Jurassic World

TheFedora

Double post:

New Colin Trevorrow interview with empire magazine
Basically he answers every single concern about the trailer.
Page 1
here are Zack (Nick Robinson) and Gray (Ty Simpkins), Jurassic World?s Lex-and-Tim equivalent, being seen off by their parents from snowy Wisconsin on the trip of a (possibly soon-to-be-cut short) lifetime.

And has the director been pleased with the reaction? "I've had people send me pictures and videos of their kids watching it. I see the look in their eyes, and I had that look once. I'd have to be pretty cynical to not be pleased with that."

Page 3:

"It opened in 2005," says Trevorrow of the fully-operational theme park. And InGen are out of the picture. "Masrani Global, owned by Irrfan Khan's character, bought InGen after John Hammond's passing with a very earnest mission to realise his dream. We have a website that details all that backstory. It will get more interesting as we get closer to June."

Page 6:

"We set it in present day, but we've taken some scientific concepts that are in the theoretical stage now and made them real. Kind of like the first movie - we couldn't clone dinosaurs in 1993, and we still can't. It's just a more fantastic version of now.

Page 7: (about Rexy)

So, will we see one in Jurassic World? Trevorrow's response is short and to the point. "You bet your ass you will."

Page 8:
"Steven loves theme park rides," says Trevorrow of the origin of the gyroscope. "He wanted to create a way for people to get up close and personal with the animals, to make it a self-driving, free-roaming experience. It loads on a track, but once you're out there, you actually get to navigate around the valley."

But, as we see later in the trailer, it would seem that the gyrospheres aren't entirely dinosaur-proof. "I'm not sure what you're suggesting," laughs Trevorrow. "I see no way any of that could go wrong."

Page 9 (mosasaur)
It wasn't intended that way, however obvious it seems. The idea came out in one of our first meetings - I didn't know if Steven and Frank [Marshall, producer on all the Jurassic Park movies] had considered an underwater reptile, so I pitched the mosasaurus and went off on the idea. I thought it would be cool if we had this massive animal and the park used one of our most fearsome modern predators as food. There could be a whole other facility where they used shark DNA to mass-produce them to feed the bigger beast. Steven gave me this look like, 'You know I get it, right?' And I sunk a little lower in my chair. And then he said, 'Let's do it'.

"It's a bonkers idea, but I'm comfortable going to Crazytown, because I used to live there when I was a kid. Children have a creative fearlessness that I envy. If you've seen my first movie [sci-fi dramedy, Safety Not Guaranteed], you can see that I don't mind embarrassing myself sometimes. As a result, my working relationship with Steven can feel like that Saturday Night Live sketch, Laser Cats. I walk in with so much confidence, then I look in the mirror and I'm wearing a tinfoil helmet. Half the time I feel like an amateur, and half the time he says, 'No, wear the helmet. The helmet works.'"

Page 10 (about D-rex)
"There is no shortage of awesome dinosaurs," he agrees. "We could have populated this entire story with new species that haven't been in any of these movies. But this new creation is what gave me a reason to tell another Jurassic Park story. We have the most awe-inspiring creatures to ever walk the earth right in front of us, but for some reason that's not enough. We're not entertained. We're always hungry for the next thing, and those who profit from it are always looking to feed that hunger. The focus groups want something bigger than a T-Rex. And that's what they get."

Page 11 (Owen and Claire)

Here, we see Owen and Claire, the Alan Grant and Ellie Satler for a new generation, looking worried. As you might expect. "They have a kind of old school combative chemistry," says Trevorrow of his leads. "We haven't really seen what those two people are like yet, the trailer sticks to moments when they're at their most ominous and concerned. Owen and Claire are real people, and their relationship is a big part of this story. I'm not ashamed of putting a little sexual tension into my dinosaur movie." Isle Nude-blar, anyone? Anyone?

