Secret de la Pyramide

Stoo

Page 42 + Page 43

Yes, I know Indyclone25 had a try at most of the final pages but will post mine anyways.
(I'm guessing the last page was too much of a chore, eh?);)

Page 42)
Page 42 - Panel 1)
Egyptian Priest: Osiris?Osiris! Help me against this impure!

Page 42 - Panel 2)
Egyptian Priest: Damn!

Page 42 - Panel 3)
Von Kraft: Professor Jones...

Page 42 - Panel 4)
Marya: Indy?You?That madman was going to kill me!
Indy: You?re alright?

Page 42 - Panel 5)
Egyptian Priest: Who are you to dare such a sacrilege?

Page 42 - Panel 7)
Von Kraft: Jones...This man is none other than...

----

Page 43)
Page 43 - Panel 1)
Von Kraft: Professor Mortimer! Jones, what was the professor?s secret?

Page 43 - Panel 2)
Von Kraft: Talk...What did Mortimer want to do with this mummy? Kheops? He became insane?
Indy: You?re not going to believe me?He wanted to return life to it, thanks to this river, named the
River of Longevity by the ancients?Poor guy, he became insane?He took himself for Ka or Khephren?
He was adorned in clothes of the Pharaoh?

Page 43 - Panel 3)
Von Kraft: I don?t believe you. Where are the treasures!
Indy: Calm down, Von Kraft. It?s the plain truth...but...

DIrishB

Awesome! Great job guys.

I'll start posting scans of the second volume when it arrives. I ordered it from France (Amazon.fr) along with the first volume, which arrived very quickly surprisingly. Unfortunately, according to the shipping estimate, it could take up till the end of August or beginning of September to arrive. Hopefully it won't, but it could. Anyway, just wanted to give you guys heads up.

DIrishB

Rob Dangerous said:
Only have the Shell reprints of those, too. Well, I'll see what I can do...

No problem, just thought I'd check. After all, you've been a treasure trove of rare Indy material so far. :)

indyclone25

Stoo said:
Yes, I know Indyclone25 had a try at most of the final pages but will post mine anyways.
(I'm guessing the last page was too much of a chore, eh?);)

yeah you better believe it --lol

Stoo

Page 44 - Page 46 (THE END)

Page 44)
Page 44 - Panel 1)
Marya: Help...Jones...Help me!

Page 44 - Panel 2)
Indy: Let?s flee. The temple is going to collapse! The altar was a trap by the priests! The stairs! Quick!
Marya: Von Kraft?He?s going to drown!

Page 44 - Panel 3)
Indy: Hang on!

Page 44 - Panel 4)
Von Kraft: Aaahhhh!

Page 44 - Panel 5)
Indy: The stairway?Everything is going to collapse!

----

Page 45)
Page 45 - Panel 1)
No Dialogue

----

Page 46)
Page 46 - Panel 2)
Indy: Quick?Follow me!

Page 46 - Panel 4)
Indy: The ancients foresaw everything. Nothing can escape its destiny. Ra, the sun, put to end the dreams
of the two pharaohs who wanted to escape from the vengeance of their people, to be reborn one day.
Maybe they will have rediscovered life thanks to Professor Mortimer?

Page 46 - Panel 5)
Indy: The pyramid?s text tells us: ?I walked on your rays like on a slope of light to rise in front of Ra?
The sky made solid the rays of the sun, that I can finally elevate to the eyes of Ra. One builds a stairway
towards the sky so that I can finally rejoin the sky by these means?? Kheops. Alas, all is lost!

FIN

DIrishB said:
Awesome! Great job guys.
Thanks. It was fun to do! Again, BIG THANKS to Indyclone25 for scanning & posting them.:hat:
Kind of sad that's it's over. :( sniff

DIrishB said:
I'll start posting scans of the second volume when it arrives. I ordered it from France (Amazon.fr) along with the first volume, which arrived very quickly surprisingly. Unfortunately, according to the shipping estimate, it could take up till the end of August or beginning of September to arrive. Hopefully it won't, but it could. Anyway, just wanted to give you guys heads up.
I love tales of colonial India so I'm totally stoked for this! Will gladly provide translations!!!
(By the way, I noticed that another Ravener seems to have the all the original, hardcover editions.
In the event your Shell re-issue will be missing the 1st few pages, perhaps they could provide scans?
I won't mention any names but it starts with a "wubble U"...as a 1957 Indy would say.);)

DIrishB

Stoo said:
Thanks. It was fun to do! Again, BIG THANKS to Indyclone25 for scanning & posting them.:hat:
Kind of sad that's it's over. :( sniff

Don't worry, I'll have that second volume for you to translate soon.

