Trilogy on Blu-Ray

Dr.Jonesy

Marshall2288 said:
Yea whats with this? Raiders was great....but we don't ALL like it the best.

*cough* givemesomef'nTODrestoration *cough*

Give me all of them restored! Well, KOTCS is already done on Blu-Ray, of course. But if they only restored ROTLA, I don't see why they didn't give us the 'Full Monty' and restore the first three films!

Oh well, ROTLA is my fave so I'm good!
:p
I kid, give me them all!

WeAreGoingToDie

Watching that packaging shot in slow mo, I noticed that they accidentally repeated the second page of the Raiders page on the Temple of Doom spread. So really, we'll be seeing two pages per disc in the book. Left side is a little montage with new art, right side is the poster and still images plus the mcguffin

Raiders:
rqtSp.png

Doom (right side repeats the Raiders image, should have shown a Doom montage):
KEDvO.png

Crusade:
RF0RU.png

Skull:
BLKB3.png

Bonus disc:
7vstQ.png

indyclone25

as this flyer from the sd comic con promotes the blu ray , it looks as if the discs slide into a cardboard sleeve, that is gonna suck , just like the star wars blu rays ,,,,,,
snakes-cc2.jpg

Daley

Marshall2288 said:
Yea whats with this? Raiders was great....but we don't ALL like it the best.

*cough* givemesomef'nTODrestoration *cough*

I concur!!
Raiders is a classic film, no doubts about that...but TOD and Last Crusade are just as iconic - they deserve the same treatment!

Well, lets wait and see what the films actually look like, I'm sure they will look superb in digitally remastered High Definition anyway :)

AndyLGR

indyclone25 said:
as this flyer from the sd comic con promotes the blu ray , it looks as if the discs slide into a cardboard sleeve, that is gonna suck , just like the star wars blu rays ,,,,,,
At least the star wars blu rays were in plastic trays where they couldnt get damaged.

indyclone25

AndyLGR said:
At least the star wars blu rays were in plastic trays where they couldnt get damaged.
in the uk you got plastic trays , in america we got slide in to cardboard sleeves on the star wars box set on blu ray , that is why i bought about 20 empty blu-ray cases to make my own for the blurays release in sept.

indyclone25

this reported on thedigitalbits.com...............FYI, we've also just learned from our industry sources that there will be NO U.S. retail exclusive versions of Paramount and Lucasfilm's Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures Blu-ray box set, due on 9/18. Target will be offering an exclusive lithograph with the purchase of the set but that's it - no special packaging, bonus discs, etc. However, we do hear that there may be limited edition "Ark of the Covenant" packaging from some international retailers. Just FYI (n)

WeAreGoingToDie

A pic from the snake pit at Comic Con:

PKhmH.jpg

The covers are glossy metallic and the logo (and Indy?) are embossed. Also, the Blu-Ray logo across the top seems to come off with whatever cardboard backing they stick on it. The Star Wars Saga set did the same thing. So the case will look great! Nice and shiny with no disc logos messing things up.

Matt

Contents Of Indiana Jones Quadrilogy Bonus Disc Revealed

00:50:47:00 (THE MAKING OF RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK) - (from the 2003 bonus disc)
00:41:05:00 (THE MAKING OF INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM) - (from the 2003 bonus disc)
00:34:59:00 (THE MAKING OF INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE) - (from the 2003 bonus disc)
00:10:53:00 THE STUNTS OF INDIANA JONES - (from the 2003 bonus disc)
00:13:17:00 THE SOUND OF INDIANA JONES - (from the 2003 bonus disc)
00:12:19:00 THE MUSIC OF INDIANA JONES - (from the 2003 bonus disc)
00:12:17:00 THE LIGHT AND MAGIC OF INDIANA JONES - (from the 2003 bonus disc)
00:12:42:00 ADVENTURES IN POST-PRODUCTION - (from the 2008 Crystal Skull SE)
00:22:40:00 THE EFFECTS OF INDY - (from the 2008 Crystal Skull SE)
00:09:57:00 ICONIC PROPS - (from the 2008 Crystal Skull SE)
00:09:22:00 INDY?S WOMEN: THE AMERICAN FILM INSTITUTE TRIBUTE - (from the 2008 Last Crusade reissue)
00:08:12:00 RAIDERS: THE MELTING FACE! - (from the 2008 Raiders reissue)
00:10:09:00 INDY?S FRIENDS AND ENEMIES - (from the 2008 Last Crusade reissue)
00:58:08:00 THE MAKING OF RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

Looks like everything from the 2003 bonus disc is making it over to the Blu-ray, with the exception of the trailers, which may be on the individual movie discs.