Page 13:

"Obviously I'd love to hold back as much as possible," says Trevorrow. "But Universal has to introduce this movie to people all around the world, and in an era where we're contending with superheroes and space epics, marketing has its own set of needs. We're introducing a relatively new idea. No one under 25 has a memory of seeing the original Jurassic Park in a theatre. The last instalment was 14 years ago. We may see little pieces of her as we get closer - in fact, we already have - but I'm confident that we can keep much of that animal under wraps. She's not the only danger. Far from it."

Page 14
Control room not running on linux

Page 20: OWEN AND RAPTORS

"I like that people aren't sure what the hell they're looking at," he says. "I was concerned about putting this image in an early trailer, but I love that people are as excited about it as they are. It just reinforces that we all want to see something fresh. Those familiar homage shots in our trailer kind of mask how different this movie is from the others, and I'm relieved that people are embracing the new ideas."

Still, the question remains: how can Owen be riding with raptors? "To not dodge the question entirely," says Trevorrow carefully, "Owen's relationship with the raptors is complicated. They aren't friends. These animals are nasty and dangerous and they'll bite your head off if you make the wrong move. But there are men and women out there today who have forged tenuous connections with dangerous predators. That's interesting territory to me."

Page 21:

Our costume designer, Daniel Orlandi, found the vest," says Trevorrow. "I like characters with distinct looks. Bryce's dress was also a very specific choice. She starts out with this snow white pristine outfit, then it all just gets completely torn apart. You see it in the trailer ? that's later the same day. I just want these people to have an unmistakeable identity. If there aren't a bunch of kids walking around with leather vests next Halloween, I've failed."

kongisking

I so appreciate how open and interactive Trevorrow is being. He's gracious enough to address every complaint, and his reasons for his choices all sound sensible and clever. He also sounds really humble and reverent of the series, which earns even more points.

Stoo

TheFedora said:
Yeah, I heard about the dinosaur project. Got terrible reviews all around from dinosaur fans even...more of these 'found footage' type films I think. Well, maybe I need to check out the 'Baby' one then.
All around?:confused: "The Dinosaur Project" received many positive reviews. It's good for a low-budget film and the effects are convincing. For a dinosaur fan, you're cheating yourself by dismissing it without a chance.
TheFedora said:
I'll be honest. I saw Crystal Skull in the theater, but honestly have no memory of watching any trailers for it. I'll be blunt about that. I do remember though that I was thinking after I exited the theater was like 'ugh. Shia Labeouf'. But to get back to topic...maybe Im just a slightly bit biased since I am a bigger fan of JP. I love both franchises, but in the end, its jP merchandise that fills my house, and only a few bits of Indy stuff.
It wasn't a suggestion that you talk about Indiana Jones in *this* thread.:rolleyes:

Aside from that, it's a fair bet that you would've been 'as giddy as a schoolboy' over "Jurassic Park III" previews before the film destroyed your world (if you have any memory of those previews). Teasers/Trailers are no indication of how good a movie will be.
TheFedora said:
I love both franchises
The Indiana Jones Film Series is NOT the Franchise
TheFedora said:
I meant the trailer. Both the teaser AND the trailer really helped ease my fears. I'm also basing my faith on the three websites that the film-makers have for the movie.
Since when did the words, "the teaser", include 3 websites and a film trailer that nobody here besides you had seen yet?:confused: If you meant all of that then it would've been less confusing had you said so in the first place.:whip:

kongisking

Stoo said:
All around?:confused: "The Dinosaur Project" received many positive reviews. It's good for a low-budget film and the effects are convincing. For a dinosaur fan, you're cheating yourself by dismissing it without a chance.
It wasn't a suggestion that you talk about Indiana Jones in *this* thread.:rolleyes:

Aside from that, it's a fair bet that you would've been 'as giddy as a schoolboy' over "Jurassic Park III" previews before the film destroyed your world (if you have any memory of those previews). Teasers/Trailers are no indication of how good a movie will be.
The Indiana Jones Film Series is NOT the Franchise
Since when did the words, "the teaser", include 3 websites and a film trailer that nobody here besides you had seen yet?:confused: If you meant all of that then it would've been less confusing had you said so in the first place.:whip:

Stoo...I think you're entering bully territory, man. You've been going out of your way to belittle and nitpick TheFedora's posts A LOT lately. A lot of it needlessly vindictive in tone.

