Joe Brody

frost600.jpg

From the New York Times
January 28, 2008
This Land
A Violation of Both the Law and the Spirit
By DAN BARRY
RIPTON, Vt.

Imagining that late December night of long darkness, you can almost hear these youths of Vermont tramping up to the isolated farmhouse to intrude upon the sanctuary stillness. The break of snow beneath their feet would be the least of it.

They had driven or walked a half-mile up a snow-covered lane called Frost Road, then trudged past a large blue sign that explained the historic significance of the farmhouse and the cabin beyond. And now they were entering the coldness of an uninhabited place, carrying with them cases of beer, bottles of rum and a store of ignorance about things that matter here.

Over the next several hours, more than 30 teenagers and young adults toasted their post-adolescence with liquor carrying the added kick of illicitness. By early morning they were gone, leaving a wounded house watched over by winter-stripped birches and sugar maples.

The damage left in their wake reflected some alcohol-induced mischief tinged with certain anger. Broken window, broken screen, broken dishes, broken antiques. Pieces of a broken chair used for wood in the fireplace. Gobs of phlegm spat upon hanging artwork. Vomit, urine, beer everywhere. And a blanket of yellow, pollenlike dust, discharged from fire extinguishers in parting punctuation.

Before long, distressing word spread from Ripton to Middlebury and beyond that the preserved farmhouse once owned by Robert Frost had been vandalized ? desecrated, some said. If these children of the Green Mountains knew this house was once Frost?s, then shame. If they did not know, then shame still; they should have. How many had been weaned on Frost? How many had tromped through here on class trips and family outings?

It seemed once that Robert Frost would be with us forever, like some lichen-laced stone in a field. But finally he did die, in 1963 at the age of 88, leaving biographers to quarrel about his merits as a man and readers to marvel over his body of work, which, among other achievements, twinned a mastery of language with wisdom about natural things.

Here, though, Frost lingers. Peering down from his portrait in the Middlebury Inn. Speaking through snippets of poetry displayed at the Robert Frost Interpretive Trail. Shuffling in spirit around the Homer Noble Farm, which he bought in 1939 and lived in during summer and fall: there in the rustic cabin above, writing, ruminating, while his close friend and protector, Kay Morrison, in the now-vandalized farmhouse just below, screened visitors eager for an audience with the great and garrulous bard ? who might very well talk and talk until those visitors fairly begged to be dismissed.

Imagining still, as all poets invite us to, you can almost see Frost observing the vandalism and aftermath from that cabin above, wondering briefly whether these youths were, say, acolytes of Carl Sandburg, exacting revenge because Frost considered their hero poet second-rate. Sipping his tea, he rummages through his mind?s deep storehouse for the metaphors that would provide context, that would find renewal in this destruction.

A day or so after the vandalism, a passing hiker alerted Middlebury College, which now owns the property, that the farmhouse door was open. Then a car wedged in snow off the main road led the authorities to a young man who said he had been at a party in the area. Oh really, said Sgt. Lee Hodsden of the state police.

With the help of Officer Scott Fisher of the Middlebury police, who is based mostly at Middlebury Union High School, Sergeant Hodsden gathered names, called in witnesses and heard accounts of that night, some delivered through tears, a couple with indifference. What emerged was a small-town epic about so much more than $10,000 in damages.

A 17-year-old boy who had once worked as a kitchen aide at Middlebury College?s Bread Loaf campus recognized the remote farmhouse?s potential for parties. He also knew a young adult willing to buy the central party ingredient, alcohol, at the Hannaford Supermarket. Word spread by mouth and text messages.

Mix 30 or more young people with 150 cans of beer, a few bottles of liquor and some drugs, put them in a museumlike,unheated house in the dead of winter, and the ensuing discussions will not center on the sublime construction of ?Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening.? Some played drinking games, some got sick, some did damage, and all followed that snowy path out, bound together by a secret that could not keep.

Even a frozen meadow sends ripples when disturbed.

Rippling through Middlebury College, which dispatched a cleaning crew to the farmhouse. Kelly Trayah was among those who cleaned up the vomit, repaired the furniture, wiped the yellow dust from the many books, and now he wonders whatever happened to respect for elders. He is 37.

Through the college?s classrooms, where the English professor and nature writer John Elder, intimately familiar with the farmhouse and cabin, wonders what possibilities the destruction might provide. Could this violation of Frost lead to a celebration of Frost?

Through Middlebury Union High School, where administrators and teachers are talking about disconnection and, once again, substance abuse. For the rest of the year, the principal, William Lawson, predicted, ?there will be a lot of Robert Frost quoted.?

Finally, through the state police barracks, where Sergeant Hodsden had more than two dozen young people photographed, fingerprinted and cited for unlawful trespass, with a few also cited for unlawful mischief. He cannot shake the indifference of one youth in particular, who asked whether he could use his mug shot on his Facebook page.

In conveying his disgust over this communal breach, the police sergeant employed the Frostian technique of repetition.

?They should have known,? he said. ?They should have known.?

Regardless of what you think about young vandals, you gotta love the kid wanting to put his mugshot on his Facebook page -- which begs the question: should everyone grow up to be a conforming boyscout?

Last edited:

roundshort

Kids will be Kids. Cut 'em some slack. Shame on the house for not having better security!

No really, they should be cut slack but made to clean up the house and do tours for the rest of the year. But don't mess with their futures.

Pale Horse

Staff member
My Favorite Poet

What would Robert have said? Would he side with roundy?

Frost said:
Hannibal

Was there even a cause too lost,
Ever a cause that was lost too long,
Or that showed with the lapse of time to vain
For the generous tears of youth and song?

or with me...?

Frost said:
Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favour fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Geez...partying's fine, but there haven't been many like Frost. Should have found another place, obviously. I'd say desecration is as good a description as any.

What's odd to me is that I've had "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" running through my head for no obvious reason since yesterday.

I think roundshort's got the right idea. I don't know if they should be on the property, but hell, they'll be other people there, and with some luck, the actual meaning of what they did might get through to them. But, with that said...you really don't want to ruin their futures.

No Ticket

Don't ruin their futures... but they deserve some harsh punishment. The place has HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE. This is ridiculous disrespect for history and the works of Frost. Not to mention plain disgusting attitudes if you ask me. "Dah, can I use my mugshot on Facebook?" Screw that guy. Smartass. I really think they're not connecting with the importance of the place or what they have done.

That is just pathetic.

Pale Horse

Staff member
"Ruin their futures"...?

I call it accountability. They already 'ruined' it by their own choice. We as a society should hold them to their choices.

That applies to the property owners as well. There should have been a more effective security and now those owners are accountable for choosing to leave the site "as it were".

roundshort

I know some people who grew up int he same town that the famous house, Falling Water was, (this was before it was a major tourist area) Well the winters were so nasty that they house was closed up and empty. The kids found a way in, and they would go their to party. But, because they had enough respect for the house (and knew it was a kick ass play to hang in the winter) they went to extremes to leave no trace. So I am all for B&E, not for destruction of property though.

Kids today!

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
Ah the Irony of Emerson. Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

WWWOOOOOPPPPPP WWWWWOOOOOOPPPPP WWWWOOOOOOPPPP

Sound the "Deepness Alarm" Pale horse has just taken The Raven into dangerously enlightened territory! We are getting way to heavy! Must fight back and watch 3 hours of family guy, American Pie, and Brittany Spears news specials, need to be more shallow!

Joe Brody

If there is one thing I hate more than an unlocked footlocker is an unlocked dead poet's house out in the woods.

In my best D.I. Hartman voice:
If it wasn't for d!ckheads like [the granola-eating volunteers that maintained the house], there wouldn't [have been any teen binge drinking party], would there?

House should've been better secured. Pale Horse got it right (and I'm surpised roundshort missed the chance to reference Full Metal Jacket -- I guess he lost his DVD).

Pale Horse said:
. . .We as a society should hold them to their choices.

That applies to the property owners as well. There should have been a more effective security and now those owners are accountable for choosing to leave the site "as it were".

Pale Horse said:
Ah the Irony of Emerson. Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

That's good. I like that. But Emerson would be doubtlessly be a take-out-more-than-you-bring-in kinda guy if he were alive today.

ReggieSnake

It is really too bad that these kids have no appreciation for great poets like Frost. I think it is pretty obvious most of then didn't realize really what they were doing. I think they should pay some hefty fines, but not necessarily community service. Hopefully they cultivate a deeper appreication for great men in American and literary history, and the inherrent disadvantages associated with drinking parties.:p