Matt

And here's a list of all the stuff that didn't make it over to the bonus disc. This is not to say that it won't be on the movie discs, but it's not on the bonus disc, apparently.

The Adventures of Indiana Jones (2003) - Bonus Material disc

Raiders - Teaser, trailer, re-issue trailer
Temple of Doom - Trailer
Last Crusade - Teaser, Trailer

Indiana Jones: The Adventure Collection (2008) - DVDTalk - Randy Miller III's review

Bonus Material

Here's where things get a little tricky: we do get a decent collection of new extras here, but the excellent bonus disc from the 2003 box (which contained more than three hours of featurettes and promo material) is nowhere to be found. For the optimists: those who own both sets will have plenty to dig through...and none of it overlaps, conveniently enough. For the pessimists: the new material is hardly worth double-dipping for, especially with the combined lack of a technical upgrade.

Raiders of the Lost Ark leads off with an Introduction with Steven Spielberg and George Lucas (7:48), mixing a bit of behind-the-scenes footage and production photos with recent talking head-style interviews. We're also treated to "Indiana Jones: An Appreciation" (11:40), featuring interviews with cast members of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull as they look back on the trilogy with admiration and respect. This one can't help but feel promotional for obvious reasons, but it's worth a look nonetheless. <s>Up next is "The Melting Face" (8:49) a brief technical featurette about the infamous death sequence in Raiders. This is one of the more enjoyable extras in the bunch, revealing a few practical secrets without giving too much away.</s> Winding things down is a Storyboard Sequence for Raiders' "Well of Souls" scene (4:13), a handful of Photo Galleries (featuring illustrations, props, marketing and more) and a Game Trailer for "Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures". A Trailer for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull also plays prior to the main menu.

Temple of Doom begins with another Introduction with Steven Spielberg and George Lucas (5:48), featuring more behind-the-scenes footage and retrospective thoughts. "The Creepy Crawlies" (7:59) is up next, highlighting some of the hair-raising animals featured in each of the three films. "Travel With Indy: Locations" (9:02) is a like-minded featurette, bouncing around from film to film while discussing some of the landmark locales (NOTE: "Creepy Crawlies" and "Travel With Indy" both include optional pop-up trivia tracks). This second disc winds down with another Storyboard Sequence (this time, for Temple of Doom's "Mine Cart Chase" scene [2:30]), more Photo Galleries and the Trailers for the Lego game and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The Last Crusade begins with another Introduction with Steven Spielberg and George Lucas (6:13), <s>and follows up with "Indy's Women: The American Film Institute Tribute" (9:22), a roundtable discussion with leading ladies Karen Allen, Kate Capshaw and Alison Doody. "Indy's Friends and Enemies" (10:46) continues the character focus, highlighting some of the memorable supporting characters from all three adventures.</s> This third and final disc wraps up with another Storyboard Sequence (this time, for Last Crusades's Opening sequence [3:40]), more Photo Galleries and both Trailers already mentioned above. This is undoubtedly the lightest of the three discs, if only due to the lack of attention paid to the singular film at hand.

All bonus features are presented in anamorphic widescreen, while older snippets of promo material and behind-the-scenes footage are smartly window-boxed. Thankfully, optional English, Spanish and French subtitles are also included here, rounding out the overall presentation nicely. Overall, these new extras don't hold a candle to those found on the excellent 2003 bonus disc, but they're fairly entertaining and informative in their own right.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 2-Disc Special Edition - DVD Talk - Brian Orndorf's review

"The Return of a Legend" (17:37) traces Indiana Jones's journey back to the big screen, interviewing Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford on the development process than began in 1994. It was a long, winding road for the trio, with plenty of scripting setbacks during the 1990s, and a general reluctance from Spielberg to reopen the series after his poetic final shot in "Last Crusade." It's a bit of a whitewashed recollection (the recent Frank Darabont contribution is not mentioned), but the enthusiasm is palpable.

"Pre-Production" (11:47) observes the preparation for "Kingdom," taking a look at Spielberg and his pre-visualization demands, watching Ford ease back into character, and chatting with Bernie Pollack, Ford's personal costume man, who had the unenviable task of finding an armada of new fedoras and jackets that could withstand a beating during the shoot. The casting of Shia LeBeouf and the reintroduction of Karen Allen as Marion is also discussed.

