What Third Acts Have Been successful?

WillKill4Food

CasualJeff said:
Back to the Future III wraps up the story nicely, but as a movie it is just way too boring. The wild west setting is not as exciting(both visually and storywise) as the 50's or "future", plus the boring boring boring love interest for Doc Brown. Meh. Give me the first two anyday.

I honestly can't think of any third acts that really stand out to me as being good, unless you use stand-alone episodic type series like Indy and Bond.
Personally, I liked BTTF3 as much as any of the other BTTF's - partly because I'm a fan of westerns.

RocketSledFight

The Man said:
The Godfather Part III, replete with flaws, yes, does deserve reappraisal...

*ducks to avoid approaching bile*

Godfather Part III is a good film. It ended the saga of Michael Corleone in a way that was more interesting than what people expected ? and thus, the film was punished.

TheMutt92

No Ticket said:
Really? You think POTC AWE is as good as the first? I thought the ONLY good Pirates movie was the first.

I think I'm in the minority that believes DMC is the best in the trilogy. Oh well...

WillKill4Food

No Ticket said:
Really? You think POTC AWE is as good as the first? I thought the ONLY good Pirates movie was the first.
The first was really good.
The second, in my opinion, sucked. But some people compared it to Empire Strikes Back. Whatever, I didn't like it.
I thought that the third was okay, and, unlike a lot of people, the plot twists and lengthy running time didn't bother me. But it wasn't great, and parts of it just didn't live up to the expectations. Also, many parts of the movie were just outlandish. The bittersweet ending was something I really didn't like, how Will is now the captain of the Dutchman and can only see Elizabeth once every ten years. That is downright sad. In the original script, there was a scene that explained that if Elizabeth was true to him during those ten years, he wouldn't have to go back to sea ever again and he could stay home with her. But the writer's cut the scene, citing the lengthy running time as the reason. Really, I don't think people will mind if a three hour movie is five minutes longer, especially if those five minutes will allow them to leave it happy for the two lovers, instead of pitying them.

RocketSledFight

TheMutt92 said:
I think I'm in the minority that believes DMC is the best in the trilogy. Oh well...

DMC could have been the best in the trilogy... but World's End negated it. I really enjoyed the second one in the theater but a lot of that enjoyment was in looking forward to the payoff...

Which was presented in the form of a billion needless plot twists and Keith Richards.

RocketSledFight

WillKill4Food said:
But the writer's cut the scene, citing the lengthy running time as the reason. Really, I don't think people will mind if a three hour movie is five minutes longer, especially if those five minutes will allow them to leave it happy for the two lovers, instead of pitying them.

Wow. I didn't know that little fact.

I did pity them when I left. That's probably the best way to describe it.

CasualJeff

Ok, I just remembered that Harry Potter 3 was pretty good. I didn't care for the first one, thought the second was alright and thought the third was really good. (Keep in mind that I'm not a huge Potter fans. No interest in reading the books, and only buy the DVDs for the kiddies, who love them for some reason.)

Mutt-Jones III

Third Acts.

In my opinion:
-24 Season 3 If that counts.
-Die Hard with a Vengeance
-Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
-The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
-The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor Just my opinon, don't yell.
-Ocean's Thirteen
-Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
-Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi :whip:

More later. Edit: :whip:

The Man

Mutt-Jones III said:
In my opinion:

Excellent choice! Most movie thrillers could only hope to match that. The Mexico sting episodes were superb...

jonesissparrow

CasualJeff said:
Ok, I just remembered that Harry Potter 3 was pretty good. I didn't care for the first one, thought the second was alright and thought the third was really good. (Keep in mind that I'm not a huge Potter fans. No interest in reading the books, and only buy the DVDs for the kiddies, who love them for some reason.)

Man I always hate that people and fans liked the third Harry Potter, I never liked the third one, it was too artsy and there too many gaping plot holes for me to count. For me Prisoner of Azkaban was the weakest one! The second one was a perfect Potter film.

00Kevin

Indyfan
mmm, I second goldfinger

Mutt-Jones III said:
In my opinion:

I was sorta let down by Season 3. Season 2 had concluded with so many haning questions that made my mouth water (palmer's health, max, nina, mandy, jack's health) which were almost completely avoided in season 3. plus the episodes were pretty weak up until the final 8 or 9 and the finale wasn't up to par. still, good show, i need to get back into it

Die hard W.A.V., good stuff