General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

lao che & sons

Montana Smith said:
"Extreme" was what I was going for! ;)

Spielberg and Tarantino are at opposite ends of the film-maming spectrum. I couldn't imagine Spielberg putting his name to Indiana Jones and the Inglourious Basterds. Lucas would have to be carried away on a stretcher!

But I just can't see Indy being that gridy. Temple of doom was, I think, as far as Indy will go when in comes to being a blood fest. And that wasn't anything hardly possibly close to Tarantino's end of the "spectrum". I just don't think that a total blood fest is what Indy needs at all. With scorcese you can still get those harsher images and a few thrills without going completely over board.

mister64

Do you all think Shia is still on good terms with Spielberg and Lucas after he said how he didn't think KOTCS was their best work?

Do Spielberg and Lucas take criticism like that well? Maybe they'll make Indy 5 to apologize for KOTCS.

AndyLGR

mister64 said:
Do you all think Shia is still on good terms with Spielberg and Lucas after he said how he didn't think KOTCS was their best work?

Do Spielberg and Lucas take criticism like that well? Maybe they'll make Indy 5 to apologize for KOTCS.
I think to make a sequel as an apology would be wrong. But I would like to see a movie with a decent story and macguffin this time around, they were the weak points of KOTCS to me. I'd be disappointed if the series ended with KOTCS.

I see in reports that Bermuda and Atlantis have been touted as possible ideas for Indy 5. Maybe they are too obvious a story to use though.

Udvarnoky

AndyLGR said:
I think to make a sequel as an apology would be wrong.

Probably, but Spielberg has more or less stated that he made Last Crusade as an apology for Temple of Doom. I wonder if ever figured out that Temple of Doom required no apology.

Indy's brother

DocWhiskey said:
I just got back from seeing Indy 5. It was pretty good. I was the only one in the theater though. The ending had great old school effects. I especially loved when Indy teamed up with Han Solo to take down Megatron and Hitler. And *Spoiler Alert* Mutt steps on a land mine in the first 15 seconds. When he comes back at the end as a ghost I did get a bit teary eyed. My favorite scene was when Indy controls the Statue of Liberty to fight Hitler's giant radioactive Joan Rivers. Best fight since EVER.

I thought it was easily the best offering since ROTLA....Hell maybe even better! That's right, I said it. Any movie that shows Marcus rise from the dead as a vengeful zombie with a flamethrower is going into my blu ray player right before it gets welded shut forever.

Udvarnoky said:
Probably, but Spielberg has more or less stated that he made Last Crusade as an apology for Temple of Doom. I wonder if ever figured out that Temple of Doom required no apology.

I was thinking the exact same thing...

Rocket Surgeon said:
Hmmm, this begs the question, how did he come to the realization that he needed to apologize for Temple.

No, the question is, how did he come to the realization that he needed to apologize for Temple, given that he still haven't thought about doing the same for Kingdom, which is undoubtly the worst movie in his entire career... I'm sooo confused...

The Stranger said:
No, the question is, how did he come to the realization that he needed to apologize for Temple, given that he still haven't thought about doing the same for Kingdom, which is undoubtly the worst movie in his entire career... I'm sooo confused...
No, the first question is still:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Hmmm, this begs the question, how did he come to the realization that he needed to apologize for Temple.
THE NEXT QUESTION is how long did it take him to come to that decision.
THEN we figure out how long we have to wait, (or not) for him to apologize for Crystal Skull.

RedeemedChild

weaponx24 said:
man....its bee awhile now since weve heard any tid bits of info regarding Indy V...makes you wonder if its dead...

Yes, I know, that is what is so fustrating about the whole thing. Disney's Prince of Persia: Sands of Time has me really wanting another Indiana Jones movie right now.

Matt deMille

Indiana Jones and the Throne of the Gods

It may not be much, but for those jonesing for a fifth Indy movie, I wrote script for one. It'll never get made, of course, but it can be a fun read and it has, I think, at least a few good ideas. Find it here:

http://www.mattdemille.com/scripts 02.htm

If you don't want to risk the time, here's a breakdown of it:
1) Sidekick: Sallah. It's a road movie about two good friends.
2) Teaser: Egypt, beneath the Sphinx.
3) Relic: Ancient city. Pre-Atlantean.
4) Lore: Mixes theories of Pangea, Atlantis, and the works of Graham Hancock and Edgar Cayce.
5) Theme: Unity and friendship.

