MySpace and Facebook

monkey

I agree with pale horse.

Some of this new internet stuff is scary. It tries to present itself as fun and inoccuous, but I believe that at heart it is indeed sinister.

Which brings me to the subject of the 'Patriot Act'.

well, on second thought, I'd better not, .......don't know who's watching.

Pale Horse

Staff member
monkey said:
well, on second thought, I'd better not, .......don't know who's watching.

Don't worry monkey, I'll lend you my
afdbsmiley.gif
"tinfoil hat", so you can say what you really think, and all will be okay....

San Holo

After months of pressuring, I gave in to my fiancee's requests, and signed up. I'm not sure if it is global yet, but it is huuuuge here. Just makes me say WTF, is everyone on MySpace.com? Are any of you?

Jay R. Zay

roundshort said:
What is IRC?

irc is The Future?, shorty. :p

seriously... internet relay chat. allows you to create own chatrooms, etc. . looks pretty simple at first but it's really a nice thing if you want to have discussions with many people. for example it was a big help for me in planning websites and stuff like that.

try mIRC, a client software.

roundshort

Sounds cool, but I am like seriously computer handicapped! I am lucky to know how to use this site!

I drink wine for a living for chirst's sake!

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Jay R. Zay said:
irc is The Future™
...of internet crime. IRC provides a great infrastucture for anonymously controlling Botnets; you know these networks of thousands of bot infected machines that have the power to DDoS attac about any site and are responsible for the spreading of about 40% of the spam all over the internet.

Finn

Staff member
Now, that can also be done with the help of almost any peer-to-peer software. After all, IRC doesn't control the bots directly, but is simply used as a channel to slide the malicious piece of code into a noncautious user's hard disk.

But you're generally true, it is a problem for anyone without proper protection.

Then again, there are plenty of websites that are.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Finn said:
Now, that can also be done with the help of almost any peer-to-peer software. After all, IRC doesn't control the bots directly, but is simply used as a channel to slide the malicious piece of code into a noncautious user's hard disk.

But you're generally true, it is a problem for anyone without proper protection.

Then again, there are plenty of websites that are.

Actually the IRC channel is used to command and control the bots directly. The bots automatically connect to the channel to get their orders. The Botnet commander types in comands like .ddos.syn directly into his IRC client and they execute. IRC presents a centralized structure for command and control and that's what makes it pretty weak, that's why botnets have appeared on P2P which is completly decentralized (using GNUtella clients and the WASTE protocol for Phatbot for example). IRC is still much more commonly used expecially considering it is now possible to use dynamic DNS services to change the control center if a suspicious IRC server admin shuts down the channel.

As for infecting machines with malicious code, bots use traditional methodes, they scan the ports of entire networks looking for backdoors and vulnerabilities. Once they identify a vulnerable machine, they do their best to "get root" (using for example an SQL query after exploiting the mssql or mysql port) in order to execute for example a TFTP command that will download the bot onto the machine and execute it.

So...for those who use WindowsXP, it's time to upgrade to SP2 and turn ON the firewall. Because a Windows XP SP1 that connects to the internet is infected by a bot within minutes. And most bots use rootkit technologies which makes them invisible to the system and antivirus. :eek:

On a side note most bots are open-source and freely available under a GPL licence... :eek: :eek: