Henry Sr.: Where is he? Where would he have been?

Rob67

ResidentAlien said:
He's dead.

A little searching would do you good.

I did, and you just saved me from wasting another 5 minutes of my life. I depend on you Indy nerds for info like that!

Thanks! :p

tnswman

Rob67 said:
I did, and you just saved me from wasting another 5 minutes of my life. I depend on you Indy nerds for info like that!

Thanks! :p

Had you searched on your own, You would have known that Henry Sr. IS referenced in the film.

John Williams

Rob67 said:
Wonder how they explain his absence? Especially with the supposed ending scene?

Henry Sr. is referenced a couple times, most notably in a sentimental moment where Indy is at his desk and looks at two photos, one of his father, the other of Marcus.
Both have died a couple years before the movie's present time.

Rob67

John Williams said:
Henry Sr. is referenced a couple times, most notably in a sentimental moment where Indy is at his desk and looks at two photos, one of his father, the other of Marcus.
Both have died a couple years before the movie's present time.

Thanks for the "non attitude" straight answer. (y)

Goonie

MattJones said:
Henry Jones, Sr. has been off garfunkling Trebek's mother.

I'll take In Diana Jones for $300 Trebek!:whip:

SNL.jpg

Avilos

Shortie said:
Why'd they have to kill him? Maybe Connery would of returned for 5. :mad:

Connery says he is retired. They wrote a part for him and he turned it down. One of themes of the movie is age and losses due to passage of time. Henry Senior would have been very old in 1957. It made perfect sense to say he had recently died.

God d*** it, they killed him off! The blame for this falls mostly on Sean Connery and a little to George Lucas and/or whoever made the script change. Then again Lucas and company might have had their hands tied after Connery turned down the cameo, especially with rumors about the wedding scene at the end of the movie how could they explain the father's absence at his own son's wedding?

I mean they could have said he was in such a frail state that he couldn't attend the wedding, that he was in a nursing home or something but in some ways thats worse than just saying he died. Connery should have at least made a cameo at the wedding scene or maybe they could have had Indy during the wedding scene say something like "give this to dad over there" implying he was there without actually showing him.

I think even a cameo would have been awesome in this movie, I hope someday we could get a copy of an earlier script that still had Connery's scenes in it. A very elderly Henry Sr. (like old Indy in Young Indy Chronicles) reminiscing with his son in his house about Marcus and giving him advice for the adventure and then a small part at the end with the wedding with his new daughter in law (Marion) and his newly discovered grandson (Mutt). I imagine that is what they were going to have him do. Thats about all they could have done, no one would believe an 85 year old plus man actually taking an active part in the adventure. Part of the theme in the movie is growing older; the actor who played Marcus is dead so it makes sense to mention his passing but with Connery still alive and Indiana in the young Indy chronicles shown to have lived to his 90's it would have made sense to show he got his longevity genes from his father.

rowerguy7

mutt runs into henry sr.'s house with indy.

Mutt:
Grandpa! Grandpa!

Henry Sr.:
No! Count to ten!

Mutt:

Henry Sr.:
In greek.

WeAreGoingToDie

chicago103 said:
God d*** it, they killed him off!

Keep in mind that Henry Sr. would be in his late 80's during KOTS and the life expectancy of a male living in the 1950's was 65.6. He was lucky to live until 1951, to the age of roughly 79/80!

Indy had a good 15 years to reconnect with his father, quite a gift if you ask me.

Also, his father's death lends itself to the characterization Ford brings to the older Indy. He has essentially become his father! ;)

Lord_glavin

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Keep in mind that Henry Sr. would be in his late 80's during KOTS and the life expectancy of a male living in the 1950's was 65.6. He was lucky to live until 1951, to the age of roughly 79/80!

Indy had a good 15 years to reconnect with his father, quite a gift if you ask me.

Also, his father's death lends itself to the characterization Ford brings to the older Indy. He has essentially become his father! ;)

I dunno, he did drink from the holy grail, which could've extended his life...lol

anyways I had a really big smile when Indy called Mutt Junior, but then i was sad as I missed Henry Senior :(