Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Finn

Staff member
Why so disappoint? When they promised to bring back the "Star Wars of old", they didn't specify whether they meant 1983 or 2005, you know.

Decade is quite a while in the modern media landscape, after all.

Montana Smith

You know, I'm at least relieved that the line wasn't, "Honey, we're home."

The signs have always been there...

hug.png

star-wars.jpg

Chewbacca-Han-Solo-Hugging-300x219.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g8gjOBI0kLs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Finn

Staff member
That's definitely a blast from the eighties. At least I personally haven't come across a carpet that thick in the last 15 years or so.

AndyLGR

Lambonius said:
This looks significantly better than the prequels though. They seem to have really nailed the tone. Anyone who actually expected physical models for the dogfighting and space scenes was kidding themselves. The movie seems to have CGI where it makes sense only; they seem to be going out of their way to avoid it everywhere else though, which is perfect. I don't want a movie that looks like it was made in the 80s, but rather one that has absorbed all of the lessons of film-making since then, and can pick and choose what style works best for any given scenario.
Great post. I thought the footage we saw in the trailer had a good blend between the cgi and the practical props, actors and sets. The prequel trilogy fell over by having too much cgi set and how that blended with any practical stuff. I didn't think it looked anywhere near as bad in this trailer. But from 1 minute of footage if this is an indication of how the film will go then I'll be happy.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Finn said:
Why so disappoint? When they promised to bring back the "Star Wars of old", they didn't specify whether they meant 1983 or 2005, you know.

Decade is quite a while in the modern media landscape, after all.

You're more right than you know:

reactions-to-the-new-star-wars-trailer-are-priceless-9.jpg

Montana Smith

AndyLGR said:
I thought the footage we saw in the trailer had a good blend between the cgi and the practical props, actors and sets. The prequel trilogy fell over by having too much cgi set and how that blended with any practical stuff. I didn't think it looked anywhere near as bad in this trailer. But from 1 minute of footage if this is an indication of how the film will go then I'll be happy.

It looks to be a huge improvement over the PT. Though a lot of that has to do with the knowledge that central cast members from the OT have returned.

Goonie

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PYHdQUyOunA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AndyLGR said:
Great post. I thought the footage we saw in the trailer had a good blend between the cgi and the practical props, actors and sets.

Personally I would go as far as saying perfect blend.
To me this teaser is just incredible. Thousand times better than the first one.
That music crescendo is so wonderful it almost brought a tear to my eyes...
I bet this is EXACTLY what Lucas wanted Star Wars to look like, back in 1976.

Best trailer I've seen, so far.
Never been more hyped about something before.

I'm sick of that @##@@ ball droid already. He's become the big distraction for lack of practical effects. 1:08 in the new trailer...I really doubt that is the "practical prop" rolling behind them.

Also: mark 1:25...camera movement cliche I absolutely hate with SFX shots. The 'oh, this is a real camera tracking movement catch up/zoom" crap.

kongisking said:
My reaction when Han ol' boy showed up:

I assume "home" is the Falcon? One of the biggest things I hated about Ghostbusters 2 was the idea that they hadnt been out busting ghosts in the 5 years since we last saw them. Is it possible that our favorite smuggling team hasnt been out adventuring in 30+ years?

featofstrength said:
I assume "home" is the Falcon? One of the biggest things I hated about Ghostbusters 2 was the idea that they hadnt been out busting ghosts in the 5 years since we last saw them. Is it possible that our favorite smuggling team hasnt been out adventuring in 30+ years?

Given that Han and Chewie had been smugglers for ages at Mos Eisley, "home" is most certainly because they will finally be back on Tatooine...

kongisking

featofstrength said:

I'm pretty certain they meant the Falcon, yup. They are standing inside it, if you look at the background of that shot. I imagine this is their first time stepping into the ship in years. My theory is that ever since ROTJ, Han and Chewie became proper military commanders of the Rebellion, and this film has them team up with the younger heroes on a secret mission that puts them back into the position of star-hopping criminals.

Lambonius

kongisking said:
I'm pretty certain they meant the Falcon, yup. They are standing inside it, if you look at the background of that shot. I imagine this is their first time stepping into the ship in years. My theory is that ever since ROTJ, Han and Chewie became proper military commanders of the Rebellion, and this film has them team up with the younger heroes on a secret mission that puts them back into the position of star-hopping criminals.

This. He's "General" Solo in ROTJ; the implication is that he had "gone straight" and become a commanding part of the rebellion (and the subsequent New Republic.) I doubt that he hasn't been in the Falcon since ROTJ, but certainly it stands to reason that the ship could have been traded or sold off sometime in the 30 years since.

One thing's for sure; the opening text crawl is going to have a LOT of ground to cover. ;)

JasonMa

Lambonius said:
This. He's "General" Solo in ROTJ; the implication is that he had "gone straight" and become a commanding part of the rebellion (and the subsequent New Republic.) I doubt that he hasn't been in the Falcon since ROTJ, but certainly it stands to reason that the ship could have been traded or sold off sometime in the 30 years since.

One thing's for sure; the opening text crawl is going to have a LOT of ground to cover. ;)
Disney/Marvel will be releasing a new comic series starting in Sept. that's going to set up the new movie, if anyone is interested.

I've got the first two issues of the new SW book (featuring the main cast between episodes IV and V). Its pretty good.

Montana Smith

Lambonius said:
I doubt that he hasn't been in the Falcon since ROTJ, but certainly it stands to reason that the ship could have been traded or sold off sometime in the 30 years since.

I doubt he would ever willingly part with the Falcon.

More likely he put it in mothballs because it was old and temperamental. Like himself.

kek8v.jpg

This would fit the theme of rebirth. The re-emergence of bygone things such as the Force; classic characters; the Falcon; and hopefully classic Star Wars itself, which has been neglected on screen during the PT/Clone years.

Hopefully Abrams is finally bringing it home after the strange journey Lucas sent it on.

Last edited: