Secret de la Pyramide

indyclone25

page12.jpg

page13.jpg

DIrishB

Stoo said:
Any idea when they were reprinted? I thought these were long defunct...

Oh they are. The three of the French comic stories came out originally in France, then the first two were reprinted and available in Canada through Shell Gas Stations. I think most copies of the first two tales available are the Shell reprints. Hence the third comic (Indiana Jones et le Grimoire Maudit
/ Indiana Jones and the Cursed Book of Magic) is basically impossible to find nowadays, at least in the US.

indyclone25 said:
about 46 pages

Cool, thanks!

my book says it was first printed in 1993 . so if they reprinted it i was didn't know when?

Yeah, you definitly have the original version available in France. The reprint versions have different covers, with more bordering and less artwork. I think the Shell reprints came out around the mid 90's, like 1995-1997.

Rob Dangerous

DIrishB said:
Hence the third comic (Indiana Jones et le Grimoire Maudit
/ Indiana Jones and the Cursed Book of Magic) is basically impossible to find nowadays, at least in the US.
At least it was really difficult ;)
I'll continue with scans of the third one when the first two are done (unless Junior Jones wants to do it).

DIrishB

Rob Dangerous said:
At least it was really difficult ;)
I'll continue with scans of the third one when the first two are done (unless Junior Jones wants to do it).

:Rob swoops in, saves the day yet again:

Nice. Thanks again, I look forward to it. My copy of the second (and first) volume should be to me in a few weeks, so I'll start posting scans then.

EDIT: Maybe a mod or admin or indyclone25 (if he's able to, I'm not sure if he can) should change the title of the thread to reflect the fact the French Indy comics are posted here, and being translated. Would probably help direct a lot more posters to this valuable resource!

indyclone25

DIrishB said:
This is awesome, thanks Indyclone for posting these. And just so poor Stoo isn't the only one to rely on for translations, try this site:

FreeTranslation.com

You just set it to "French to English", type in the French words, hit FREE TRANSLATION, and voila!

i tried to use that and somehow it kept messing up and not finishing the complete sentence

DIrishB

indyclone25 said:
i tried to use that and somehow it kept messing up and not finishing the complete sentence

??

Hmmmm....try breaking it up into smaller sections, maybe that'll help. There are several other websites that serve the same purpose, search for and try those if you can't get it working on that one.

DIrishB

Indyclone25's Indy French comic scans with translations courtesy of Stoo:

Indiana Jones et la Secret de la Pyramide

Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Pyramid

scan0006.jpg

page01.jpg

Page 1
Panel 1)
Indy: Again an effort, Selim, here we are. I have the premonition that we will find an unviolated tomb...
Selim: Of Osiris, you hear, Mister Jones...but we have been disappointed many times. Treasure seekers
have always arrived before us.

Panel 2)
Indy: A tomb that has not been searched not the kings, nor the pastors, nor the Medes of Cambyse,
nor the Romans, nor the Greeks, nor the Arabs…I am certain that we have found a tomb that will
deliver to us it’s mystery and riches intact. Look the clay tablet is intact!

Panel 3)
Indy: I am certain that this tomb is unviolated and that no hand has troubled it since
more than 3000 years. Since the priests rolled some rocks in front of its opening...

Panel 4)
Indy: Selim, we are living intense moments

page02.jpg

Page 2)
Page 2 - Panel 1)
Indy: Maybe we are rejoicing too soon…Maybe we’re going to know the same disappointment as Belzoni.
As he penetrated the tomb of Menephta Seti…The pillagers ended up at the royal tomb by one of their
surveys carried out in another point of the mountain!

Page 2 - Panel 2)
Selim: Oh no! The channel is too thick and the hypogeum too distant from the others that
these moles of misfortune could, by scraping the rock, to prolong their path right to here!

Page 2 - Panel 3)
Selim: What do you see Mister Jones?
Indy: Nothing…a corridor. At the end, another door…Good God, We’re going to descend
even further ahead. Descend right to the centre of the earth? The heat increases so much
that we must not be far from the living room of the damned!

