help! - infernal machine runs weird on XP i think...

nOOb

either its because ive scratched the disk about a million times, or it doesnt work on XP all that well, cause if i turn while firing the rifle, or try to fire the ppsh41 or shotgun, it crashes.

went and bought a new copy but it still doesnt work right. maybe i have to reinstall with the new game disc?

Finn

Staff member
This one's been in other threads recently...

Find the game's .exe-file in the IM folder, right-click and run the game in Win98-emulation mode.

[Edited by Finn on 01-14-2004 at 10:16 am]

Clintwood

I don't think the WIn98-emulation mode will help...

I've played this game on XP, but with a lot of time spent solving XP-problems. :mad:

- First of all, you need to update your XP with all the latest patches and hotfixes.
- Then you need to run in Win98 (or Win2k) mode as "nOOb" suggest.
If you've done this the game should work acceptably. However, the problem with krashes when using the weapons and fire them to frequently is not solved. What I can recall, it was specially ehn I used the machinegun that the game krashed. The only sulotion I've found for this is to try to avoid moving at the same time as you use the weapon...plus that you save frequently during these episodes. If you're lucky, thera aren't that many episodes that this problem occur, you simply have to accept restarting tha game acouple of times during these episodes.

I don't now in which part of the game you are right now, but I'll guess you will find more strange XP-problems (I did). I've solved them though (or managed to fix workarounds :D ) and played the game to the end. :cool:

If you have any more problems, please contact me on the board or at ajohemma@sverige.nu.

Good luck!

nOOb

didnt work for me... :(

another possible XP bug: ive played a demo of tomb raider 2 and the full version of TR3 (*GASP* yes, i do own a couple TR games...the shame) they both work. however, the last revelation demos do not. why is that? ive heard TLR is better then most of the TR games so i wanted to at least try it. figures that it won't work at all...:mad:

Finn

Staff member
nOOb said:
(*GASP* yes, i do own a couple TR games...the shame)

Coming out of the closet, are you? :p To be serious, no big deal. You're not the only one. Actually it's prettyeasy to like TR if you like IM.

Well, one ultimate solution to the task on hand is that if you have a hard disk big enough, you divide a new section from it (you know, C: D: E:, whatever letter you wanna assign to it), give it enough room that old Win98 fits in and use it to play the games too outdated to run in oh-so-modern XP.

I've myself did exactly like this. Use the XP as a primary OS, but I also have divided two other sections from my hard disk and have Win98 and Linux on them.

And don't try to install Win98 on same section as XP. They'll be like Dr. Jones and a Nazi officer running into each other in a small room... ;)

nOOb

oops XP may not be the problem here...what happens is that whenever i run the autoinstaller it says it encounters a problem and needs to close. i thought it might be an XP bug because no matter where i download the demo it says the same thing. i also tried the "times" demo - that one installed but it froze in the opening cutscene. like i said, TR2 and 3 run perfectly. if last revelation is more recent whats wrong with it?

Finn

Staff member
In that case, try messing around with the graphics/sound settings of the game itself.

nOOb

i did - nothing works. but that was only one of the demos, maybe the other will work if i download one without a buggy installer. problem is, its the same case with every site ive downloaded it from. maybe i should just try the windows 98 thing. how do i do that? download it from some site or do i need it on disk?

Finn

Staff member
That requires a FAT32-hard disk dividing program (one can be found by sneaking 'round the web) and the original install CD for Win98 (if you or someone in your friend pool has owned a machine with Win98 in it, there should be a disc to acquire) and install the OS in this new, empty section of your hard disk.

This may sound like computer jargon, but think your hard disk as a pizza, the dividing program as a cutter that slices it up and the divided section as a slice filled with something else as the rest of the pizza. ;)