Secret de la Pyramide

DIrishB

Stoo said:
We're half-way there...:D

Since I was buying gas at Esso, it's no wonder I was oblivious of the Shell promo. Thanks for the info!!!:hat:

Anytime. :)

I was in the Indy Shop at Disneyland Paris a few months ago and there was no printed material at all.:(

Huh, that sucks. Well, the Shell reprints of the first two aren't too hard to find. You can get them through Amazon.fr from individual used booksellers. I actually just got the first one in the mail (the one you guys are translating now), but I'm waiting till the translations are done before reading it (I'll use those as a guide so I'll know what everyone's saying). I'll also post everything in the IJ Rare Tales Omnibus thread and start posting scans of the second story Indiana Jones and the City of Lightning--I forget what its called in its original French. It hasn't gotten to me yet, but I'm sure it'll be here in the next week or so. The timing should work out nicely.

If you guys are still willing to do this, I'm game. So far, this has been fun.:cool:
(It kind of resembles a cliff-hanger serial being played out chapter by chapter...)

Oh, definitly. I'll be sure to post the scans of the second as soon as it arrives. Shouldn't be more than a week or so.

DIrishB

So I got my copy of this in the mail today (the Shell reprint version), and noticed something weird:

Apparently, the first four pages of the reprint are missing. Not that they're missing from the book (were ripped out, etc), but they were never printed in the Shell reprint versions to begin with. The way my book is set up, Page 1 is the interior title page (the name of the story, Author/Artist name, and a B&W drawing of Indy in the art style of the interior). Page 2 is the publishing info, copyright, etc. Page 3 is another title page with a more detailed drawing of Indy leaning against a stone cylinder thing, in B&W with the Indiana Jones name spelled out above him. Page 4 seems to be a two paragraph introduction page. Page 5 is a photo of Indy on the bridge with the machete from Templer of Doom, Page 6 is almost blank except for a B&W Indy fedora and whip icon/drawing, and Page 7 is where the comic starts (being Page 5 of IndyClone25's original French version). So for whatever reason they cut out the first four pages with Indy and Selim escaping the falling pyramid/tomb. :(

My version goes to page 48, which means since the comic story started on page 7 there are only 41 pages of comic. I'm pretty sure Indyclone said his version was 46 pages long, so the math works out. This is doubly weird because the cover of the volumes has the artwork from Page 2, Panel 6 (of the original version that Indyclone is posting)...this is one of the missing first four pages. Hmmm...

This ticks me off, but at least Indyclone has those pages posted for us.

However, I'm wondering if they second volume I got (which I believe is also a Shell reprint) will be missing story pages. Luckily, I think Rob Dangerous has scans, so maybe he can provide the first four pages so we don't miss out.

So yeah, the Shell reprints (at least the Secret de la Pyramid volume) are missing the first four pages of story.

Last edited:

indyclone25

pg27.jpg

Stoo

Page 27

Page 27)
Page 27 - Panel 1)
Marya: Indy, I believe that I?m going to join the bottom of this underground more quickly than foreseen!
Indy: Cling to the wall. We?re arriving. There?s a well at the bottom!

Page 27 - Panel 2)
Marya: Look at this rope?It?s hasn?t been very long since someone passed by here. It certainly wasn?t a mummy!
Indy: Perhaps it?s only Professor Mortimer. Let?s go! I?ll go down first!

Page 27 - Panel 3)
Marya: I?m to you. It?s as black as a furnace!

Page 27 - Panel 4)
Indy: Hurry up, Marya?The way is all traced out.

Page 27 - Panel 5)
Marya: You believe that we are on the right path?
Indy: Certainly?This way is not the one by which those who built this city were to arrive.
We are taking the way of the tomb robbers. We should arrive in one of the corridors of the
City of Beyond, if we?re on the right path!

Stoo

Page 28

Page 28)
Page 28 - Panel 1)
Indy: We?re there, Marya!

Page 28 - Panel 2)
Marya: The City of Beyond?
Indy: Without any doubt?

Page 28 - Panel 3)
Indy: There, the secret of Professor Mortimer?The secret of the great pyramid finally revealed..
Marya, who could?ve thought to find such a monument under the desert sand?
Marya: Fantastic. I?m holding the biggest scoop of my life!

DIrishB said:
I'll also post everything in the IJ Rare Tales Omnibus thread and start posting scans of the second story Indiana Jones and the City of Lightning--I forget what its called in its original French. It hasn't gotten to me yet, but I'm sure it'll be here in the next week or so. The timing should work out nicely.
Can't wait!(y)
DIrishB said:
However, I'm wondering if they second volume I got (which I believe is also a Shell reprint) will be missing story pages. Luckily, I think Rob Dangerous has scans, so maybe he can provide the first four pages so we don't miss out.

So yeah, the Shell reprints (at least the Secret de la Pyramid volume) are missing the first four pages of story.
That is very bizarre. So, it starts at Ibrahim's place? I would suspect "City of Lightning" to be the same.
We shall see. If so, yes, maybe Rob Dangerous would be kind enough to provide the missing pages?
Good thing Indyclone started this thread with the original, full-print version!