Page 2 - Panel 4)
Selim: What will we find beyond that door?
Indy: Again an effort, my friend, and we shall know it…

Page 2 - Panel 5)
Indy: Let’s be wary…One never knows which trap could prepare the (colchytes ???) monitoring
these funerary residences

page03.jpg

Page 3)
Page 3 - Panel 1)
Indy: A trap Selim…Let’s flee…If not, we’re going to be buried alive in a sea of sand…

Page 3 - Panel 3)
Indy: Saved!
Selim: Maybe not…

Page 3 - Panel 4)
Selim: These corridors were conceived in a way so that the slightest weight releases
a protection system…I heard a talk about it at the Cairo Museum by Professor Mortimer…

Page 3 - Panel 5)
Indy: Let’s flee Selim. If not the sand will suffocate us!

page04.jpg

Page 4)
Page 4 - Panel 1)
Indy: Saved “in extremis”! (at the point of death!) The secret of this tomb will be preserved forever…
Selim, tell me about your friend, Ibrahim who, according to you, will be in possession of a mysterious secret,
that he’ll be ready to sell to the highest bidder?

Page 4 - Panel 2)
Selim: For that, Mister Jones, We must return to Cairo…Ibrahim is an antique dealer…For a few hundred pounds, he’ll reveal his secret to you.

Page 4 - Panel 3)
Indy: I lost a few hundred pounds for that tomb…but I’m ready to spend the same amount to go search for another treasure…Anyway, pardon me.

Page 4 - Panel 4)
Selim: In a few hours, we’ll take the train to Luxor…Tomorrow, we will be in Cairo!

page05.jpg

Page 5)
Page 5 - Panel 1)
Indy: Selim talked to me about a fabulous treasure…
Ibrahim: Mister Jones…I guess that you’re a scientist and not a simple traveler.
Vulgar curiosities could not seduce you. I will reveal to you a tomb which, until now,
has escaped the investigations of seekers, except one. Professor Mortimer…
It’s a treasure that I’ve preciously guarded for you…

Page 5 - Panel 2)
Indy: Yes, Selim told me about a treasure that would make you pay a lot for.
But this archaeologist, Mortimer, didn’t he disappear from Cairo a few weeks ago?
If I’m not mistaken.

Page 5 - Panel 3)
Ibrahim: Exactly, Mister Jones…My frankness prevents me from contradicting you.
I hope to draw a good price from my discovery…Each one seen, in this world, of his little industry…
I unearth the Pharaohs and I sell them to foreigners…The Pharaoh is rare, as things go…
The article is in demand and since they haven’t been made in such a long time…
Indy: Indeed, a few centuries ago, the Colchytes, the Paraschists and the Tarischeutes
closed shop and the Memnonia, quiet quarters of the dead, were deserted by the living.
So, you would be in possession of Professor Mortimer’s notes?

Page 5 - Panel 4)
Ibrahim: In a certain sense, yes…It all depends on Anubis!

Page 5 - Panel 5)
Indy: Talk, Ibrahim…I’m a taker!

page06.jpg

Page 6)
Page 6 - Panel 1)
Indy: I’m listening. Give me your price. Then we’ll talk. You’ll explain to me how you’ve
obtained these documents.

Page 6 - Panel 2)
Selim: Mister Jones! My God. They’ve killed him!

Page 6 - Panel 3)
Indy: Who killed him?

Page 6 - Panel 4)
Selim: I don’t know, effendi! Someone stabbed him through the armchair. We have to leave
this place as fast as possible because the Egyptian authorities are likely to give us trouble,
if they find us.

Page 6 - Panel 5)
Indy: Readily…but where are Mortimer’s notes?
Selim: Here…

Page 6 - Panel 6)
Indy: Where could Ibrahim have hidden them? In a safe?

page07.jpg

Page 7)
Page 7 - Panel 1)
Selim: Mister Jones…Ibrahim spoke of the god, Anubis…The statue, there, beside you!

Page 7 - Panel 2)
Indy: You believe…but yes…

Page 7 - Panel 3)
Selim: Effendi…We’ve found the notes.
Indy: Thanks, Selim. Thanks to you!

Page 7 - Panel 4)
Selim: Gotta leave…The place is becoming dangerous to visit.
Indy: You’re right. In a few minutes, this place will be crawling with
the police. Like flies on a slice of honey-bread!