Now, a little malarkey is thrown around in this featurette when cinematographer Janusz Kaminski arrives to discuss how Spielberg made sure "Kingdom" visually matched the previous films. I'll buy that for framing arguments, but for sharpness and adventuresome coloring? No way.

"Production Diary: Making 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'" (80:11) is a sprawling, comprehensive recount of filming, emerging from obvious promotional purposes (the actors are interviewed on the set), yet still captures the spirit of production and the monumental steps it took to bring Indiana Jones back to theaters (and now DVD).

Locations, sets, stunts, performances, silliness, direction, bugs, weather, special effects, snakes, hairdos, backlots, molds, costumes, ant juice, and marital hugs and kisses. It's all covered here, and with tremendous BTS footage to back up the effusive comments. A real treat for "Kingdom" fans.

"Warrior Makeup" (5:37) reveals the effort it took to turn average stuntmen into unholy temple guardians, interviewing department head Felicity Bowring and hair department honcho Kelvin R. Trahan about their accomplishments.

"The Crystal Skulls" (10:13) explores the myth of the titular object of power, with cast and crew lending their thoughts on the authenticity of the skulls. The conversation soon moves to the meticulous creation of the props, which needed to convey special weight and spooky, otherworldly architecture.

<s>"Iconic Props" (10:04) meets with prop master Doug Harlocker and tours the warehouse where all the "Kingdom" goodies and inside jokes are kept during filming.

"The Effects of Indy" (22:44) begins with ILM digital artist Paul Huston discussing his history with the franchise, and its move from practical effects to the digital realm. The featurette observes the CG details of the frame, and how the "Kingdom" team often married live-action filming with digital enhancements. Miniature photography on the Doom Town sequence, Jungle Chase choreography, and adventures with the "big damn ants" are also covered in full.

"Adventures in Post-Production" (12:47) flips the coin to consider the extensive finishing moves on the "Kingdom" experience, interviewing editor Michael Kahn and sound designer Ben Burtt (and his son Benny Burtt) as they assemble the picture for release. The creation of the traditional Burtt sounds is mesmerizing to watch. Finally, John Williams shows up to elucidate his creative decisions during the scoring of the film. Hopefully this section of the supplements will finally silence the unfair criticism leveled at Williams and his superb musical work. </s>

"Closing: Team Indy" (3:45) is essentially a high school yearbook of the key names and faces who worked on the film.

"Pre-Visualization Sequences" (14:10) shows the viewer "Area 51 Escape," "Jungle Chase," and "Ants Attack" in their earliest stages of development.

The "Galleries" section includes "The Art Department," "Stan Winston Studio," "Production Photographs," "Portraits," and "Behind-the-Scenes Photographs."

The Theatrical Teaser and final Trailer for "Kingdom" are included on this DVD, along with a look at the "Indiana Jones: Ultimate Action Hero" DVD commercial.

Finally, an XBOX 360 demo for the outrageously entertaining "Lego Indiana Jones" video game is included.

WeAreGoingToDie

Attila the Professor said:
New Blu-Ray trailer from Comic-Con. I counted 3 Crystal Skull clips.

Well to be fair to Skull, it has had its moment on blu-ray. Not really exciting that it's just being rereleased on the format. The first three are the real stars of the set since they're finalyl on blu-ray. So in that sense, I think it deserves to be downplayed in the trailers even though I do like KOTCS (more than TOD).

Montana Smith

They should have treated Indy in the same way they treated the Star Wars Blu-rays: separate OT and a PT sets for those who don't want all six.

With Indy they're selling KOTCS all over again to those who never really wanted it in the first place.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect the 1984 Making of Temple of Doom will continue to be withheld, perhaps due to awkward interactions between Spielberg and Capshaw. The Stunts, Sidekicks or Quests documentaries would not be missed nearly as much. May have to ask the director.

Other fans are trying to piece together the complete bonus materials. Looks like 5 of the 7 hours are accounted for so far. If things are missing, one can always acquire everything here and here.

Forbidden Eye

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Well to be fair to Skull, it has had its moment on blu-ray. Not really exciting that it's just being rereleased on the format. The first three are the real stars of the set since they're finally on blu-ray.

Exactly, but it seems some are already throwing out tired "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull suxs!!" punchlines. :rolleyes:

That said, I do wish the set was $10-$20 cheaper as I already own Kingdom on Blu-Ray, and just need the original trilogy.