I love tales of colonial India so I'm totally stoked for this! Will gladly provide translations!!!
(By the way, I noticed that another Ravener seems to have the all the original, hardcover editions.
In the event your Shell re-issue will be missing the 1st few pages, perhaps they could provide scans?
I won't mention any names but it starts with a "wubble U"...as a 1957 Indy would say.);)

As soon as it arrives I'll start posting scans. Once I do, just PM them and ask if there are any missing pages from the beginning. I'm sure they'll help us out. Either way, its good news another member here has the original volumes. :D

Might I add how awesome it is that we have various members contributing these scans of rare Indy tales a lot of us never would've gotten a chance to read (especially without those translations!). Thanks very much, everybody!

And indyclone25, one more question. Could you type out the text (the setting/year it takes place) thats on the top left corner of the first story page? Most of it got cut off in the scan. No big deal, I just wanted to see what it says since the text on my Shell reprint version reflects the story opening on the fourth page, different setting, etc.

I've got an idea brewing too, of adding the translations into the comic pages themselves. I'm thinking of saving the images and opening them all in Paint, and just white out the French and used the Text feature to type in the English text. Then I can post those and we'll have a fully English-translated version of the comic. What do you think?

Last edited:

DIrishB

Here's an examle of what I mean:

IndianaJonesandtheSecretofthePyrami.jpg

Johnny Jones

Indeed, very awesome! For some of the pages later on, though, especially the ones where Indy describes all that technical stuff to Marya, you should probably take a few liberties and translate the ideas, not just word for word... make it a bit less "clunky..." great work though, and not saying these ones are clunky! Sorry to be a wet blanket.

Stoo

DIrishB said:
Might I add how awesome it is that we have various members contributing these scans of rare Indy tales a lot of us never would've gotten a chance to read (especially without those translations!). Thanks very much, everybody!
You said it. This is one of the coolest "team efforts" I've seen on this board and it's great to be involved.
I'm extremely thankful to Indyclone for putting the pages up, so the translations are my return favour!
The RPG scans are excellent, too.;)

DIrishB said:
And indyclone25, one more question. Could you type out the text (the setting/year it takes place) thats on the top left corner of the first story page? Most of it got cut off in the scan. No big deal, I just wanted to see what it says since the text on my Shell reprint version reflects the story opening on the fourth page, different setting, etc.
Yes, what is the year? It looks like 1937, La Vallée des Rois (Valley of the Kings)

Johnny Jones said:
Indeed, very awesome! For some of the pages later on, though, especially the ones where Indy describes all that technical stuff to Marya, you should probably take a few liberties and translate the ideas, not just word for word... make it a bit less "clunky..." great work though, and not saying these ones are clunky! Sorry to be a wet blanket.
First off, welcome to The Raven, Johnny Jones.:hat: Thanks for the feedback. Re-reading it now,
a lot of the technical stuff is really clunky so it definitely needs to be cleaned up. Sorry!:p
(I was basically just hashing it out & "getting it down on paper", so to speak.)

Some terminology needed to be investigated. Ex. "Gros-Jean comme devant" (Big John like before)
which essentially means "back to square one" or something similar. Anyone else have a better phrase?
(Not one of the clunky lines...I'm just curious!)

DIrishB said:
I've got an idea brewing too, of adding the translations into the comic pages themselves. I'm thinking of saving the images and opening them all in Paint, and just white out the French and used the Text feature to type in the English text. Then I can post those and we'll have a fully English-translated version of the comic. What do you think?
We're on the same wavelength, DIrishB. This is a brilliant idea and one we should have done from the start!
Let's take it to the next level and do all 3 of them full-on pro. Here's part of my version:

SecretPyramide_00_Cover_EngFr_2.jpg

SecretPyramide_01_EngFr-1.jpg

Last edited:

DIrishB

Johnny Jones said:

I've actually started to do that. If you compare it to Stoo's original translations, there's more than a few cases where I tried to "Americanize" it, at least in terms of Indy's lines. You'll see what I mean, though I definitly encourage suggestions to make it sound more authentic (while still keeping the details and flow of the story in mind).