Page 7 - Panel 5)
Indy: Selim. I’m going to go back to my hotel, the Mena House. I’m going to dive into
reading Professor Mortimer’s notes. If I’m in need of you, I’ll give you a sign at the museum…
Thanks for everything!
Selim: I am at your command, Effendi Jones.

page08.jpg

Page 8)
Page 8 - Panel 1)
Mystery Man: Impassioning…and at the same time, incredible! This deserves to be verified.
I’m returning. I’m going to take a shower…

Page 8 - Panel 3)
Mystery Man: Excuse me, I was thinking, but, is it you, Marya! What are you doing in Egypt?
Marya: Guess, smart guy!

Page 8 - Panel 4)
Mystery Man: Let me guess…Of course, you are in Egypt to interview Howard Carter
and Lord Carnarvon…They are at the point of penetrating Tutankhamen’s burial chamber.
Marya: You’ve won. But that’s already done with. I’ve arrived from the Valley of Kings.
The interview is in my bag. I’m cabling it tomorrow to New York. The Globe may be proud
of its most precious collaborator!

Page 8 - Panel 5)
Mystery Man: That tells you to go visit the pyramid of Kheops tonight?
Marya: What? I’ve been waiting for an invitation to dinner. Well, you excite my curiosity.
With pleasure. See you then!

page09.jpg

page10.jpg

page11.jpg

page12.jpg

page13.jpg

Stoo

indyclone25 said:
i'm thinking that the mystery man is indy
D'oh! It was the hair that threw me off. I thought it was an unintroduced villain!:eek:

indyclone25 said:
i will try this i hope it will work cause i would hate to have to wait for stoo to get back from his trip to help out on this
I am back on Friday. Anyway, the dialogue is pretty basic so it's not taking as long to translate as I thought.
May just get around to doing some more before Friday.:)

Rob Dangerous said:
Absolutely marvelous! I noticed DIrishB started this thread:

Indiana Jones - Rare Tales Omnibus Thread

Maybe they should be added there?

Junior Jones

Rob Dangerous said:

Go ahead. I don't have access to a scanner. (Except at work, but I really don't think I could convince my supervisor that a French comic book about Indiana Jones is work-related.)

Stoo

Page 9 + Page 10 + Page 11

Page 9)
Page 9 - Panel 1)
No Dialogue

----

Page 10)
Page 10 - Panel 1)
Indy: Courage, Marya. About ten degrees and we are there.
Marya: But, Indy, what is this mystery?

Page 10 - Panel 2)
Indy: Marya. Take a good look?As the entrance, the anomalies are visible?The tomb is accessible only be one,
very small excavation similar to the other openings of pyramids. But, Professor Mortimer asked himself, why cap
this assembly of enormous lintels, themselves protected by these gigantic rafters?
Marya: Continue your demonstration?

Page 10 - Panel 3)
Indy: Professor Mortimer, in his notes, thinks that this decoration could hide another entrance closed by
the supervising Colchytes of the funerary residences. Let?s go. We?re going to verify Mortimer?s theories.
I?ll make a drawing for you so you can understand where we?re going?Look?

Page 10 - Panel 4)
Indy: See there, we?ll avoid the queen?s chamber and that of the king, to go here?

----

Page 11)
Page 11 - Panel 1)
Marya: You could give me some indications?I miss an excellent dinner at Mena House to find myself
in a nauseating corridor, which I?ve gone down many, many times. I know the result. We?ll arrive in an empty
and sinister part?

Page 11 - Panel 2)
Indy: According to Mortimer?s notes, these mortises could have been used to draw up a sort of scaffolding
to arrive at the ceiling?It would have, maybe, some hidden cavities.

Page 11 - Panel 3)
Indy: Mortimer?s thinks that all the machinery, the stone harrows, for example, was constructed
to divert plunderers?In fact, Kheops? mummy would be in another place.

Page 11 - Panel 4)
Marya: There would be other hidden parts?...The mummy would still be in the pyramid?

Page 11 - Panel 5)
Indy: Could be. If we find the part Mortimer desperately looked for?

Page 11 - Panel 6)
Indy: Marya, bend down. The ceiling is becoming lower and lower?Still a few metres and we are there.

indyclone25

hey stoo thanks for coming and doiing this ---i tried the site to translate and it wasnt working that well for me --- i put up some newer pages but i will wait on the next few pages til you catch up , i know everyone is loving this -- i think the art is very well done on this story

Stoo

Page 12 + 13

Page 12)
Page 12 - Panel 1)
Indy: Here we are?You?re right. The place is sinister! So Mortimer claims that this pyramid is the quadrature
of the circle solved in stones. For him, it?s impossible to randomly attribute that the side edges of the pyramid
correspond exactly to the four cardinal points. Take the torch, please.

