Indy novels

theedge

I'm planning on buying my first Indy novel today. Anybody have any suggestions as to which one I should get?

Webley

The books that I have are
the lost ark
unicorns legacy
interior world
white witch
dance of the giants
seven veils
genesis deluge
ghostly riders
tomb of terror
the curse of horror island
eye of the fates
and thay are all good i would suggest you start off whit the oldest book you can get and read tham in order.

Katarn07

I have read Dinosaur Eggs 3-4 years ago and found it confusing. Why? First I was only 11 or 12 years old, and second I realized it was a part of a series.

Well, having gone into "Indy Mode" for the past month or so, I stumbled across this site and read up on all the novelizations. Go to the section and I recommend reading them in order of how they have them ;) I just ordered a bunch from all of the libraries in the Chicago-land area so I may complete the series (I'm skipping White Witch and Sky Pirates due to all the bad reviews on Amazon)

jamie1974

I see that this post is pretty old but just in case someone wonders in on it and wants a list of Indy novels. Here is my list and I have read them all and love them!

I would start off buying (Or getting from the library) the Max McCoy books first.
They deal with Indy right before raiders of the lost ark.
They are in order....
Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone
Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs
Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth
Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx

Then get the Rob Macgregor books.
They deal with Indy in the 1920's.
They are in order...
Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi
Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants
Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils
Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge
Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy
Indiana Jones and the Interior World

then read the two novels by Martin Caidin (they are my least favorite)
They are in order...
Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates
Indiana Jones and the White Witch

Then you have the new novel by Steve Perry called
Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead
which deals with events right before KOTCS!
Hope that helps and get reading ! lol:whip:

indyclone25

Katarn07 said:
I have read Dinosaur Eggs 3-4 years ago and found it confusing. Why? First I was only 11 or 12 years old, and second I realized it was a part of a series.

Well, having gone into "Indy Mode" for the past month or so, I stumbled across this site and read up on all the novelizations. Go to the section and I recommend reading them in order of how they have them ;) I just ordered a bunch from all of the libraries in the Chicago-land area so I may complete the series (I'm skipping White Witch and Sky Pirates due to all the bad reviews on Amazon)

the white witch wasn't that bad but it just got tired of the intricate details that was written in the book , like describing the lush greenery in the forest. just call it lush greenery instead of describing every petal color and the type of berries found on a bush . once you got past that the story was very good .

fenris

So far, I've got almost all the novels except for White Witch.

As far as writers go, I really like Rob McGregor and Max McCoy... the others are... just there to complete the collection.

I really hated Army of the Dead - total crap! Too much focus on the back stories of the soldiers chasing Indy and Mac which had little to do with the whole plot. I understand the writer wanting to give depth to the characters, but what's the use of their depth if they're only gonna get swarmed by zombies at the climax of the novel?

jamie1974 said:
I see that this post is pretty old but just in case someone wonders in on it and wants a list of Indy novels. Here is my list and I have read them all and love them!

I would start off buying (Or getting from the library) the Max McCoy books first.
They deal with Indy right before raiders of the lost ark.
They are in order....
Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone
Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs
Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth
Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx

Then get the Rob Macgregor books.
They deal with Indy in the 1920's.
They are in order...
Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi
Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants
Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils
Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge
Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy
Indiana Jones and the Interior World

then read the two novels by Martin Caidin (they are my least favorite)
They are in order...
Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates
Indiana Jones and the White Witch

Then you have the new novel by Steve Perry called
Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead
which deals with events right before KOTCS!
Hope that helps and get reading ! lol:whip:

Thanks for the info, I've been wanting to start reading these books but wasnt sure where to start. Much appreciated!

IndyBr

I think it would be better if you started it in the right order...
-PEril at Delphi
-Dance of the Giants
-Seven Veils
-The Genesis Deluge
-Unicorn Legacy
-INterior World
-Sky Pirates
-The White Witch
-Philosopher's Stone
-Dinosaur Eggs
-Hollow Earth
-Secret of the Sphinx

There's also those two novels for younger audience, but they're pretty good:
-Pyramyd of the Sorcerer
-Mystery of MOunt Sinai

And then, the last adult novel:
-Army of the Dead

Nurhachi1991

I just got white witch in the mail today... im afraid ive read these horribly out of order I read Sphynx,hollow earth than dino eggs.... No wonder I dont understand the crystal skull sub plot

I thought these were seperate adventures like the movies

Separate adventures

Nurhachi1991 said:
I just got white witch in the mail today... im afraid ive read these horribly out of order I read Sphynx,hollow earth than dino eggs.... No wonder I dont understand the crystal skull sub plot

I thought these were seperate adventures like the movies

The main adventure is separate for the most part, but there are subplots that continue throughout each series that have to be read sequentially. I think this has been discussed before, but recap:

There is a romance plot in the MacGregor series (first three or four books). There is also some adventures with Indy's college roommate. I seem to recall that Genesis Deluge, Unicorn's Legacy, and Interior World tie together as well with some of the subplots.

Martin Caiden's can be read in either order

Max McCoy's should be read in order for the Crystal Skull subplot to make sense. Also I recently re-read Secret of the Sphinx and noticed it read a little better than the first time. I know there was a cut time travel bit, and the first time I read the book there were blatant left-overs that possibly got missed by editors (Indy's memory lapses and discussions with Marcus). I read a reprint and am curious if they re-edited the book or I just already knew they were there so I glossed over them.

Anyway, read the individual authors in order for the safest read.

Nurhachi1991

Yeah im gonna finish white witch than go back to the begining.

One thing I just dont get though Indy seems to just blindly accept magic and hocus pocus in the novels but in the movies he doesnt believe anything he always tries to argue it....

fenris

Nurhachi1991 said:
One thing I just dont get though Indy seems to just blindly accept magic and hocus pocus in the novels but in the movies he doesnt believe anything he always tries to argue it....

Maybe it's like some people who have seen ghosts (or something else), but still don't believe in them (kinda like me)... They try to rationalize their experience by thinking up of scientific ways to explain what they experienced (I was probably dreaming, was drunk or hallucinating... that's how I try to explain it).

Montana Smith

fenris said:
Maybe it's like some people who have seen ghosts (or something else), but still don't believe in them (kinda like me)... They try to rationalize their experience by thinking up of scientific ways to explain what they experienced (I was probably dreaming, was drunk or hallucinating... that's how I try to explain it).

Or more, that Indy does believe in magic, but not everything that appears to be magic. Like a true scientist, he doesn't believe until he's put it to the test, seen it for himself, or discounted all other possibilities. That is, an empiricist approach, as opposed to the rationalist approach, which would assign belief through reasonable possibility.

Raiders90

Montana Smith said:
Or more, that Indy does believe in magic, but not everything that appears to be magic. Like a true scientist, he doesn't believe until he's put it to the test, seen it for himself, or discounted all other possibilities. That is, an empiricist approach, as opposed to the rationalist approach, which would assign belief through reasonable possibility.

"As a scientist, I don't like to prejudice my experiment..."

Remember, Indy is a guy who, even after having defeated Dracula, witnessed the power of the Sankara Stones, and seen an entire unit of Germans disappear in a mysterious, unseen blast of heat, yet the Ark remained, and seen WITH HIS OWN EYES the indisputable healing power of the Grail, still calls the story of Akator a "bedtime story", the same way he dismisses the Grail even though he'd already experienced the Stones and the Ark.