Young Indiana Jones young adult novels

AnnieJones

http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_young_adult_novels

I couldn't find any threads about the Young Indiana Jones young adult novels.Only threads that mention them.So I wanted to make a thread just for and about them.I was curious about these books,so I recently purchased books 1,9,and 10 of the Young Indiana Jones young adult novels(which were the only three I wanted)and I wanted to post about them.I just finished the first book,so if anyone here has any questions please feel free to ask.:hat:

Book 1:Young Indiana Jones and the Plantation Treasure
IndianaJonesAndThePlantationTreasure.jpg

Characters:

Mr. Ashley Ravenall-He had three sons and he was Lizzie's Grandfather.He was against slavery and encouraged his slaves to use last names,because they were born not having one.He died on September 13,1858.

Harlan Clegg-Was the overseer of the Ravenall Plantation and he stole from Mr. Ashley Ravenall.

Gideon Clegg-Is Harlan Clegg's son and is known as "the local king" in Clegg County,South Carolina.He also doesn't like the Ravenalls.
When Indy met him,in Spring of 1913,in South Carolina,Gideon was an old man,with grey hair,and spectacles.

Elizabeth "Lizzie" Ravenall-She was born in 1895 in South Carolina and she was named after her Grandmother,Mrs.Elizabeth Ravenall,the wife of Mr. Ashley Ravenall.
When Indy met her,in Spring of 1913,in Georgetown,Washington D.C.,Lizzie had a soft southern drawl,golden-blond hair,freckles across her nose and cheeks,and she had blue eyes.
Two of Lizzie's uncles died in the Civil War(before she was born)and her dad died a couple years after she was born.So he died,most likely,in 1897.After Lizzie's mother passed on,Lizzie sold her own and her mother's things then Lizzie attended,and finished,secretarial school.She then was in the prosses of moving,to Charleston,South Carolina,to get a job,when she found out that the whole time her,and her family,had her Grandfather's secret journal.

Dr. Zachary Walton-Was a Civil War historian who was from the northern part of America and helped Indy and Lizzie with her family mystery.
When Indy met him,in Spring of 1913,in Georgetown,Washington D.C.,he was tall,with stooped shoulders(like he was at a desk most of his life),had grey hair,a long face,and a large grey waxed handlebar mustache.

Garrick Lloyd(loosly based from William Lloyd Garrison http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Lloyd_Garrison )-Was an important leader of the antislavery movement and he edited The Voice of Freedom,which came out in the 1840s.
When Indy met him,in Spring of 1913,in Boston,Massachusetts,Garrick was an old man with thin,brittle skin,a bald head,and what few white hair he had was over his ears.

Harriet Robinson(loosly based from Harriet Tubman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet_Tubman )-She was born in 1843 and was the kitchen slave of Mr. Ashley Ravenall.She was someone that he trusted and he also taught Harriet how to read.
She went north,using the Underground Railroad,after Mr.Ashley died in September 13,1858.
Harriet was a brave woman.In Virginia,while staying with Quaker farmers,she used a large cast-iron skillet(or frying pan)on a slave-catcher who was after her.Apparently,she used her skillet to help herself as well as others.In Maryland,she cooked for the farmers she was staying with using the skillet.
She arrived in Boston in late 1858 and then she went back to the South to help free other slaves.She was what was known,for the Underground Railroad,as a conductor.She married a man that she helped to freedom with the last name of Stoneman.
During the Civil War,Harriet was a conductor and a spy.As a wandering cook and washerwoman,she cooked for slave-catchers and rebel soldiers,therefore,she easily got information from the other side.She even conducted in Tennessee and Kentucky.Once,right outside of Chattanooga,Tennessee,she was shot at and she used the skillet as a sheild.All she got was a bruise.
When Indy met her,in Spring of 1913,in New York,at 70 years old,she had white hair,a wrinkled face,and a bent back.But she still moved easily.She also had a Carolina drawl.

Locations in Order of the Storyline:
1.South Carolina,USA
2.Georgetown,Washington D.C.,USA
3.Leesburg,Virgina,USA
4.Potomac River(the south side of it),Virgina,USA
5.Georgetown Turnpike(somewhere between Virginia and Maryland,USA)
6.Maryland,USA
7.Wilmington,Delaware,USA
8.Christiana,Pennsylvania,USA
9.New York,USA
10.Boston,Massachusetts,USA
11.New York City,New York,USA
12.Greenwich Village,Manhattan,New York,USA
13.Bleeker Street,Manhattan,New York,USA

Other Information:

Indy 13 going on 14

Chapter 1
Page 13. - 1913
Page 14. - Springtime (3rd paragraph)
Page 15. - Lizzie's first appearance
Page 18. - Lizzie's age,about 18 (which makes her a little over 4 years older than Indy).

Mention of Snakes
Chapter 2 - Page 22
Chapter 4 - Page 46(snake joke)

Indy Using a Whip
Chapter 6 - Pages 64 and 65

Utah References
Chapter 1 - Page 13
Chapter 2 - Bottom of page 21 and continued on the top of page 22
Chapter 3 - Page 33

More,from the other 2 books I have,coming soon...

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I've read a few of the Young Indy novels. They have been hard to track down, especially since as far as I know, there are no reprints and have been out of print for years.

So the ones I've read were original prints and were borrowed from the library.

Needless to say, I did have the fortune of reading the first book. I thought it was quite good.

My personal favourite (written by Les Martin) is "Gypsy's Revenge". I also quite liked "Curse of the Ruby Cross."

If I remember correctly, Lizzie makes a retun in one of the later novels (I think it might have been Ruby Cross).

Plaristes

I finally completed my collection of these books, but I haven't had the chance to read them yet.
Note also that Plantation Treasure and The Princess of Peril were adapted into comic strips, and they are available here. (y)

AnnieJones

Violet Indy said:
I've read a few of the Young Indy novels. They have been hard to track down, especially since as far as I know, there are no reprints and have been out of print for years.

So the ones I've read were original prints and were borrowed from the library.
Yeah,I know what you mean.I had to buy mine off of the internet.
Violet Indy said:
If I remember correctly, Lizzie makes a retun in one of the later novels (I think it might have been Ruby Cross).
Yes,she comes back in Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Ruby Cross Book 8( http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Young_Indiana_Jones_and_the_Curse_of_the_Ruby_Cross )and again in Young Indiana Jones and the Mountain of Fire Book 13( http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Young_Indiana_Jones_and_the_Mountain_of_Fire ).

Oops!:eek: I misspelled loosely and process.Oh well,I didn't have time to spell check.

Last edited:

Lao_Che

AnnieJones said:
I was curious about these books,so I recently purchased books 1,9,and 10 of the Young Indiana Jones young adult novels(which were the only three I wanted)...

Any particular reason for the interest in just those three?

AnnieJones

Yeah,I guess you could say they were the only books that caught my attention.Having to do with more "recent" history instead of ancient history.
Although I love ancient history,I was more in the mood to read history that happened when Indy was a kid(something in history that he experienced)instead of Indy reading and learning about something that already happened(before he was born).

Last edited:

AnnieJones

What I thought was strange was the 1st book was 1913 and the last two I have,9 and 10,are 1912.
I am currently reading Young Indiana Jones and the Titanic Adventure.

Plaristes said:
I finally completed my collection of these books, but I haven't had the chance to read them yet.
Note also that Plantation Treasure and The Princess of Peril were adapted into comic strips, and they are available here. (y)
Do you mean these?I found them on the Young Telegraph - "Young Indiana Jones & The Mountains of Superstition" thread( http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=7842&highlight=young+indiana+jones+comic+strips ).
Rob Dangerous said:
The Indy Comics were part of the Young Telegraph's second run, which started in October 1990. The release days were all saturdays - I'm not sure if that means the Young Telegraph was part of saturday issues of the Daily Telegraph or part of the Sunday Telegraph.
Anyway, I got my hands on some of them:

No 1 (6 October 1990)
No 2 (13 October 1990)
No 9 (1 December 1990)
No 11 (15 December 1990)
No 14 (5 January 1991)
No 15 (12 January 1991)
No 23 (9 March 1991)
No 25 (23 March 1991)
No 26 (30 March 1991)
No 27 (6 April 1991)
No 29 (20 April 1991)

I also have issue 34 (25 May 1991) which does not include an Indy comic anymore.
Hope those infos help somebody to find the other issues - in that case, please keep me informed. Sadly my secret plan to persuade BrodyIsDead to sell me his issues does not seem to work ;)

Last edited:

Plaristes

AnnieJones said:
Do you mean these?I found them on the Young Telegraph - "Young Indiana Jones & The Mountains of Superstition" thread

Yep. The entire stories are available at BrodyIsDead's website.