Page 12 - Panel 2)
Indy: The pyramid is situated, indeed, 29 degrees, 58 minutes and 22 seconds, north latitude?Listen well.
The entrance gallery, the one which we took, is to be found exactly in the North-South direction. This gallery
thus indicates the direction of the North Pole sky.

Page 12 - Panel 3)
Indy: So, one can perceive from the interior, the moonlight at the moment of it?s lower culmination?
We are living the moment?
Marya: Incredible! It is practically inconceivable that chance alone presided over this assembly?
Impressing coincidences?This gleam must indicate something?

Page 12 - Panel 4)
Indy: Admittedly. Mortimer was looking for something but what? Did he find the secret of Kheops? pyramid?
He affirmed that the pyramid made less a tomb then an observatory and maybe a science academy for priests.
According to him, it has all the chances of being built effectively at the beginning of the XXXIVst century,
only plausible date from now on.

Page 12 - Panel 5)
Indy: Mortimer discovered something?But at the moment where he went to apply his theory,
he disappeared. Why?

Page 12 - Panel 6)
Marya: Indy, in a few minutes, the beam is going to disappear. It must be found.
If not, we?ll have to come back tomorrow night.
Indy: Let?s see. If I push on this spot?

----

Page 13)
Page 13 - Panel 1)
Indy: Let?s try!

Page 13 - Panel 2)
Marya: The stone moves!

DIrishB

Stoo said:
I noticed DIrishB started this thread:

Indiana Jones - Rare Tales Omnibus Thread

Maybe they should be added there?

Yeah, I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I thought it'd be easier for people to find if I just condensed all the hard to find comic scans there. I'll keep copying them if you want to keep posting here, no big deal. I don't want to derail other people's threads, you know?

indyclone25 said:
i think the art is very well done on this story

Completely agree. I like it. Not as good as Tomb of the Gods, but definitly better than the majority of the older Dark Horse tales (I don't know why, but a lot of the 90's DH Indy art was tough to look at).

DIrishB

Page 9)
Page 9 - Panel 1)
No Dialogue

----

Page 10)
Page 10 - Panel 1)
Indy: Courage, Marya. About ten degrees and we are there.
Marya: But, Indy, what is this mystery?

Page 10 - Panel 2)
Indy: Marya. Take a good look?As the entrance, the anomalies are visible?The tomb is accessible only be one,
very small excavation similar to the other openings of pyramids. But, Professor Mortimer asked himself, why cap
this assembly of enormous lintels, themselves protected by these gigantic rafters?
Marya: Continue your demonstration?

Page 10 - Panel 3)
Indy: Professor Mortimer, in his notes, thinks that this decoration could hide another entrance closed by
the supervising Colchytes of the funerary residences. Let?s go. We?re going to verify Mortimer?s theories.
I?ll make a drawing for you so you can understand where we?re going?Look?

Page 10 - Panel 4)
Indy: See there, we?ll avoid the queen?s chamber and that of the king, to go here?

----

Page 11)
Page 11 - Panel 1)
Marya: You could give me some indications?I miss an excellent dinner at Mena House to find myself
in a nauseating corridor, which I?ve gone down many, many times. I know the result. We?ll arrive in an empty
and sinister part?

Page 11 - Panel 2)
Indy: According to Mortimer?s notes, these mortises could have been used to draw up a sort of scaffolding
to arrive at the ceiling?It would have, maybe, some hidden cavities.

Page 11 - Panel 3)
Indy: Mortimer?s thinks that all the machinery, the stone harrows, for example, was constructed
to divert plunderers?In fact, Kheops? mummy would be in another place.

Page 11 - Panel 4)
Marya: There would be other hidden parts?...The mummy would still be in the pyramid?

Page 11 - Panel 5)
Indy: Could be. If we find the part Mortimer desperately looked for?

Page 11 - Panel 6)
Indy: Marya, bend down. The ceiling is becoming lower and lower?Still a few metres and we are there.

Page 12)
Page 12 - Panel 1)
Indy: Here we are?You?re right. The place is sinister! So Mortimer claims that this pyramid is the quadrature
of the circle solved in stones. For him, it?s impossible to randomly attribute that the side edges of the pyramid
correspond exactly to the four cardinal points. Take the torch, please.