DIrishB

Stoo said:
That is very bizarre. So, it starts at Ibrahim's place?

Yep. It even features the location/year it takes place on the top of that page (Ibrahim's), as opposed to the first page (Indy and Selim inside the temple/pyramid) like Indyclone's original. It was a little cut off in Indyclone's scan, so I'm not sure if the text has been changed to reflect the different opening locations. Indyclone, if you can, can you either rescan or just type out the French words and year it takes place (1923) on the top of page one?

I would suspect "City of Lightning" to be the same.

I fear it will be. We'll see if Rob can help us out with that.

We shall see. If so, yes, maybe Rob Dangerous would be kind enough to provide the missing pages?

I hope so!

Good thing Indyclone started this thread with the original, full-print version!

Very good thing!

indyclone25

pg 29
panel one:
mystery man "Who are these intruders o big kheops ?"
panel 2:
marya -- "This statue must measure in the fifteen metres of top. colossal as consrtuction...
indy---look at to the statue foot, there is a rock altar intends for the mummies during that one had to fill with fragrance them
panel 3:
indy_--Marya, look at... there is a river that flows to the altar foot!
panel 4:
indy---The river of the longevite!
marya---- very curious ...this is different of all the graves decouvertes in the vallee of the kings... why this temple?
panel 5:
indy---I propose that we passions derriere ( sorry free translation.com couldn't translate ) rules it. looks it, there is a passage
panel 6:
indy----What in do you think marya?

indyclone25

pg 30

panel1:
indy---marya ? marya where are you?
panel 2: marya?
panle4:
indy----Can it be that marya is moved by ... feminine curiosity. ..?

indyclone25

page 31

panel1:
indy----"I am in the statue tete! "
panel 2:
indy----"Curious, why these metallic plates. ... and this stairway? "
panel 3:
indy----"What there does it have derriere?"(again no translation for last word?)
panel4:
indy---- 'She must weigh a ton! impossible to budge it! "
panel 5:
indy----"A secret mechanism must open this door! ah!"

Stoo

Page 29 - Page 32

Hey, Indyclone. I see you took a stab at translating. Not bad! (Have I been fired?)
Hope you don't mind if I redo the last few pages.;)

Page 29)
Page 29 - Panel 1)
Mystery Man: Who are these intruders, O Great Kheops?

Page 29 - Panel 2)
Marya: This statue must measure about fifteen metres high. Colossal for a construction.
Indy: Look at the foot of the statue. There?s a stone altar intended for the mummies when one would embalm them.

Page 29 - Panel 3)
Indy: Marya, look?There?s a river that flows at the foot of the altar!

Page 29 - Panel 4)
Indy: The River of Longevity!
Marya: Very curious?Very different from all the tombs discovered in the Valley of the Kings?Why this temple?

Page 29 - Panel 5)
Indy: I propose that we pass behind the statue. Look, there?s a passage!

Page 29 - Panel 6)
Indy: What do you think of it, Marya?

----

Page 30)
Page 30 - Panel 1)
Indy: Marya? Marya, where are you?

Page 30 - Panel 2)
Indy: Marya!

Page 30 - Panel 3)
Indy: Maybe Marya went up by there?Feminine curiosity?

----

Page 31)
Page 31 - Panel 1)
Indy: I?m in the head of the statue!

Page 31 - Panel 2)
Indy: Curious. Why these metallic plates?And this stairway?

Page 31 - Panel 3)
Indy: What is there behind?

Page 31 - Panel 4)
Indy: It must weigh a ton! Impossible to move it!

Page 31 - Panel 5)
Indy: A secret mechanism must open this door! Ah!

----

Page 32)
Page 32 - Panel 1)
Indy: Let?s be wary of traps prepared by the priests!

Page 32 - Panel 2)
Indy: Here, the true entry that Mortimer was to look for!

Page 32 - Panel 3)
Marya: Indy! Assistance!

Page 32 - Panel 4)
Marya: Indy! Help!

indyclone25

pg. 33
panel one
marya -- indy! to the assistance
panel 3
indy-----bloody hell! (didnt really need to translate that and when did indy become british?)
panel 5
Indy -- here I am in excellent company!

Stoo

Page 33 + Page 34

Page 33)
Page 33 - Panel 1)
Indy: Indy! Help…

Page 33 - Panel 2)
Indy: Bloody Hell!

Page 33 - Panel 5)
Indy: Here I am in excellent company!

----

Page 34)
Page 34 - Panel 1)
Indy: Empty. Who slept here?

Page 34 - Panel 2)
Indy: Kheops! The other sarcophagus can only be that of Khephren, who reigned for fifty-six years…
That would confirm that the people, irritated by unbearable work to which they were condemned in the summer
and other violences of these two kings, had sworn that they would draw their bodies from the pyramids,
that they had built to serve as burial chambers, and pull them to pieces.

Page 34 - Panel 3)
Indy: The two kings, who were informed before their death, recommended to their friends
to deposit their bodies in sure and secret places…And here I am in front of their sarchopagi…

Page 34 - Panel 4)
Indy: There should be an exit.