Paramount Pictures and the mystery of the second trailer

Matt Holcomb

We're now in the middle of April and still no full-length trailer for "KotCS". Like a lot of you, I'm trying to figure out what marketing play Paramount is running here.

There have been conflicting reports on how the second trailer is going to be released. Some have said it's only going to get an online release "sometime in April" via the widget, while others have said it's going to be attached to "Iron Man", which is released on May 2.

It's possible Paramount are making this marketing campaign up as they go, in which case, it would make better bottom-line sense if they've decided to go with the latter option, effectively forcing people to see their other big May movie if they want to see the second "KotCS" trailer before it's released online.

If it turns out that Paramount releases the trailer with "Iron Man", a twenty-day promotional cycle seems awfully short to me, even after factoring in the franchise's in-built fan base, the twenty-seven-year brand awareness and the feverish anticipation for "KotCS".

It would be interesting to compare the "KotCS" trailer schedule with other recent Paramount-distributed blockbusters to know if this strategy is tried and true or, as I suspect, unique ...

dallasindy

We will get another trailer. There shouldnt be any doubt in that. It it supposed to be the middle to end of April, so give it some time.

MarxBrosFan

dallasindy said:
We will get another trailer. There shouldnt be any doubt in that. It it supposed to be the middle to end of April, so give it some time.

Where did this news of a second trailer come from any way?

effin

it would be cool for no trailor. more to be surprised by!!! hard to wait I know, but I cant resist spoilers so it's great that there are some surprises left.

TideHorn78

I don't think there will be another trailer either. As fun as Iron Man looks, Indy 4 needs no more publicity. People know it's coming and excitement is about as high as you can get!

Matt Holcomb

MarxBrosFan said:
I don't think we will get another trailer at this point.
Heh. If Paramount release "KotCS" with only a teaser trailer it would be the first time it's happened in the thirty-year history of the modern blockbuster.

Trust me; there will be a second, full-length trailer for "KotCS", it's just a case of when.

I know where you're coming from, though: a late April/early May release seems almost pointless in its tardiness.

spiralout

I've been checking the BBFC website where we discovered the length of the first trailer, but there's no info to be found on the second trailer. :(

loganbush

I agree there needs to be another trailer, but the first one is the most watched trailer ever and I doubt that will be passed with over 200 million views or whatever it was.

snake_surprise

Why would they call the first one a teaser if they had no intention of making an official trailer?

There will be a trailer...there is still plenty of time.

windgirlcruse

I hopeing that the a offical trailer come beacause I kinda tried all of the Iron Man show all kind of new thing in them from commercial every day compare to KotCS not got out lots of new thing for the fan.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Ah... so the red carpet at Cannes is the red dye of the suicidal blood of Indyfans driven to the edge because of the whole marketing campaign of a movie that doesn't exist, so Paramount can make even more millions of dollars out of already multi-million dollar franchise. I'm not surprised. :rolleyes:

crowmagnumman

I think there will be another trailer. They'd planned to debut the second trailer in the widget I thought.

But I'd prefer there was no more trailers or tv spots. They've given away enough already. Trailers spoil too much anymore. I know, I could just not watch them. I'd rather the temptation wasn't there in the first place. I would have enjoyed Rambo 4 a lot more if they hadn't spoiled most of the best action moments in the trailers already.

Gobi-1

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End only had one trailer so it wouldn't completely surprise me if we only get one Indy teaser. However I do think they'll be another one by the end of the month.

No Ticket

A bunch of my friends think the original trailer was lame. And I kind of agree in the sense that I think it could have been done a lot better. I'm wanting to see this second trailer... because I think it WILL be a lot better.