Nuked Fridges

Dr.Jonesy

kongisking said:
Agreed! Let's take another gander at said shot, just for the heck of it, shall we?

pajibadieindianajonesdie-thumb-500x332-33691.jpg

Indeed. Damn these films kick ass.
;)

Brilliant shot.

Stoo

Daily Mail Reporter said:
When the eponymous hero stumbles on an eerie abandoned city in 2008 hit Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, it may seem like a classic piece of Hollywood exaggeration.

But in fact the unbelievable scene, showing a deserted ghost town which is the site of a nuclear bomb test, is remarkably true to life.
(Sarcastically): Gee, I never realized that dummy town, itself, was the "exaggerated" and "unbelievable" aspect of the scene.:rolleyes:

Anyway, great photos. Cool find, Smiffy!:hat:
Dr.Jonesy said:
The landing was necessary to give us that shot of Indy confronting the mushroom cloud which is one of the coolest shots in the entire series.
The WAY it landed was poorly executed. It was too harsh. Had it be done differently, it *could* have made Indy's survival a tiny bit more acceptable amongst the popcorn-munchers.;)

russds

Stoo said:
The WAY it landed was poorly executed. It was too harsh. Had it be done differently, it *could* have made Indy's survival a tiny bit more acceptable amongst the popcorn-munchers.;)

Agree. Actually I remember thinking they probably showed the fridge bounce around, land, and open with Indy coming out all in one shot, just to show off the technology and special effects in hopes to make it look real. Seems like the desire to show off technology was slightly higher than the desire to stay within believablity.

I do love that shot with the mushroom cloud and Indy silhouette.

kongisking

russds said:
I do love that shot with the mushroom cloud and Indy silhouette.

It screams iconic. Too bad the film is so poorly regarded that all of its merits, such as this incredible shot, are more or less going to be forgotten because all folks will talk about in the future is its flaws. Sigh... :(

russds

kongisking said:
It screams iconic. Too bad the film is so poorly regarded that all of its merits, such as this incredible shot, are more or less going to be forgotten because all folks will talk about in the future is its flaws. Sigh... :(

I think similar to ToD, it will grow on people, and in the future (could take 15+ years like it did with ToD) people will accept it, and start to enjoy it. I'm hoping anyway. :)

Dr.Jonesy

kongisking said:

It is one heck of an iconic shot. Spielberg is great with those. I remember quite a few reviews in 2008 that mentioned that this was one of the best moments of the film; signifying that Indy was not in the '30s anymore.

And I wouldn't worry too much. It was reviewed better than 'Temple' was, and even 'Crusade' was met with many mixed reviews. 'Kingdom' got good reviews from critics/most fans and really isn't poorly regarded by most, it just has some internet haters. Alot of films do. Doesn't make them 'poorly regarded'.
:hat:
Indy films do grow on people if they didn't initially like them anyway!

And hey, did you ever see the paintings Drew Struzan did of the mushroom cloud with Indy looking at it; I believe he did two of them. They were great.
:whip:

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr.Jonesy said:
And hey, did you ever see the paintings Drew Struzan did of the mushroom cloud with Indy looking at it; I believe he did two of them. They were great.

Link?

10 characters

Brooke Logan

I thought the whole nuclear town scene was actually one of the best and/or most interesting in that film. Maybe the fridge part was silly, but the rest of it was good. I thought that scene was chilling.

kongisking

Brooke Logan said:
I thought the whole nuclear town scene was actually one of the best and/or most interesting in that film. Maybe the fridge part was silly, but the rest of it was good. I thought that scene was chilling.

That was the only scene where I genuinely felt any sense of real peril for Indy. The rest of the action is too light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek to really be dangerous, but for this scene at least, you definitely have the impulse to bite your nails (a habit I kicked a long time ago...:rolleyes: ).

mattzilla2010

kongisking said:
That was the only scene where I genuinely felt any sense of real peril for Indy. The rest of the action is too light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek to really be dangerous...
Agreed 100%!

Brooke Logan

kongisking said:
That was the only scene where I genuinely felt any sense of real peril for Indy. The rest of the action is too light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek to really be dangerous, but for this scene at least, you definitely have the impulse to bite your nails (a habit I kicked a long time ago...:rolleyes: ).

I agree with this!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty cool lead suit.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6U0pH_PYlFU?feature=player_embedded#t=8m40s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"While the suit is made of this material, inside this layer is shredded lead, a resistance against atomic rays. Okay Richard, on your way to the air raid shelter."

HenryJunior

The scene is really cool, I think I would like it better if Indy just tucked himself into a bomb shelter that wasn't so close to the explosion. Then when it's over you can have Indy open the shelter and actually be standing amongst some the wreckage on the outskirts of town.

The nuclear silhouette is an interesting contrast to the sundown shot in Raiders though.

Paden

For some reason, when I think of the optimum way for the scene to play out, I think of something like this:

Jones, realizing where he is and what is about to happen, locates the refrigerator and climbs inside, muttering something along the lines of, "Sure hope this works."

The bomb goes off.

Cut to the refrigerator, which has been reduced to a smear of molten slag. In one of the melted lumps can be seen a shape which is vaguely suggestive of a fedora.

Cut to Marion Ravenwood and Mutt Williams seated together at a booth in a diner. Marion says, "Mutt, there's something I need to tell you about your father..."

;)

Mickiana

Paden said:
For some reason, when I think of the optimum way for the scene to play out, I think of something like this:

Jones, realizing where he is and what is about to happen, locates the refrigerator and climbs inside, muttering something along the lines of, "Sure hope this works."

The bomb goes off.

Cut to the refrigerator, which has been reduced to a smear of molten slag. In one of the melted lumps can be seen a shape which is vaguely suggestive of a fedora.

Cut to Marion Ravenwood and Mutt Williams seated together at a booth in a diner. Marion says, "Mutt, there's something I need to tell you about your father..."

;)

The fridge melted around IJ could have been more than reminiscent of Solo in the carbonite. You'd have your SW reference and Harrison would have his wish (???) of IJ being killed off. Unless the story has Marion freeing him from the molten lead slag only then to turn around and find Spalko and her team watching and laughing/sneering. Then cue some Hutt Palace music for extra bad taste. :rolleyes:

kongisking

Mickiana said:
The fridge melted around IJ could have been more than reminiscent of Solo in the carbonite. You'd have your SW reference and Harrison would have his wish (???) of IJ being killed off. Unless the story has Marion freeing him from the molten lead slag only then to turn around and find Spalko and her team watching and laughing/sneering. Then cue some Hutt Palace music for extra bad taste. :rolleyes:

"Here I am, out of it for a while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!" That should be his opening line in Indy 5...

Mickiana

kongisking said:
"Here I am, out of it for a while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!" That should be his opening line in Indy 5...

Heaven knows, Disney might be amenable to this! But what about IJ references in SW?!!! (Just for us IJ fans, of course.)