indiana jones animated fanfilm why not??

Indy's brother

Ska said:
*&%$ yeah!

That's awesome! haha

I agree! If the plane came in a little early, (raven still onscreen) it could be done. Hell, that could even be the factor that causes the plane to smoke sputter, and careen out of control. Good one Junior Jones!! The only reason not too would be that it's loading the shot with too much, but I don't think that it would. Maybe a nice (comic) little note or two on a xylophone (or something else "starry") might work for the starcrash.

I need a few light touches here and there to make that mummy bit fit in with the rest of our scenes, since it's easily the wackiest part. The comedic tone of it is lonely to point of problematic, but I really do want it in there.

Stoo, you have the final word on it, waddaya say?

Also, I'm finally done with my hectic schedule around here (I think, I hope) and can hunker down and get at this thing this week. Wish I had the time sooner, because it is time for me to dig in. Too late for me to do anything today, but I'll roll up my sleeves tomorrow evening and see how far I can get.

Indy's brother

Lance Quazar said:
Okay, wait, I just had one idea.

This has a very "Saturday Morning Cartoon" vibe, but maybe it's a little TOO silly -

Inside an Egyptian Tomb/Pyramid

Indy and a Sidekick (Shorty? Marion?) examine Hieroglyphics with a torch.

Rumble, rumble.

Ceiling begins to cave in.

Indy and Sidekick jump into a sarcophagus. Debris and stones fall.

Dust settles.

Sarcophagus opens.

Out pop's Indy's head. Then Sidekick's Head...

...then a MUMMY head!

Sidekick screams.

Maybe they both run away. (or is that too Scooby Doo?)

Then instead, Sidekick screams, Indy DECKS Mummy, head flies off...

I was thinking for the mummy to be alive-ish. heads pop out, mummy is a bit oblivious for a second until shorty screams, then the mummy turns his attention to them. His mouth turns downward in a horrrifying squawk, and Indy puts him down with one punch. The punch seals the deal for me in this scene, but Indy's got to have a reason to swing at the thing, or else it doesn't work right.

indyjones2131

Hm...

I like this scene but I have a couple questions/concerns:

1.) It seems like between this and the eel scene Indy is using his fists to solve problems and not his head, while we should show both of these aspects of his character. (unless we've decided to have him kick the latch on the boat gate to cause the thug to fall overboard.)

2.) Again, I like this scene, but I think it may be funnier if the mummy is not alive. But when it flops its head out, Indy thinks it is, is startled, and punches it, sending the head rolling, realizing his error, then giving a crooked smile to say "oops."

Also, on a separate note, do we have a shot of Indy swinging on his whip? I've got a few ideas of new takes on this we need it.

No Ticket

JuniorJones said:
Again, Just a bit of fun. Not the best of animations but it amused me as an idea.

object>

Wow I love this. Great idea haha. Good job.

Indy's brother said:
TitleCard_Idea_02b.jpg

(Having the map slowly scrolling from right to left would be a slick touch)

I also really love this artwork by Stoo. And the idea of the map scrolling from left to right/right to left.

I love that you guys are putting effort towards all this. Very incredible job so far. I hope to see this animated short realized. The most important things, IMO, are to make sure that the animation looks relatively smooth, whoever is doing the voices does at least a passable job (whoever does Indy is most important) and that there is a good story.

I have browsed through the entire thread, but I am about to leave, so I'm not sure what duties have been assigned/how much of a story is finished etc. I'd love to help anyway I can though. I'm not a great artist but I could help at least in coming up with some direction, story ideas, storyboards, etc. etc. etc. I'd love to help with whatever I could. I've been wanting to see something like this happen for a long time and I'm pleasantly surprised to see so much done already. Good job everybody.

Also love the AB style Indy.

Maybe I could help with animated storyboards? With the use of a keyboard I could possibly create original music too.

Last edited:

Stoo

JuniorJones said:
Again, Just a bit of fun. Not the best of animations but it amused me as an idea.

object>
HA HA! Love the star smash! Nice job on the pontoons, Junior.:hat: (I see you turned the plane to show Indy in the cockpit. It would be great to add OB-CPO to the fuselage and 2nd cockpit but they won't be very visible in the shot so it's not really worth the labour.) I've got a flightpath envisioned and can do quick a sketch so you can map it out. Yes?

@Indy's brother: The star smash is definitely in (but a little lower and to the left) and should be the cause of the engine malfunction. My thoughts exactly. It would look even better if they shattered like glass or disintegrated into tiny particles. With your raven, Ska's plane, my Ravenmount logo and Junior's star smash, this is shaping up to be a very, cool sequence!:D

@Doc Whiskey: You'll be able to contribute in a number of areas. Whatever you feel most comfortable with. (I like the scorpion, BTW.:)) Not sure which picture you're referring to but we're going with my design (with a tip o' the hat to Indyfan4ever). Have a look at the thread to see where we're going/where we are OR I/someone can give you a review to get you up to speed. (Don't know how closely you've been following the thread.) If After Effects is your thing, then that will be very valuable.

