Cowboys & Aliens

Montana Smith

YouNeverKnow said:
I also just finished reading it. That is one fast-paced comic book. But, there is plenty of room for the movie to play with, more than a fair hunk of dialogue to add and rewrite. I think that using that comic as a groundwork could lead to some very cool stuff, especially in the hands of Favreau. I admire his Iron Man work greatly.

Weird Western tales look like they're in vogue, with a Jonah Hex movie coming out sometime. I'm sure there's plenty of mileage in these themes.

Indy's brother

I think Jon Favreau wants what we all want from Harry in this movie

"I'm trying to make him what we love him to be," Favreau said of Ford's character. "Think about him whether it was 'American Graffiti,' Han Solo, 'Indiana Jones,' or 'Blade Runner.' He's sort of that edgy, likeable but not likeable guy. I don't like the cuddly Harrison Ford. I don't like the sensitive, thoughtful Harrison Ford."

So which Harrison Ford does Favreau like?

"I like the Harrison Ford where you don't know if he's going to kick your ass or if he's going to buy a drink and he's clearly getting tired of hearing you talk," the director laughed. "That's the Harrison Ford I like. The one who's heard enough from you. That's the Harrison Ford I like."

Indy's brother

The synopsis of the film has been released, including Ford's role.
1873. Arizona Territory. A stranger (Craig) with no memory of his past stumbles into the hard desert town of Absolution. The only hint to his history is a mysterious shackle that encircles one wrist.

What he discovers is that the people of Absolution don't welcome strangers, and nobody makes a move on its streets unless ordered to do so by the iron-fisted Colonel Dolarhyde (Ford). It's a town that lives in fear.

But Absolution is about to experience fear it can scarcely comprehend as the desolate city is attacked by marauders from the sky. Screaming down with breathtaking velocity and blinding lights to abduct the helpless one by one, these monsters challenge everything the residents have ever known.

Now, the stranger they rejected is their only hope for salvation. As this gunslinger slowly starts to remember who he is and where he's been, he realises he holds a secret that could give the town a fighting chance against the alien force.

With the help of the elusive traveller Ella (Olivia Wilde), he pulls together a posse comprised of former opponents - townsfolk, Dolarhyde and his boys, outlaws and Apache warriors - all in danger of annihilation. United against a common enemy, they will prepare for an epic showdown for survival.

Indy's brother

This pic was just released, and one can only assume that it's Daniel Craig by the shackle on his right wrist.

00032597.jpg

RedeemedChild

tocksic said:
Oh havent't seen this thread before. I hope it's no problem, that I repost the fan poster that I've done yesterday:

cowboysandaliensmoviepo.jpg

Spectacular poster. It looks very, very good. This will indeed be one the greatest movies since Independance Day.

Indy's brother

The pic I posted a few posts back is indeed Daniel Craig. This straight from Jon Favreau himself, who also offered up some more insight on Harrison's role in the film

He's like our John Wayne. He's our generation's John Wayne. How do you separate him from the roles that he's played? He's defined the whole genre so you have to take that into consideration.

Billy Ray

Montana Smith said:
I went through and saved every page to make it more user friendly to read. It's 105 pages plus the cover totalling 33.3 MB.

If this is the story that the film will follow, I can't tell which character Harrison is going to play.

The concept is fine, as aliens can land at any point in earth's history (as with the Daeniken aliens of KOTCS), but I'm not sure that the story is good enough. Of course, I was looking at the pcitures as I was saving, and not reading every word.

How do you read the whole thing? I jsut went there and it was just the first 5 pages of prologue.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I'm 30 pages into the script by Kurtzman and Orci (Star Trek), and it's awesome. Absolutely no similarity to the comic so far except
the church bell landing on an alien. Ford is Dolarhyde, the mean old Southern Colonel turned Arizona rancher and has a sterling silver handled whip! He almost used it once, but not yet.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Forget the silly comic, the script is entirely different. Ford is back in the saddle after avoiding non-Indy scifi for decades. Could be better than Air Force One and Fugitive. It will invite favorable comparisons to True Grit, but also intensify Indy 5 speculation. The smile Ford gives Kurtzman and Orci at 7:40 looks like an endorsement should the time come for Lucas hire the best writers, as he usually does.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Ha! Probably a lot like Indiana Jones! You know who that is!?:confused:

Indiana Jones? Wasn't he the bald guy in The King and I? (Or was that the Siamese Flying Wing mechanic in ROTLA?).

Don't like musicals much, so I probably wouldn't enjoy Cowboys and Aliens.

:p

On topic, and on reflection, I found the comic book a bit dull, so this movie isn't on my 'need to watch list' yet.