John Hurt is in Indy 4

Matinee Idyll

Of course John and Denholm both lent their voices to 'Watership Down', the stunning 70's British animated film.

John Hurt has the greatest male voice in the history of the world, next to Richard Burton.

Can't wait - hope he's a baddie.

deckard24

"Insider gossip says Hurt's playing Indy's grandson."

Replican't, you crack me up man! First the Lucas bullfrog neck comment and now this. Every time I read one of your posts, it always seems to be in mid sip of a cup of coffee which is a dangerous time, lol!

Finn

Staff member
Johnny Nys said:
No, he died on October 6th 1992 of tuberculosis.
I wonder if it's enlightened to anyone, but it's hard to say if Elliott would be in even if he lived past that date, as he would be 85 years of age as of now. Something else (read: old age) might as well have caught him by now.

Echo22

I take back my prediction of Hurt being a possible friend of Henry Sr. or anything that would put him more than 20 years older in age. Should have known that he's only 2 years older than Ford. He tends to play characters that are older. I don't necessarily see this as being the case for this one.
I'm banking (hoping) that he's one of the villians.
Who knows? I could also see him as an Indy colleague (a la Marcus)
That would certainly break the stereotype of the British actor playing the main villian in an action film.
If Blanchett is the bad guy then it would not only be two blond, female vilianesses in a row - but also the biggest named talent to play a villian in an Indy movie. Hurt would also be a better known actor playing the villian. It's anyone's guess.
Great cast, though - I can't wait to hear who fits where.

Last edited:

Ray Delark

Mr. Hurt is another great addition to the team of talented craftspeople. He's a marvelous chameleon and morphs into his roles.

AlivePoet

:)

Hello to all of you beloved Indy fans! I'm thoroughly anticipating the next Indy film and feel privileged to be among you all while in angst yet ardent awaiting of news bits. :)

Speaking of which, I just passed by the IMDB and noticed a new identity attached to a certain actor in Indy 4:
John Hurt is listed as portraying Abner Ravenwood in the film - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367882/

Lest I get the Mola Ram treatment, here's hoping this isn't old news. ;)

arkfinder

I'm really starting to the side he's going to play Brody. Based on not much more than pure speculation on my part. I think he can pull it off. It'd be fun if they gave him a little action in the film as well. Like in "Crusade."

Niteshade007

I think I read, it may have even been here (if it wasn't it was on imdb, sorry I can't provide a link to my information), that Jim Broadbent was going to play a professor at Cambridge. He also mentioned his part as a "cameo," and when asked if he was playing Marcus, he laughed. It would seem odd to me if they 1) made another actor play Marcus Brody at all, and 2) had two older professor types in this film. Especially in a film where they are concerned about an older Indy, older sidekicks seems like a really dangerous move. My bet is that Hurt will play a villian, since he does so well in those types of roles. He probably won't be the only one, but probably the big head behind a group of evil-doers. Like that guy in Star Wars (sorry, I've only seen the original once), but he's the one with the black cape and talks in a real raspy voice, sits in a chair, talks to Darth Vader, anyway, he'll probably be something like that, but with more action, hopefully.

Bjorn Heimdall

I don't think J.Hurt will be the Villain. Most probably he helps Indy in some way, whether he is Ravenwood or not. Winstone is the villain (or at least "a" villain), I'd put money on this, because he has that "villain-look".:whip:

MsIndy07

I can definitly see John H. as the ringleader of the "baddies" with Winstone and Blanchett at his side. Broadbent I predict will play a fumbling professor who specializes in the somethign Indy is after. And of course Shia as the sidekick!