Just making you aware, dude...

Finn

Staff member
Hmm. Looks like somebody's found a new target for some deeply closeted mancrush.

That's our resident lovebird Stuart for ya.

Stoo

Finn said:
That's our resident lovebird...
To illustrate the lovebird description, here's a little something to those who might feel bullied (& their personal bodyguards).:D

For anyone who doesn't know: S.W.A.K. means "Sealed With A Kiss".

JurassicSwak_zps300df0b8.jpg

kongisking

Grizzlor said:
This movie will ruin Pratt. I mean, pet Raptors? Stop.

Can someone explain why this is such a supposed awful idea? Besides the knee-jerk "I'm used to them being antagonistic animals, and I don't like change!" reaction? Depending on how its done, it would be very interesting, and also is a welcome twist with those things since I personally feel raptors became obnoxiously overexposed in the wake of JP as stock villain dinos. Let's just wait and see.

AndyLGR

Well that 2nd trailer confirms Pratt is some kind of pack leader of the raptors. Its quite a different take on the dynamic of the raptors in the movies, it will be interesting to see how they pull it off.

kongisking

AndyLGR said:
Well that 2nd trailer confirms Pratt is some kind of pack leader of the raptors. Its quite a different take on the dynamic of the raptors in the movies, it will be interesting to see how they pull it off.

Personally, I love the idea. It definitely helps that I feel like the raptors became rather irritatingly overused in pop culture as stock 'villain' dinos after Jurassic Park came out, so it is a cool idea to turn the tables a bit and put them in a semi-heroic role, even though Trevorrow said they still are incredibly unpredictable and deadly animals and Pratt's by no means totally tamed them.

That, and I am not fond of treating animals in general as untrainable killing machines. Where is it written that dinosaurs couldn't potentially have been domesticated too? Nowhere.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

kongisking said:
Personally, I love the idea. It definitely helps that I feel like the raptors became rather irritatingly overused in pop culture as stock 'villain' dinos after Jurassic Park came out, so it is a cool idea to turn the tables a bit and put them in a semi-heroic role, even though Trevorrow said they still are incredibly unpredictable and deadly animals and Pratt's by no means totally tamed them.

That, and I am not fond of treating animals in general as untrainable killing machines. Where is it written that dinosaurs couldn't potentially have been domesticated too? Nowhere.
From what Trevorrow has said the Raptors wont be trained like Dogs more like Dolphins that are trained to search for un exploded Mines from WW-II the theme of the originals is still here, sometimes a really good idea is actually the worst idea In the history of bad ideas. I just read in the New Smithsonian that there are way more Captive Tigers then there are wild ones, something like thousands in captivity, and It usually turns out bad for the People that own Tigers, they usually Maul there owners Fatally. so if It happens to tiger owners in real life then I think when the tables are turned the Raptors will Attack the Humans..... ;)

kongisking

DARTH ZOIDBERG said:
From what Trevorrow has said the Raptors wont be trained like Dogs more like Dolphins that are trained to search for un exploded Mines from WW-II the theme of the originals is still here, sometimes a really good idea is actually the worst idea In the history of bad ideas. I just read in the New Smithsonian that there are way more Captive Tigers then there are wild ones, something like thousands in captivity, and It usually turns out bad for the People that own Tigers, they usually Maul there owners Fatally. so if It happens to tiger owners in real life then I think when the tables are turned the Raptors will Attack the Humans..... ;)

Exactly. So where do people get the idea that 'trained raptors' means 'completely cuddly, harmless raptors'? :confused: Baffling how the Internet works sometimes...

DARTH ZOIDBERG

kongisking said:
Exactly. So where do people get the idea that 'trained raptors' means 'completely cuddly, harmless raptors'? :confused: Baffling how the Internet works sometimes...
Sometimes a little knowledge will light our way, and reading Smithsonian....:D