Will Indy IV be the end of Indy forever?

RangerOfTheEast

Do you think there can be an Indy movie without Harrison Ford?
I don't think so. Indy is Harrison, and it really would never be the same.
Young Indy is fun, but it's a world away from Raiders. Will Indy IV signal the end of Indy on our screens forever?

Indyologist

An animated series is an interesting idea and one I've thought about before. I remember seeing a few stories of the "Batman" animated series years ago, and I thought they were actually pretty good. The animation was okay, but the stories were not bad-- pretty dramatic, actually. I'd like to see an Indy series with that kind of animation.

Some of the Batman episodes were very well written and that was the key to the success of that series. An Indiana Jones series done with well thought out story and drama could be fantastic. But what would it be called?

Not Indiana Jones - the Animated Adventures...

Magda

Hey, if it brings back the tradition of weekend morning cartoons, I'm all for it (yes, I still watch Looney Tunes on Sunday mornings... :p ... stop staring).

Blofeld

I don't think Indy would work as an animated series because the flavor of the movies relies on stuntwork, thrills,chills and spills and real life gross outs like snakes, bugs and rats. Animated , even CGI, won't cut it because you can do anything with animation....which is why I don't want any CGI in Indy IV because it would be like cheating to create a crypt full of "computer-generated' spiders like the CGI fireants in "Scorpion King" or the creepy crawlies in "The Mummy" of 1999.

I don't think another actor would work like James Bond because James Bond was a character long before Sean Connery stepped into the role on film.....Harrison Ford was the first Indiana and should be the only Indy!!

Magda

They're going to need CGI to keep Indy's face from going downhill if the series continues. I don't really know about you, but seeing a geriatric guy poking a cane at a villain is not quite what I have in mind... although that would be rather amusing...

TheOldBum

An Indy animated series would be great, if done well. Batman the Animated Series basically set the bar for an animated series that isn't campy or obviously written with younger kids in mind. It was written without talking down to its audience, and thus got viewers who were much older than just the ones it was originally aimed for. It was dark and cool, and could be appreciated by adults as well as kids. No loud, zany, off-the-wall characters to attract the eye of kids with low attention spans, just well written stories that actually appeal to kids' intellects. If they ever did Indy in animated format, it had damn well better be good, like B:tAS was, though I think it'd probably just turn into a farse.

While I agree that the stunts and the live action are what contribute to Indy, I have to admit that when I saw the movies the first time, I was a kid. I didn't care about the ways they made the film as much as the story, the story, the story.

The artifacts were real, the movie extended for me long after the movie... I was thinking of recovering the lost ark, or passing the challenges to the holy grail.

I think there are enough artifacts out there that could be found that are based in history. There are myths and legends that are real.

I think if executed well, stories that examine the real world from an occult point of view could still stir the imagination, even in cartoon. But it would still have to be visual.

and action packed...

HovitosKing

Personally, I think any attempt to resurrect this franchise will fail, with the sole exception of the novels. Face it, nobody can replace Harrison Ford as Indy, so any visual attempts are doomed except for Young Indy, which has already been done. The novels allow you to construct your own image of Indy in your mind, however, which works well with preserving the image of Harrison Ford cracking the whip. Does any of this make sense???

TheOldBum

I hear you there Hovitos King, but I also have to add that video games can be great too, because as the technology gets better, the character looks more and more like the original Indy. In a decade or so, I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between live action and pixilated images. Give Indy a good voice, and the rest can be done with ease, as shown in Emperor's Tomb. Just make sure the plots are well constructed and the character remains intact.

Venture

After Indy IV, any movies or spin-offs would be hokey. I'm in agreement here: literature and possibly video games are the extent that I would take Indy. He's immortal only as long as he keeps his dignity.

bob

I think that Indy IV will be the final movie with Ford in and SS directing

However the character is simply too iconic and franchisable for it to be left gathering dust for too long, i think that within 10 - 15 years the role will be recast and the idea of Indy generally reimagined (i think i started a thread on it, Indiana Jones 2020 or something like that)

theinfiniteweird

What would happenb in an animated series would be the same thing that happened in the btman animated series. While the stories were well done, everything started getting very unoriginal and very prefabricated. They will have to start to work to find things for him and eventually you'll start getting those silly things like in Alladan part 3, were they are obviously scraping to find something of interest.

Dr. Jones2987

I think that Indy 4 will probaly end Indiana Jones on the screen forever. As much as i don't want it to, it probaly will. Because take a look at Harrison, he is already old and i think that this is probaly going to be his last time as Indy, unless he wants to continue. But also at first Lucas didn't want to do another Indiana Jones, but Steven Spielberg and Frank Marshall talked him into it! (im not sure about Frank Marshall, but i think it was him.) And after they talked about it Lucas loved the idea and now it is in the process of being made. But yea, i think Indiana 4 will be the last Indiana Jones for everyone. I mean Lucas, Speilberg, and Ford are all getting old, they even said that themselves! haha. So, i mean unless they do do a cartoon about Indiana (which would be freakin awesome), then this might be the last. With out Harrison Ford as Indiana then there isn't know Indiana, we know that and so does Lucas, Speilberg, and Ford. You can't replace a legend! What do you think?!?

IndyBeck

Well, many folks won't like this idea. But I would like to see an Indy franchise as with James Bond. Okay, Ford *is* Indy, as Connery *is* Bond. No one else will ever be.
Some of the non-Connery Bonds were really bad, and that would be also the case with non-Ford/Lucas/Spielberg Indy-films, but nevertheless it is something. In 30 years we will look back and say: "Why didn't they try another Indy-film...?".

And I even fear that Indy 4 will not be as good as the first ones. Look what Lucas has done with Star Wars! He musn't ruin Indy. So I think he should probably give it to an "outsider", who knows everything about Indy, but is not Lucas. That way he would feel bound to the original idea, and not try to do it in a modern fashion. Lucas, however, may feel to be forced to re-invent Indy, as he tried with Star Wars ... and ruined it.

I don't care _who_ makes Indy-movies, as long as they _are_ Indy-movies.

This post may seem schizoid in some way, I admit :))

Andre

dmaster

bob said:
I think that Indy IV will be the final movie with Ford in and SS directing

However the character is simply too iconic and franchisable for it to be left gathering dust for too long, i think that within 10 - 15 years the role will be recast and the idea of Indy generally reimagined (i think i started a thread on it, Indiana Jones 2020 or something like that)

You have to consider that this is not a major studio franchise, like Star Trek for example.

Indy's trademarking belongs to George Lucas and while he will probably be around 2020 I don't think he will just sell out like some studio like that.

For my understanding Lucas after SW and Indy 4 wants to go back to experimental cinema and basically try new things even if it doesn't appeal to the mass market, he might be a bit commercial oriented right now - who wouldn't if one wants to stay independent - but a filmaker is a filmaker at heart and when one gets to a certain age with a certain kind of money you tend to re-evaluate a lot of stuff.

Venture

Three cheers for Ren..Hip Hip HOORAY! Hip Hip HOORAY! Hip Hip HOORAY! I'm in total agreement. For a series such as this to remain iconic, it must maintain it's integrity. As much as I would like to see ten more Indiana Jones adventures, it would be laughable without the chemistry that made it an adventure movie standard in the first place. To put it another way, we all hopefully shudder at the prospect that Tom Selleck could have played Indy. Now imagine a well-intentioned but doomed-to-second-rate "replacement" for Harrison Ford. Or someone who didn't have that "this is what I want to be when I grow up" slant on the character that Lucas has. While Indiana Jones may be the Rolling Stones of the B-movie adventurers, every good thing must end and end gracefully.