of the few really enjoying the show so far. I didn't expect it to be anywhere near the epic blockbuster-scale and inventiveness of the proper films, and am judging it by the standard it should be judged by: a simpler, cheaper look at the (relatively) mundane side of that world. Everyone acting like it's already a failure and a blight on the film's quality reputation is bizarre. How many shows take a few episodes (hell, even entire seasons) to reach their potential, anyway?

But regardless, Fury's cameo was sweet. Jackson is always best when pissed off. :cool:

And kudos on that screengrab, Smiffy. Fury's doing the Ford Finger!

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
I must be one of the few really enjoying the show so far. I didn't expect it to be anywhere near the epic blockbuster-scale and inventiveness of the proper films, and am judging it by the standard it should be judged by: a simpler, cheaper look at the (relatively) mundane side of that world. Everyone acting like it's already a failure and a blight on the film's quality reputation is bizarre. How many shows take a few episodes (hell, even entire seasons) to reach their potential, anyway?

But regardless, Fury's cameo was sweet. Jackson is always best when pissed off. :cool:

Episode 2 was such a departure in quality from the first one that it looked like two different shows, except for Sam Jackson coming to the rescue.

The best things are cute nerdy science girl and Rising Damp girl. And the aeroplane, which feels like being aboard a prototype Firefly.

kongisking said:
And kudos on that screengrab, Smiffy. Fury's doing the Ford Finger!

Thought that was an appropriate choice!

He's not much younger than Harrison, so he's out of the running to take over the Indy role - but imagine, Sam Jackson as the black Indy fighting prejudice and injustice across the globe. Would've made the dynamic in ROTLA a little more edgy!

Indy: "Nazis. I hate these guys."

And in TOD they wouldn't have allowed him into Club Obi Wan.

Spiralled off into a what-if thread there!