I know this basic idea has been done in other fan-scripts, but I've got twenty years of research and study into this material so it's well based on true legends and archeology, thus giving Indy its requisite "feels reel" aspect.

Mungi

From an interview with Harrison Ford by a German newspaper about another movie (two days ago):

"Why not? If it does not take again two decades until the new movie, I'm ready! It all depends on an convincing script. George Lucas is working on the story. I find the end of the fourth part offers fabulous opportunities for a further development of Indiana Jones, for example by the emergence of his son, whom he previously knew nothing. I introduce it full of suspense to explore the relationship between the two. If need be, also gladly in 3D!"

http://www.faz.net/s/Rub510A2EDA82C...F99ABBF2C813F176F6~ATpl~Ecommon~Scontent.html

At least Lucas is working on it...:sleep:

Montana Smith

Mungi said:
From an interview with Harrison Ford by a German newspaper about another movie (two days ago):

"Why not? If it does not take again two decades until the new movie, I'm ready! It all depends on an convincing script. George Lucas is working on the story. I find the end of the fourth part offers fabulous opportunities for a further development of Indiana Jones, for example by the emergence of his son, whom he previously knew nothing. I introduce it full of suspense to explore the relationship between the two. If need be, also gladly in 3D!"

http://www.faz.net/s/Rub510A2EDA82C...F99ABBF2C813F176F6~ATpl~Ecommon~Scontent.html

"It all depends on a convincing script." (y)

"If need be, also gladly in 3D!" (n) :dead:

Indy's brother

Mungi said:

I may be the first one to get excited over news in this thread, but I've seen this kind of quote rehash before on Indy 5. It's basically an amalgamation of several quotes to create the impression that there is something new here.I can't read German, so I can't say for a fact that's what this is, but based on the translation I'm about %99 certain.

Cruise these quotes and tell me what you think......

EDIT: the 3D comment is new to me though

Last edited:

Montana Smith

:gun:
Indy's brother said:
I may be the first one to get excited over news in this thread, but I've seen this kind of quote rehash before on Indy 5. It's basically an amalgamation of several quotes to create the impression that there is something new here.I can't read German, so I can't say for a fact that's what this is, but based on the translation I'm about %99 certain.

Cruise these quotes and tell me what you think......

EDIT: the 3D comment is new to me though

It's Harrison's stock answer, as George has apparently been working on the story since KOTCS was released. And from the quote above, Harrison still isn't convinced it'll end up being a good script! His responses are open-ended answers intended to keep journalists happy, until they go away and realize that he really didn't tell them anything.

3D would be a gimmick too far. If they were looking to repent for failures in KOTCS, I can't see 3D being the answer.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
3D would be a gimmick too far. If they were looking to repent for failures in KOTCS, I can't see 3D being the answer.

It's becoming less and less a gimmick and more and more de rigueur for this kind of movie though, isn't it? I'm not happy about it, but that's seems to be the scent in the wind.

And, of course, the two of you are correct - whether it's an amalgamation of quotes or something new from Harrison stringing together sentiments he's expressed before - there's nothing new here, save for the (perhaps dubious) 3-D line.

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
It's becoming less and less a gimmick and more and more de rigueur for this kind of movie though, isn't it? I'm not happy about it, but that's seems to be the scent in the wind.

To me it's a sad fact. One of those things that film-makers won't be able to leave alone, lest they get branded fuddy-duddies for doing things the good old fashioned way. Around the time Jaws 3D came out my dad explained that he'd seen House of Wax in 3D at the cinema in the 1950s. He wasn't really impressed back then. It's a point where technology dictates the camera shots, rather than a director telling a story dictated by human emotions.

Maybe, if 3D becomes the norm, then film-making will just take it for granted and continue on as before.

If any of the Indy movies were going to be in 3D, then KOTCS was the prime candidate, since George is so infatuated with '50s culture. The fridge was a scene made for 3D!

Attila the Professor said:
And, of course, the two of you are correct - whether it's an amalgamation of quotes or something new from Harrison stringing together sentiments he's expressed before - there's nothing new here, save for the (perhaps dubious) 3-D line.

Unless everyone concerned with Indy V is being very cagey with the facts, then these quotes only serve to tell us that nothing new is happening. If Indy V is for real, it seems the first we'll know about it is when it leaps out at us as a fully formed script with all the actors and creators on board.

Last edited: