References to the Comics

No_Ticket

I'm new here so forgive me if this sounds silly but I was wondering if the movies at all made reference to any of the comics or novels?

And if not do you think they should in Indy 4?

Finn

Staff member
Most of the comics or novels were made <i>after</i> the trilogy and very often were set on the timeline when those events seen in the movies had already occured, so no.

And there is even a better reason to say no. You can't expect everyone who watches the IJ movies to read IJ novels or comics - but you can assume that the people reading written and/or pictured Indiana Jones fiction have also seen the films. So no comic or novel (or video game) references to Indy IV, please. I'd hate to see a point where there is an obvious insider joke, but wouldn't be able to catch it.

It's okay to associate internal references between different pieces of IJ comics, novels and such, but not with the movies, since e.g. Indy IV will be seen a lot of people who do not spend any more of their time with the Indylore than those probably -2+ hours of Indy's escapades on screen.

Last edited:

blur

Finn said:
So no comic or novel (or video game) references to Indy IV, please. I'd hate to see a point where there is an obvious insider joke, but wouldn't be able to catch it.

But the OT has numerous examples of just that very thing. For example, R2D2 and C3P0 in the heiroglyphics in some scenes. Or do we assume that all Raiders watchers are familiar with Star Wars? I'd argue that at least some proportion of them aren't.

Finn

Staff member
Of course they are not. But are you really going to compare mainframe Star Wars to Indiana Jones comics maybe, let's say... 5% (an optimistic guess) of all the people who're going to see that movie have read?

You're not thinking now, just arguing for the sake of argument.

blur

Well, not really. You said I'd hate to see a point where there is an obvious insider joke, but wouldn't be able to catch it.

To which I would say, have you calculated a % of pop culture references that you would be able to catch?

All I've done is point out that there are plenty of in-jokes in the films. As to whether you would catch them or not - which is the statement you made - isn't within my capacity to calculate.

None of this is arguing for the sake of arguing - it's just fact.

Webley

No_Ticket said:
I was wondering if the movies at all made reference to any of the comics or novels?
And if not do you think they should in Indy 4?
Id like to see Jack Shannon and / or Gale Parker bolth characters from the novels make the jump to film in Indy4.

Finn

Staff member
I agree with ya Web, but only if they're presented in a way it does not leave the watcher any unanswered questions.

Johan

Yeah, chances are 99.9% of people that are going to see Indy 4 have not read the books. But I do like those charachters, and I too would like to see them on the screen...maybe a short cameo to make us happy?