Stoo said:
Yes, what is the year? It looks like 1937, La Vallée des Rois (Valley of the Kings)

Not sure about the location, but in my Shell reprint version it says the year it takes place in is 1923, not 1937. Just a heads up, as I don't think they'd have changed the year. Besides, in the story itself, it mentions the discovery of Tut's tomb by Howard Carter as happening recently: in the real world it happened in late 1922, so it makes more sense that it occurs in 1923.

We're on the same wavelength, DIrishB. This is a brilliant idea and one we should have done from the start!
Let's take it to the next level and do all 3 of them full-on pro. Here's part of my version:

SecretPyramide_00_Cover_EngFr.jpg

SecretPyramide_01_EngFr.jpg

Wow...yours look so much better than mine. I'm only using Paint, so I'm limited in terms of my font choices and ability to clean it up once the work is done. Your translated cover page looks professional, whereas mine looks obviously mocked up. Anyway, do you have a special program that allows you to make the translation changes so seamlessly (seriously, those two translated scans look professional).

I'll keep doing the Paint translation pages (I'm about halfway now), but by all means keep doing whatever you did with the cover and first page. Thats about the closest we'll come to an offical, translated release. Seriously, Stoo, that looks great.

And thanks again to Indyclone for the scans in the first place!

indyclone25

no problem i think if you got something fun to share ---share it -- and i do appreciate all the help from you guys on translating and adding your extra touches to everything ---again thanks

DIrishB

indyclone25 said:
no problem i think if you got something fun to share ---share it -- and i do appreciate all the help from you guys on translating and adding your extra touches to everything ---again thanks

Completely agree. I'm trying to get the rest of those translated comic pages up, but am having problems with Photobucket.

Last edited:

DIrishB

Can anyone recommend a good photo hosting site. I've been using Photobucket, but am at my wits end with that piece of crap site. It keeps switching photos on me for no apparent reason. For instance, I try to upload Page 11...but for some reason, no matter what I do, it loads Page 7. I've gone back and checked the files to make sure I didn't save it incorrectly (accidentally saving Page 11 as Page 7, etc), but the files themselves are fine. For some reason in the upload process Photobucket it screwing it all up. Its done this with almost a quarter of the pages I've uploaded, and I'm just done with it. I'm seriously about to punch my computer screen. So, anyway, if someone else can host the translated versions, I'll email them to them. They're all bmp or jpg files, so should work ok with most photo programs. I'm more than halfway done translating, so should be done in the next day or so.

indyclone25

DIrishB said:
Can anyone recommend a good photo hosting site. I've been using Photobucket, but am at my wits end with that piece of crap site. It keeps switching photos on me for no apparent reason. For instance, I try to upload Page 11...but for some reason, no matter what I do, it loads Page 7. I've gone back and checked the files to make sure I didn't save it incorrectly (accidentally saving Page 11 as Page 7, etc), but the files themselves are fine. For some reason in the upload process Photobucket it screwing it all up. Its done this with almost a quarter of the pages I've uploaded, and I'm just done with it. I'm seriously about to punch my computer screen. So, anyway, if someone else can host the translated versions, I'll email them to them. They're all bmp or jpg files, so should work ok with most photo programs. I'm more than halfway done translating, so should be done in the next day or so.
yeah it did that to me ---only thing i can think of is that the page title might be the same ? and that what causes it

Johnny Jones

Stoo said:
First off, welcome to The Raven, Johnny Jones.:hat: Thanks for the feedback.
Thanks! I probably should have mentioned also that this really is an awesome project you guys are doing, and I certainly don't mean to complain. (y) I only wish I could do something more helpful. Maybe if you ever find a Spanish Indy comic...
I remember "back to square one" from the Tintin comics... hmm, better phrase... "back to the drawing board," maybe?

DIrishB

Hey, guys, I'm back from my week's "vacation". ;)

Anyway, I'll be posting the rest of the translated pages for Secret of the Pyramid over the next week or so.

On a related note, the second French comic volume, "Indiana Jones and the City of Lightning" arrived today in the mail. And the good news is, its the Bagheera original instead of the Shell reprint, so it has all 46 story pages, which means we won't miss out on any of the story.

Once I finish the translations for the first volume, I'll start posting those so Stoo can translate, and then I'll start adding the translations into the pages themselves like I did with the first volume.

And of course, once its all completed (including volume 3), I'll add it all into the Rare Tales Omnibus thread.