Japan's Underwater Ruins

Mike Dowswell

Ever since I saw this on the TV a while back I was totally fascinated by it, its so large scale and almost alien in its shape. It even partly inspired me to direct my 4th animation. I think that I’ve just always been in love with things underwater full stop though.

I just wish there were high resolution photos of the place online, they would be gourgous to have a look at.

The structure was discovered by Kihachirou Aratake in 1987.

The main structure, Yonaguni.
yonag.jpg

yonaguni1-12.jpg

396421288_508b7f831e_o.jpg

p1010064.jpg

yonaguni1-13.jpg

Stone circle of Kerama, Japan.
Japan1-3.jpg

japan1-4.jpg

Last edited:
Has this really been shown to be man made? Because there are natural formations that can look like that. Basalt is one and that comes from volcanoes which is abundant in the area.

Lord_glavin

wow, definatley something I would love to see one day
Underwater ruins just have that aura of mystery around it that trumphs way over those on land

definatley gonna look up some info on this

Edward The Head said:
Has this really been shown to be man made? Because there are natural formations that can look like that. Basalt is one and that comes from volcanoes which is abundant in the area.

Nonsense! It was definitely aliens. :rolleyes:

No Ticket

That looks REALLY cool... I wonder if anyone (i.e. general public) can go diving around the ruins or not? ... I'd like to go check it out. haha.

barranca

Edward The Head said:

Nice point, Very true, I watched a documentary on this some time ago and whilst it has what look to be steps and other man made features they clearly arent or couldntbe due to the sheer scale. I think they seggested that perhaps it was some sort af basalt formation but perhaps one that man had 'tinkered' with.
Lets face it 'we' humans have a habit of mistaking formations of this kind as enginered in some sense:-

giants-causeway-bw-big.jpg

Giants causeway, Ireland

Perhilion said:
I don't know, saying that underwater temple in Japan is a natural formation is quite a stretch.

A. It's almost certainly not a "temple."
B. It's not a stretch at all. As has already been explained, similar rock formation DO occur naturally.

....of course, there's always the chance that it was some ancient astronaut beacon constructed by people from Zardoz. :p

ResidentAlien said:
....of course, there's always the chance that it was some ancient astronaut beacon constructed by people from Zardoz. :p

I like your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. There's also Devil's Tower that's a huge old volcano. There are plenty of places where straight lines in rocks can happen because of the way they are formed. Nothing man made about it.

Perhilion

ResidentAlien said:
A. It's almost certainly not a "temple."
B. It's not a stretch at all. As has already been explained, similar rock formation DO occur naturally.

"temple" being the general term. city. whatever, I'm pretty sure archaeologists are sure that it's man made.

Mike Dowswell

Well, the big one for me was when my eyes were treated to this image here below...

lemuriajapanB.jpg

This I believe was taken at Yonaguni...definitely without a doubt proof that its man made...but I mean heck, when you look at the entire structure...its just so very fortress shaped?...I can imagine wooden stairs on the side bits.

barranca

A structure like that when 'above' water wouldn't go un-noticed by man and god knows we have this urge to fiddle with things as a species. Ancients looking at this would have assumed some intelligent hand in its 'construction' as we do now and would have been likely to add to it or embelish in some sense.

Gary2880

Awesome, Atlanits!!

Looks rather human to me.

But speaking of things in mother nature that are real but look man made, my favorite is pyrite cubes. Just look so freakin awesome.

PYRITE.CUBE.jpg

pyrite.jpg

634px-Cubicpyrite.jpg