Morning Bell

I have most of these books somewhere, although I can't seem to find out what happened to them. I read them quite a bit as a kid and they were pretty fun. They're worth getting if you're a big fan.:)

AnnieJones

Book 9:Young Indiana Jones and the Titanic Adventure
IndianaJonesAndTheTitanicAdventure.jpg

Characters:

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Conan_Doyle -Born May 22,1859,in Edinburgh,Scotland and he died July 7,1930,Crowborough,East Sussex,England,at the age of 71 from a heart attack.He was a physician and a writer.His most famous stories were the Sherlock Holmes stories.
Indy wrote a letter to him.In the letter,Indy wrote that Holmes was one of his biggest heroes.Doyle wrote back,inviting Indy to tea at Claridge's Hotel in London.The Meeting was set for Monday,April 8,1912,at 4:00 in the afternoon.Doyle,at the time,was almost 53 years old.When Indy met him,Doyle was a large man,with a mustache,and he had an ample stomach.Doyle told Indy that he loosely based the Sherlock Holmes character after Joseph Bell( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Bell ).

Madame Baclava-She was a Romanian fortune-teller that Doyle and Indy went to see after meeting each other on Monday,April 18,1912.She had a Romanian accent,was wearing a red dress,and she was about 200 pounds.She told Doyle that he would have years of success,more fame,more fortune,more honors,and someone he was close to,that he loved dearly,would die in a terrible war.She then told Indy that he would be on a big ship,a sea voyage,with terrible danger,death,and a gigantic catastrophe.

Osmond Gilbert(loosely based from the character Gilbert Osmond,who in a poem called The Portrait of a Lady,was after a woman for her money http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Portrait_of_a_Lady ).-On Wednesday April 10,1912,Indy and Helen met Osmond Gilbert on a plush first-class compartment on a boat train to the port of Southampton.Osmond was sharing their compartment when he met them.
He was wearing a suit from an exclusive Savile Row tailor,his hair and mustache were expertly barbered,and he had an upper-class accent.He told Indy and Helen that he was a Colonel of his majesty's Household Cavalry,but he had a bad fall and hurt his leg so he had to retire.
Osmond liked Miss Seymour for her money and even proposed to her.
Even though,he knew Indy liked being called Indiana,he called Indy "Junior" anyway.

Hawkins,who's real name was Helmut-Was one of the pursers on the Titanic.He was a short man with red hair and blue eyes.
Indy met him on Wednesday,April 10,1912,shortly after the Titanic set sail,then Hawkins introduced Indy to Thomas Andrews.

Thomas Andrewshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Andrews_(shipbuilder) -Was born February 7,1873,in Comber,County Down,Ireland,and died at the age of 39 on April 15,1912,in the sinking of the Titanic.He was the head designer of the Titanic.
When Indy met him,on Wednesday,April 10,1912,on the Titanic,shortly after the Titanic set sail,Andrews was clean shaven,wore a tweed suit,he had intense alive tireless eyes,and he was wearing a watch.
Indy met him and learned about the ship's "safety." Indy talked to him again on Sunday,April 14,1912,a short time before the Titanic sank.

Roger Sampson,who's real name was Karl-Indy met him on Wednesday,April 10,1912,at dinner on the Titanic.
Roger Sampson was bald and had a beard.He told Indy that he was an inspector at Scotland Yard and he was going to New York to give a lecture to the New York police about modern detective methods.

Professor Khan-Was a professor of Calcutta University(a scholar from India).He said he was a loyal British subject,was educated in England,was a man of science,and was also a patriot of India.
Indy met him on Wednesday,April 10,1912,after dinner on the Titanic.Khan wore dinner clothes,had dark skin,and had a turban on.Indy met up with him again on Sunday,April 14,1912,a short time before the Titanic sank.

Molly Kincaid-Was a stowaway on one of the Titanic's lifeboats.Indy met her on Wednesday,April 10,1912,after dinner on the Titanic.Molly had dark eyes,jet-black hair,with an Irish lilt,she was thin,and she was about six feet tall.
The story she gave Indy was that she was running away from London to America,because she came to London from Dublin and the people she was working for promised her a housekeeping job.Instead,she ended up doing the work of three people and then the lady of the house didn't pay her.The lady of the house went on to say Molly owed her money because Molly supposedly broke a vase.Both the lady and the master of the house said if she tried to leave they would accuse her of being a thief.So as a result Molly was going to America to be safe and start a new life.As it turns out,she was actually a suffragette who was also fighting for the freedom of Ireland and running from the police in London because she blew up a mailbox and shattered a store window.
Indy promised not to turn her in.He even helped her sneak down to the third class level on April 11,1912,after the Titanic picked up the Irish passengers(the Irish passengers were staying in third class).She had a friend,who was around her age,in third class named Charlie.Charlie's job down there was shoveling coal into huge boiler furnaces,along with other guys,to keep the giant screw propellers turning day and night.

Pat Leary-A friend of Molly's from the third class.He and Molly go back a long way.They worked together in the past for the freedom of Ireland.Leary was wanted in London and he used to work in the Belfast shipyard as one of the people who built the Titanic.
Indy met him on Sunday,April 14,1912,before the Titanic got hit by the iceberg.Leary was a big,bearded,and and spoke with a thick Irish brogue.

Otto Dietrich,not the same as this Otto Dietrich( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Dietrich )-A German passenger who was an opera singer and was six and a half feet tall.
Starting on the morning of April 12,1912,Indy followed him around on the Titanic.Indy suspected him of wanting to sink the Titanic.

Captain Edward John Smith( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_J._Smith )-Was the Captain of the Titanic.He was born January 27,1850,and died April 15,1912.
Indy met Captain Smith,on the Titanic,on Sunday,April 14,1912,a short time before the Titanic sank.Captain Smith had a white beard and was wearing a ship's uniform.

Joseph Bruce Ismay( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Bruce_Ismay )-Was the Managing Director of the White Star Line(the company which owned the Titanic).Ismay was born December 12,1862,and died October 17,1937.He was considered a coward for not going down with the Titanic.
Indy met Ismay,on the Titanic,on Sunday,April 14,1912,a short time before the Titanic sank.Ismay had a mustache and was wearing a Savile Row suit.

1.Oxford,England
2.Paddington Station,London,England
3.Hyde Park,London,England
4.Mayfair,London,England
5.Claridge's Hotel,London,England
6.Knightsbridge,London,England
7.Harrods(department store),London,England
8.Hans Crescent,London,England
9.Waterloo station,London,England
10.Southampton,Hampshire,England
11.English Channel
12.Cherbourg(known today as Cherbourg-Octeville),Normandy,France
13.Queenstown(known today as Cobh),County Cork,Ireland
14.Atlantic Ocean

Other Information:

Indy 12 going on 13

Chapter 1
Page 5 - Monday,April 8,1912

Words
Chapter 16 - Page 107(German sentence - Jawohl mein Herr.Feel free to babel fish this.)
Chapter 18 - Page 126(Typo-the word soon doesn't need to be capitalized.)

YIJC References
Chapter 1 - Page 6(Talking about the world lecture tour and Miss Seymour being his former tutor.)

An Important Item
The Shalimar Diamond was considered a holy relic to the Asian Indians and was said to belong in a temple,where it was for a thousand years.If anyone were to take it,there would be a curse on them of a violent death.
Helen Seymour's distant cousin,Roger Seymour(whom she thought of as an uncle),brought back this diamond from India,where he made his fortune,and the diamond became part of Helen's new wealth.Roger died suddenly and the doctors weren't sure why.Roger's wife died,in India,before he did.Then Roger's only son died a week after Roger did.Police say a thief killed his son and escaped.The thief didn't get the Shalimar Diamond.
Helen Seymour was surprised to find out that she got the diamond and the fortune.She was the only blood relative to her cousin Roger.She began wearing it as a necklace,but only under her blouse.Back then it was considered wrong to wear diamonds in the daytime.

More,from the last book I have,coming soon...

Last edited:

AnnieJones

Book 10:Young Indiana Jones and the Lost Gold of Durango
IndianaJonesAndTheLostGoldOfDurango.jpg

Characters:

Horatio Lintell-He was a telegraph operator,he has been for fifteen years.He liked to chew tobacco.
Lintell didn't believe a word Indy said when Indy told him he was from New Jersey,that he used to travel around the world,and that he was at the telegraph office waiting for a telegram from the President of the United States.

Sheriff Wheeler-Was the sheriff of Durango.He was wearing grey pants,a grey shirt,he had grey hair,and a long scar across his face.
Indy met him when he had to take a telegram to him that said the Butler Brothers escaped and they were headed for Durango.

Jesse Walter Fewkes( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Walter_Fewkes )-Born in 1850 and died in 1930.He was an archaeologist who was also an old friend of Henry Jones Senior.
Fewkes was in Durango for three years and he was the reason Professor Jones and Indy went to Durango.
Fewkes excavated the Indian cliff dwellings,of an advanced civilization of Indians who were building cities more than eight hundred years prior,in the canyons outside of Durango for the government and he helped create the first national archaeological park.

Lonely "Jay" Wolf-When Jay was born,in 1896 or in 1897,the medicine man told his mother to name him White Sky,because there was a blizzard the night he was born.When he reached manhood(which would be about 12 or 13),he changed his name to Lonely Wolf because his father had died.He got the nickname "Jay" from his father.
Jay is Taos Pueblo Indian,on his mother's side,and he speaks Tiwa and English fluently.Jay was a little taller and about two or three years older than Indy.He wore tan cotton pants,a long,colorful shirt,cinched with a bright band of cloth for a belt,he had smooth dark hair,which was cut chin-length at the sides but left very long in the back,his hair was pulled tight under a wide cloth headband,and he wore a silver necklace that hung around his neck.
Indy met Jay while,Indy and his father were staying at The Strater Hotel,in Durango.Jay has been helping Jesse Walter Fewkes at the cliff dwellings in the canyons outside of Durango.He went to the The Strater Hotel to ask permission,from Jesse Walter Fewkes,if he could go to the Mesa Verde ruins and maybe stay a day or two.Jesse Walter Fewkes agreed only if Indy would go with him.Jay didn't like this idea but ended up taking Indy along with him anyway.Jay and Indy didn't get along at first either.Later,they became good friends and at the end of their adventure,Jay gave Indy a Tiwa name as a sign of friendship.The name,translated,is Stubborn West Wind.

Coyote with an Eagle in His Mouth-Was an old man who lived at the Spruce Tree House ruins.He said he was born there at the ruins,lived there his whole life,and would probably die there.In the building he was living in,there was a bedroll,a coffeepot,a skillet,a small fire,and he had a tin cup with the initials H.H. on the bottom.
He was old,thin,bony,had a pale face which was covered by a thick,grizzled beard that fell to his chest,he had white hair that stuck out uncombed,wearing dirty clothes of an old-time prospector,wool pants,stained long underwear under a flowing muslin shirt,a wide leather belt,a large silver belt buckle,and one bottom tooth.Coyote with an Eagle in His Mouth named his gun Terrible Cloud and he said he named his belt buckle Howard.
He spoke Tiwa,he said he was the last of the Anasazi Indians,and said he was 750 years old.Indy,at first,thought he was a little crazy,but then figured he was just making things up to try and hide his true identity.
Coyote with an Eagle in His Mouth said when he was born he was called Fly Like a Boulder,because he was a very fat baby.

Butler Brothers-Escaped from jail and then headed for Durango.Three years prior,the Butler Brothers robbed the bank,shot,and killed a man.The brothers names were J.D. and Floyd.It was J.D. who killed the man three years earlier.The man he killed was a Taos Pueblo Indian who was standing in the bank,in Durango,to sell things such as rugs,blankets,shirts,and necklaces.The Butler Brothers also killed Jay's father the same year.
The Butler Brothers wanted the gold Jay was looking for.
J.D. Butler-Was tall,lean,wearing dusty brown wool pants,a dusty buckskin shirt,and he had a lightly stubbled,yet dirty,face.
Floyd Butler-Had a gravelly voice,he was short,and heavy.Even though,they were different heights and weights,they looked related because they had each others likenesses.

1.Durango,Colorado,USA
2.Mesa Verde,Colorado,USA
3.Spruce Tree House,Mesa Verde,Colorado,USA
4.Cliff Palace,Mesa Verde,Colorado,USA

Other Information:

Indy is 13

Chapter 1 - Page 8
August

Chapter 1 - Page 12

Mention of Snakes
Chapter 6 - Page 59(About how his fear of snakes started in the circus car that was full of snakes.)
Chapter 6 - Page 60(Ate his first snake,because he was so hungry.)
Chapter 8 - Page 78(Indy got bit by a non-poisonous snake.)
Chapter 8 - Page 81(Ate his second snake.)
Chapter 12 - Page 114(snake joke)

YIJC References
Chapter 1 - Page 8(About being from New Jersey and traveling around the world.)
Chapter 14 - Page 131(About traveling around the world.)

Mother's Death Reference
Chapter 3 - Page 35(About his mother dying,a few months earlier,of scarlet fever.)

LC (Utah) References
Chapter 6 - Page 59(About how his fear of snakes started in the circus car that was full of snakes.)
Chapter 8 - Page 83(About how he got his hat a couple of months ago and about the Cross of Coronado.)

Last edited:

AnnieJones

I actually took notes as I was reading these books.I know,I know,I am such a dork.:rolleyes:
If you have any questions about these books,I will be more than happy to answer them.(y)

AnnieJones

Book 1:Young Indiana Jones and the Plantation Treasure came out in 1990.
Book 9:Young Indiana Jones and the Titanic Adventure came out in 1993.
Book 10:Young Indiana Jones and the Lost Gold of Durango came out in 1993.

What I thought was strange,was they brought the first book out chronologically backwards with books 9 and 10.
Springtime 1913-Book 1:Young Indiana Jones and the Plantation Treasure.
April 1912-Book 9:Young Indiana Jones and the Titanic Adventure.
August 1912-Book 10:Young Indiana Jones and the Lost Gold of Durango.