Page 12 - Panel 2)
Indy: The pyramid is situated, indeed, 29 degrees, 58 minutes and 22 seconds, north latitude?Listen well.
The entrance gallery, the one which we took, is to be found exactly in the North-South direction. This gallery
thus indicates the direction of the North Pole sky.

Page 12 - Panel 3)
Indy: So, one can perceive from the interior, the moonlight at the moment of it?s lower culmination?
We are living the moment?
Marya: Incredible! It is practically inconceivable that chance alone presided over this assembly?
Impressing coincidences?This gleam must indicate something?

Page 12 - Panel 4)
Indy: Admittedly. Mortimer was looking for something but what? Did he find the secret of Kheops? pyramid?
He affirmed that the pyramid made less a tomb then an observatory and maybe a science academy for priests.
According to him, it has all the chances of being built effectively at the beginning of the XXXIVst century,
only plausible date from now on.

Page 12 - Panel 5)
Indy: Mortimer discovered something?But at the moment where he went to apply his theory,
he disappeared. Why?

Page 12 - Panel 6)
Marya: Indy, in a few minutes, the beam is going to disappear. It must be found.
If not, we?ll have to come back tomorrow night.
Indy: Let?s see. If I push on this spot?

----

Page 13)
Page 13 - Panel 1)
Indy: Let?s try!

Page 13 - Panel 2)
Marya: The stone moves!

Page 13 - Panel 3)
No Dialogue

Stoo

Page 14 + Page 15

Page 14)
Page 14 - Panel 1)
Indy: The first two registers represent divinities. Canopic jar and a solar boat with Kheops, perhaps?
The three others, placed underneath, show baboons and cobras. They are the symbols of the rising sun.
That?s to say, of the resurrection?On the sides, the writing is much more difficult.
Marya: What can we do? Do you think you?ll have time to decode the hieroglyphs?

----

Page 15)
Page 15 - Panel 1)
Indy: In a certain sense, yes?It?s written that the mummy of Kheops would be buried in a sarcophogus
in waiting for his passage. When Ka seperates from Khet, meaning, the divine spirit leaves the body,
the vital support disappears, then comes the death that brings on the freedom of his Ba, his soul?
It is written that the funeral procession is part of the house of life. Then the sarcophogus was
transported in a boat on the Nile, to the destination of?

Page 15 - Panel 2)
Marya: Yes?You look stupefied?
Indy: There?s what. It?s written that the mummy would have been transported to a place called
the City of Beyond, to be plunged into the waters of the River of Longevity..The boat, named Khefer,
descended into the ?Gallery of the Night?. It was the wise god Anubis who served as guide?

Page 15 - Panel 3)
Marya: Still anything else?
Indy: The magic words, when arriving at the door of the City of Beyond, were:
-?Open the door to me and be my guide!?
Ah! There, valuable information. Kheops would be buried in the Necropolis of Thebes.
In the south part, that which has never been explored?

Page 15 - Panel 4)
Indy: This initiating voyage was to lead Kheops to identification with the sky, with Ra, the supreme being!

Page 15 - Panel 5)
Indy: There, the place where Kheops and other pharaohs would be buried: The City of Beyond?
It?s rather precise?It would be found facing the funeral temple of Amenophis III!

Stoo

Page 16 + Page 17

Page 16)
Page 16 - Panel 1)
Indy: Help me. This section of the wall must find it?s original place. If not, all the pillagers will be on our trail!
Marya: You intend to leave on the search for the City of Beyond?

Page 16 - Panel 2)
Indy: Admittedly. This will be a discovery comparable to that of Howard Carter. And for him, what exposure!

Page 16 - Panel 3)
Marya: Seeing you this way, you interest me.

Page 16 - Panel 4)
Disembodied Voice: Everything is in place. Calmly return to the hotel!

Page 16 - Panel 5)
Indy: Let?s be careful. I believe that we were spied on!
Marya: You?re right?There was someone behind those stone blocks.

----

Page 17)
Page 17 - Panel 1)
Indy: Watch out, Marya!

Page 17 - Panel 3)
Marya: Help me, Indy!

Page 17 - Panel 4)
Indy: I?m coming, Marya!