Why take Old Indy out the equation?

Goodsport

Moedred said:
It would be nice to see all the Old Indy bookends together, which would probably run less than an hour.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I'm not so sure that alone would be such a good idea. The Old Indy bookends are closely tied to the episode they aired with and wouldn't make much sense without watching them with the entire episode.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I'm hoping that the DVD version of the series includes both the episodes (with the book ends) exactly as they aired on TV, as well as a separate section where (as you've suggested) we can see all the Old Indy bookends together.

-G

Matinee Idyll

Aie, I personally adored the bookends... stupidly I started to tape over my YIJC videos when I heard they were getting an official VHS release... only to find Old Indy gone, voices in "Oganga" redubbed (awfully), the 'joining' scenes terribly made - and any number of other distressing things.

"Y'see that blur there - on the left, reckon that must be me..." - makes those final scenes in Petrograd so much more poignant... these innocent lives are reduced to a frame in an art gallery... Rather than the awkward ending on the edited version.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I always loved that Petrograd episode when he points himself out in a museum. I've got the original "Curse of the Jackal" and it's opening is quite funny in a cheesy way.

MissDefense

I was a bit disappointed to not see Old Indy in the vhs series,but I suppose they did it because they wanted to follow a chronological order and show them as a sort of "movie". Old Indy was a nice old sarcastic man!!

Grizzlor

MissDefense said:
I was a bit disappointed to not see Old Indy in the vhs series,but I suppose they did it because they wanted to follow a chronological order and show them as a sort of "movie". Old Indy was a nice old sarcastic man!!

Lucas did not want to do the bookends, but ABC wouldn't allow him 2 full hours to show each movie, only 1, so he had to split the episodes up, and used the bookends.

IrishLuck1980

I finally, after all these years got my hands on some original episodes of Young Indy. Mind you, I have never watched an episode. I have since watched the following:

Curse of the Jackal Parts 1 & 2
London, May 1916
Verdun, September 1916
German East Africa, 1917
Congo, January 1917
Mystery of the Blues and Princeton, February 1916

I have to say this is one of the best shows I have seen. And I'm not just saying that because I love Indiana Jones. :hat:

But to get back to my point, I love how "Old" Indy opens and closes the episode. Very well done indeed.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if you still have the tapes, or the means to post the bookends on youtube, but there's no other way we're ever going to see them.

HovitosKing

I always found the Harrison Ford cameo in "Mystery of the Blues" a little strange and out-of-character...judge for yourself:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kcwEIs5_z7E"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kcwEIs5_z7E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

If the mythical Indy IV ever happens, I'd hate for it to be anything like this scene.

Grizzlor

Violet Indy said:
And then they became 2 hour movies again.... Like Lucas wanted it to be, like always.

Yes when ABC cancelled the show and the remainder were seen on Family Channel as 2 hour movies, which took out the need for the bookends. I think they SHOULD be included on the DVD's, but you know George when he wants to make a statement.

HovitosKing,

In fairness, the opening segment is much better, where Harrison is driving the pick up truck in a chase with the bad guys. The reality is those scenes came together kind of at the last minute, and Harrison probably couldn't spend much time shooting them, as he was soon starting filming for The Fugitive.

Because Lucas is a revisionist historian, wonder how his ex-wife would characterize him being "left to raise his daughter". Greedoshot first, Indiana Jones and the Raiders ofthe Lost Ark, I had three stories in mind, yeah yeah,sure sure...

Whipper said:
...he wasn't helpless, and he annoyed people in a Good way. A really fun, sarcastic way. For me in the audience, anyway. After all he's been through and learned over the years, Old Indy's not afraid to call people on their pettiness and bull****. There are great morality lessons in his stories. I liked how he wound up shaming the dismissive guy at the hospital into being a hero for that little girl who was shot by donating his blood. "I hate needles," he mutters. [Looks at Indy] "You know, I wish I'd never met you." Indy [smirking]: "I have that effect on people."

I apreciate that, moreso than anything else about old Indy...that and the robbing the non-existant tension regarding a bulletproof Indy in CS.

Oh, he never lost eye...the patch was himrecovering from eye surgery...he had a fish eyelense grafted on.

AnnieJones

Bad Acting?

I think the only episode with bad acting in it,was the two little boys in the museum in Curse of the Jackal.Other than that,I enjoyed the old Indy bookends and wished they would have kept them in.

Stoo

Moedred said:
It would be nice to see all the Old Indy bookends together, which would probably run less than an hour. If someone suggested they contained hints of what happens in Indy 4, fans would analyze the heck out of the DVD they were on!
All together they actually run a little over an hour. (About 1hr. 10mins.) What I want to know is if they filmed any that were never shown.

Annie Jones said:
I think the only episode with bad acting in it,was the two little boys in the museum in Curse of the Jackal.Other than that,I enjoyed the old Indy bookends and wished they would have kept them in.
I agree about the acting. What's interesting is that the 1990s Indy with an eye-patch is still part of the Indiana Jones bio on the official website. The bookends might not have made it to VHS/DVD but Old Indy hasn't been completely wiped from the slate and "out of the equation" (yet)! Anyway, I'm keeping his flame alive with the Old Indiana Jones Chronicles.

Considering, some of Harrison Ford's dialogue in "Mystery of the Blues" (and C.Carrier's narration in "My First Adventure") is almost word-for-word identical to the George Hall's bookends, it would be interesting to see all the segments re-filmed with Ford, as was originally intended. Pipe-dream, perhaps, but I think most fans would warm more to the idea that Indiana Jones eventually becomes a rambling, tall-tale-telling, old man.:eek:

George Hall was Canadian.:)

metalinvader

Stoo said:
Considering, some of Harrison Ford's dialogue in "Mystery of the Blues" (and C.Carrier's narration in "My First Adventure") is almost word-for-word identical to the George Hall's bookends, it would be interesting to see all the segments re-filmed with Ford, as was originally intended. Pipe-dream, perhaps, but I think most fans would warm more to the idea that Indiana Jones eventually becomes a rambling, tall-tale-telling, old man.:eek:

Stoo,I began writing a script for a Harrison book end for the Verdun, September 1916 episode.But like most fan-fiction it never got finished.

It took place in 1950 and it involved Indy having to substitute a history class at the very last minute.Of course Indy has no idea what the subject being taught is.The subject of the class just so happens to be World War I,More specifically...Verdun.

I've gotta finish it one of these days!

Indy_Forever

Good riddance

To be honest i am totally against the idea of having indy with his eye lost and as an old man, i think that old indy to me is Non-canon ;)

Flannery10

Indy_Forever said:
To be honest i am totally against the idea of having indy with his eye lost and as an old man, i think that old indy to me is Non-canon ;)

Not only to you it seems. Since the George Hall segments are gone from the Young Indiana Jones DVD sets, we can assume that Lucas wanted to make sure those who haven't seen them before, would never do so. A shame, but I have said so before.

I think Lucas knew that the episode format wasn't too popular and decided to re-edit the episodes into the more popular 90 minute movies. But it's no secret that the linking segments are horribly done and the George Hall segments terribly missed by some of us.