Timeline questions

OldIndy2323

Does anyone know (or have a decent speculation) for the following:

Background on Marion's mom?

When did Indy start wearing his leather jacket?

What month did the "Princeton 1916" adventure really occur in?

Thanks!

Stoo

Hey, OldIndy2323!:hat:

1) Your guess is as good as anyone else's!
2) As early as October 1922 (though he wore one in a dream during the summer of 1913).
3) February

OldIndy2323

Thanks Stoo!

The reason I'm questioning the Feb. month for "Princeton" is that, after watching it recently, it does not look like Feb. in NJ....even the new bridging material doesn't match Feb.

Could it occur in Sept. 1915?

ps. you still need to tell me why you think Staten Island for Old Indy's residence

Lao_Che

Mrs. Ravenwood doesn't seem to have been part of the family since at least the early 1920s since Abner takes Marion with him on the Ark search specifically so she's not on her own.

Oh, Marion's mother gave birth to her on March 23, 1909 but that's about the only 'fact' there is. ;)

ATMachine

Lao_Che said:
Mrs. Ravenwood doesn't seem to have been part of the family since at least the early 1920s since Abner takes Marion with him on the Ark search specifically so she's not on her own.

Oh, Marion's mother gave birth to her on March 23, 1909 but that's about the only 'fact' there is. ;)
It should actually be 1911.... that'd be in line with her being 25 in Raiders, which the script indicates. Lucas revised her birthdate in the 90's, because he was no longer comfortable with Marion having been only 15 when she first had a fling with Indy. (Despite the fact that it was originally his idea in the first place to make her that young!)

ATMachine said:
It should actually be 1911.... that'd be in line with her being 25 in Raiders, which the script indicates.

It will be interesting to see if, along with being superstar directors, Lucas and Spielberg are remembered as revisionist...

Which begs the question where do you reference this:

Lao_Che said:
Marion's mother gave birth to her on March 23, 1909 but that's about the only 'fact' there is. ;)

The most recent revision is in the Crystal Skull novelization, where it claims Marion met Indy as a student in a graduate class he was teaching...

I guess we can assume Marion is advanced for her age, (but a graduate student?) and maybe Indy was an adjunct, (did they have them then?)...

Stoo

OldIndy2323 said:
The reason I'm questioning the Feb. month for "Princeton" is that, after watching it recently, it does not look like Feb. in NJ....even the new bridging material doesn't match Feb.

Could it occur in Sept. 1915?
You're right that it doesn't look like a February climate but the seasons in which the shows were filmed aren't always consistent with the dates of the episodes (ex. "Somme/Trenches of Hell" in early August with snow on the ground!)

Since the title card for the original episode says "Princeton, February 1916" and Indy's stint in Mexico is definitely March, the climate has never been an issue for me. There's nothing substantial in the new footage to suggest that much time has passed between the Edison adventure and the bridging scenes.

Because of the trees, clothes, etc., I can see why you're thinking September but the fall wouldn't make sense with the story. What has always puzzled me* is how the junior prom could be in February?:confused: If one wanted to, one could argue that the chapter in question takes place in May 1915!:p

*I didn't grow up in the American school system.
OldIndy2323 said:
ps. you still need to tell me why you think Staten Island for Old Indy's residence
Great talking to you. Will get back to that soon enough in the Old Indy thread!;)

Stoo said:
What has always puzzled me* is how the junior prom could be in February?:confused:
In some cases the Junior and Senior prom are a combined event. If not there are instances where brother/sister schools, and simply nearby schools schedule these events so the dates don't conflict. Juniors usually have to take what they can get and this may be a reason as well.

Lao_Che

Rocket Surgeon said:
Which begs the question where do you reference this:

It's from the Ultimate Guide. Which sez Indy and Oxley first met her in January 1920 at Chicago. ;)

Rocket Surgeon said:
The most recent revision is in the Crystal Skull novelization, where it claims Marion met Indy as a student in a graduate class he was teaching...

I guess we can assume Marion is advanced for her age, (but a graduate student?) and maybe Indy was an adjunct, (did they have them then?)...

The novel does say she's in her late 40's as of 1957 along with:

James Rollins said:
Indy still pictured her eyes when they'd first met, when she'd been a young woman, staring at him with such fire and amusement from the back row of his graduate class. It had been those eyes from the start...and always would be.

I'll cling to semantics and say she was sitting in on a class of high school graduates of which Indy was somehow one by then. :p

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
You're right that it doesn't look like a February climate but the seasons in which the shows were filmed aren't always consistent with the dates of the episodes (ex. "Somme/Trenches of Hell" in early August with snow on the ground!)

Since the title card for the original episode says "Princeton, February 1916" and Indy's stint in Mexico is definitely March, the climate has never been an issue for me. There's nothing substantial in the new footage to suggest that much time has passed between the Edison adventure and the bridging scenes.

Because of the trees, clothes, etc., I can see why you're thinking September but the fall wouldn't make sense with the story. What has always puzzled me* is how the junior prom could be in February?:confused: If one wanted to, one could argue that the chapter in question takes place in May 1915!:p

*I didn't grow up in the American school system.
Great talking to you. Will get back to that soon enough in the Old Indy thread!;)

Im from Long Island, not to far from Jersey and we can have mild winters. It depends on the year. I have noticed some of the seasons are a little funky. During the July Revolution in Russia you can see some snow flurries in St. Petersburg. I know Russia is cold but I dont't think its that cold.