Willow

metalinvader

Anyone else a fan of this movie? I truely adore this movie.It has a fairytale like quality that alot of films lack.Truely one of the greatest fantasy films of all time.
Someone on line claimed that Lucas poured his heart and soul into this movie and I have to agree.

deckard24

Yeah, Willow was great! A bit of a Tolkien ripoff in retrospect, but still it was one of my favorites when I was a kid.

"You never ever feed a baby blackroot!"

Michael24

I saw WILLOW in the theater when it came out, and I remember enjoying it. I think we had it on tape as well, or I might have just seen it often on cable afterwards. (Had the NES video game, too.) About two years ago, I watched it for the first time in at least ten years, and I'd forgotten how good it is. Very nicely done fantasty epic. Special effects still hold up well, too.

I remember reading that it was hoped to become a series, but when it didn't do well enough, Lucas oversaw the writing of two follow-up novels based on ideas for the sequels.

metalinvader

Michael24 said:
I remember reading that it was hoped to become a series, but when it didn't do well enough, Lucas oversaw the writing of two follow-up novels based on ideas for the sequels.

Yeah,There was a trilogy of novels.Chris Claremont wrote them.I've tried to read through them but they were terrible.

Katarn07

Let's see, I saw it once on the Sci Fi channel 6 years ago and rented it before quitting Hollywood Video I think 2 years ago. It wasn't too good the second time through. I think it's great for kids, but not so much for adults watching it for the first time. And I disagree on the SFX. They did NOT hold up. Stop motion in ESB with the Imperial Walkers is still a thing of beauty. That troll or dragon thing that is near the end of this film was probably great for its time, but now? Ugh.

I much prefer Labyrinth, another Lucas production from the '80s. Now THAT is an awesome movie (y)

NoCamels

I like Willow. It does have a little bit of the feel of a "Lord of the Rings" copy, but it's still good. For the books, I've only read the middle one, which was not so great, but my brother says that the third book is much better.

berelain19

I was in my early teens when I saw Willow,and I was madly in love with Madmartigan!!:eek:

I think those Brownies are great! And Razell as the ''muskrat''!
Beautiful music! You can hear ''hints'' of Willow-soundtrack in Troy,btw,James must've forgotten about Willow,eh?

|ZiR|

Yeah, Willow's cool. Apparently George Lucas wanted to do a big screen adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, but he couldn't get the rights to it. So he just ripped it off instead.

My favorite character was always Madmartigan. He's pretty badass.

By and by, did anyone ever notice how the scene in the mountains, where Willow, Elora and Madmartigan are escaping Sorcha's camp via makeshift shield sled, is strikingly similar to Indy, Short Round and Willie's frightening, life raft trip down the mountain side in Temple of Doom?

Way to rip off your past work, Lucas. :rolleyes: