Indiana Jones and the Secrets of the Vatican

Jackson

Here is a very interesting little piece of info I found when surfing the net. Dont know how much truth there is in this but have a read.

his book Hammer-Kaatee states that at one time the Arma Christi, guarded by a Franciscan network calling itself the Ebionites, were transported twenty kilometres south from their hiding place at Notre Dame de Marceille at Limoux to Rennes-le-Château, only to be taken back to Limoux when Rahn got too close for comfort. The Arma Christi story is fascinating but there is no proof of any involvement by Otto Rahn. At the same time there is no way at present one can prove or disprove that Rahn might have taken time away from promoting Kreuzzug gegen den Gral to travel to Ghent under Himmler?s orders in the autumn of 1933.
In postscript, the Franciscan element within the Arma Christi story introduces us to a fascinating piece of Indiana Jones mythography. Film cognoscenti claim that at one time Spielberg and Lucas wanted to make ?Indiana Jones and the Vatican? but were prevented from doing it. One can only speculate upon the circumstances but if there is any truth to the claim it would be fascinating to unearth the details of the story, and to understand why the pair was deterred from turning it into the episode of their choice.

Hope you enjoyed.
www.spindlequest.com/treasureleads.html

Indy's brother

I would be very interested in knowing what plans GL and SS had for the Arma Christi (weapons of Christ). I can only speculate that the concept was trimmed down to the simply the Holy Grail and ended up as the events of LC. In fact, my knee-jerk reaction to this is that GL would mine the passion play for inspiration and have Indy use the artifacts in the third act to go through a stations of the cross type of scenario, with each of the Arma Christi helping him through, like the "Three devices of such lethal cunning". Or of course it coud simply be my familiarity with LC's plot influencing my mind to think this way. A Clash of The Titan's approach to Indy's adventure involving several objects imbued with supernatural powers helping him along his way also comes to mind. At any rate, the instruments of the Arma Christi are (per wiki) as follows:

The Cross on which Jesus was crucified (True Cross), either depicted alone or with the crosses of the two thieves.
The Crown of Thorns.
The pillar or column where Jesus was whipped in the Flagellation of Christ.
The whip(s), in Germany often birches, used for the 39 lashes.
The Holy Sponge set on a reed, with which gall and vinegar were offered to Jesus.
The Holy Lance with which a Roman soldier inflicted the final of the Five Wounds in his side.
The Nails, inflicting four wounds (hands and feet).
The Veil of Veronica
Other common ones are:
The reed which was placed in Jesus' hand as a sceptre in mockery.
The purple robe of mockery.
The Titulus Crucis, attached to the Cross. It may be inscribed in Latin (INRI, Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum), Greek, Hebrew, or some other language.
The Holy Grail, the chalice used by Jesus at The Last Supper, and which some traditions say Joseph of Arimathea used to catch his blood at the crucifixion.
The Seamless robe of Jesus, and the dice which the soldiers cast for it.
The rooster which crowed after Peter's third denial of Jesus.
The vessel used to hold the gall and vinegar.
The dice with which the soldiers gamed for Christ's robe
The ladder used for the Deposition (removing the body of Jesus from the cross for burial).
The hammer used to drive the nails into Jesus' hands and feet
The pincers used to remove the nails.
The vessel of myrrh, used to anoint the body of Jesus, either by Joseph of Arimathea or by the Myrrhbearers
The shroud used to wrap the body of Jesus before burial
The sun and moon, representing the eclipse which occurred during the Passion.
Thirty pieces of silver (or a money bag), the price of Judas' betrayal.
The hand which slapped Jesus' face.
The chains or cords which bound Jesus overnight in prison.
The lantern or torches used by the arresting soldiers at the time of the betrayal, as well as their swords and staves.
The sword used by Peter to cut off the ear of the High Priest's servant (sometimes a human ear is also represented).
Sometimes the heads of figures from the Passion are shown, including Judas, Caiaphas, or the man from the Mocking of Christ spitting in Christ's face

The interest that GL and SS would have in author author Karl Hammer-Kaatee's tale is obvious.....if in fact, the Arma and it's crazy history were specifically what they were interested in (I noticed the quote from the article didn't really specify that, just alluded to it). Government conspiracy, both CIA and Nazi's, a missing painting that supposedly contained a clue to the whereabouts of lost christian relics. I have no idea under the sun as to why they would be "prevented from doing it".

Here is a different link (scroll down to the bottom), with the same information that Jackson posted, along with a tiny blip above it suggesting a link between the Arma and Rennes-le-Château, a medieval church that inspired that Davinci Code stuff that's been kicked around quite heavily this last decade. Also the place has ties with grail lore, bringing me back once again to the thought that if there's any truth to the story of GL and SS mining this for inspiration, LC was probably the result. Anyone here that has "the complete making of" want to chime in on my little theory?

Montana Smith

According to Stephen Fry's show, QI, Vatican City has two open secrets:

1) It has the lowest age of consent in Europe: 12 years-old.

2) It has the highest per capita crime rate in the world: a population of 500 committing 600 crimes per annum.

I've been to Rennes-le-Château. Really odd little place, with the red devil Asmodeus standing in one corner, and all the strange paintings depicting bags of money.

The Vatican is good at keeping secrets.

otto rahn

Damn ! I missed out on that one. Now i'll have to break into the Vatican archives or something ! More hard work !;)

otto rahn

Montana Smith said:
According to Stephen Fry's show, QI, Vatican City has two open secrets:

1) It has the lowest age of consent in Europe: 12 years-old.

2) It has the highest per capita crime rate in the world: a population of 500 committing 600 crimes per annum.

I've been to Rennes-le-Château. Really odd little place, with the red devil Asmodeus standing in one corner, and all the strange paintings depicting bags of money.

The Vatican is good at keeping secrets.
And makes a great villain for Pulp RPG's too !