@indyjones2131: I don't know if the '30s version of "The Buccaneer" is out on DVD. I taped it from a late-night TV broadcast (and would make you a copy but it's not at my disposal right now). Forgot to mention that it was directed by Cecil B. DeMille! If anyone deserves to see this, it's you. We should call you Lafitte, Jr.!:p

@No Ticket: It's only a 1.5 minute introduction to an imaginary c.1982 Saturday morning cartoon (for now) so we don't really need an Indy voice at this point. Welcome aboard! I'll post a status review soon but, like you, gotta run now!

Nothing to show on my part. Been a Hell-filled week and it's not over...:mad:

Last edited:

DocWhiskey

Stoo said:
@Doc Whiskey: You'll be able to contribute in a number of areas. Whatever you feel most comfortable with. (I like the scorpion, BTW.:)) Not sure which picture you're referring to but we're going with my design (with a tip o' the hat to Indyfan4ever). Have a look at the thread to see where we're going/where we are OR I/someone can give you a review to get you up to speed. (Don't know how closely you've been following the thread.) If After Effects is your thing, then that will be very valuable.

Thank you, and I'm pretty much up to date, but I'll reread some of the thread just to make sure. I just started After Effects and I'm having a great time with the basics of course. I'm up for anything you give me. And if I have some ideas or sketches I hope you don't mind if I throw them up here either.

Lance Quazar

I'm just gonna weigh in on the mummy bit real quickly -

I think it's okay if it's one of the only funny moments. But I do think that kind of comic relief is appropriate for this project. We're trying to capture the flavor of Saturday Morning cartoons, yes? Albeit filtered through a much cooler Indy lens....

Because it's an action TV show and this is just an opening credit montage, I also don't think it's a problem to have lots of punching and fighting and action beats. The intent would be to show the audience how exciting the show is, I don't think it'll be possible to have any cerebral puzzles that you can get across in a clip of only a couple of seconds.

Maybe you could have one separate scene of Indy using some kind of stone key or something and putting it into a puzzle on a temple wall and then WHOOSH, a hidden door opens up. That would be a very quick, cool moment, but I doubt you could do much more than that.

I also think the mummy should be alive to keep the "stakes" high in the scene. It's a funny bit, but there should be a real element of danger, too. Having the mummy scream, snarl or try to grab the heroes is a solid suggestion.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
HA HA! Love the star smash! Nice job on the pontoons, Junior. (I see you turned the plane to show Indy in the cockpit. It would be great to add OB-CPO to the fuselage and 2nd cockpit but they won't be very visible in the shot so it's not really worth the labour.) I've got a flightpath envisioned and can do quick a sketch so you can map it out. Yes?

No problem.

Indy's brother

Lance Quazar said:
I'm just gonna weigh in on the mummy bit real quickly -

I think it's okay if it's one of the only funny moments. But I do think that kind of comic relief is appropriate for this project. We're trying to capture the flavor of Saturday Morning cartoons, yes? Albeit filtered through a much cooler Indy lens....

Well that's what I like about it. A little goofy and a little over the top compared to the rest of the ideas that are here,...but with the added violence of Indy punching the mummy so hard it knocks his head off it's pure Saturday morning.

Lance Quazar said:
Because it's an action TV show and this is just an opening credit montage, I also don't think it's a problem to have lots of punching and fighting and action beats.

Well yeah. Indy solves a lot of problems with punches, so no real need to pull any. I mean, it's Indiana Jones. He's a scrappy guy, and the sound of Indy dishing out punches and receiving them as well is a part of this franchise's legacy. Don't worry, I have no intention of turning him into Mike Tyson, though.

@ Indyfan4ever, that's great!

@2131 The eel bit involves Indy using an oar, not his fists (to get the lamp in the water). I've got a bit or two with the whip, but if you have any clever ideas, now's a great time to air them out, so whatcha got?

indyjones2131 said:
Again, I like this scene, but I think it may be funnier if the mummy is not alive. But when it flops its head out, Indy thinks it is, is startled, and punches it, sending the head rolling, realizing his error, then giving a crooked smile to say "oops."

I honestly think it could work either way, so I see your point. A dead mummy keeps it a little more in line with reality, but having the mummy alive makes it funnier (to me) in an "Arab Swordsman" kind of way. It's also kind of a dig at the mummy movies that Indy could just put him down with one punch, so I'm thinking he should smirk either way.

Indy's brother

Stoo, here's a thought that just keeps gnawing at me, so I'll toss it your way. The Indiana Jones title card you've got, I keep seeing a tiny white plane at the lead end of the red map line encircling his head. If you do scroll the map behind him in this shot, the plane moving too would look pretty great. What do you think?

Also, you have final say on things, so what's your take on the mummy bit? How would you like him delivered, dead or alive?

muttjones

Lance Quazar said:
Maybe you could have one separate scene of Indy using some kind of stone key or something and putting it into a puzzle on a temple wall and then WHOOSH, a hidden door opens up. That would be a very quick, cool moment, but I doubt you could do much more than that.

we could have time for a shot that pans up to show an elaborate hidden raiders map room-like model city* that comes from the ground after indy puts an ancient key in place (a quick CU for this). We need action and comedy but we also need things that amaze people and that are mysterious.

I also think there should be an underwater deep sea dive search for a sunken ship wreck. Could they do that in the 30s?

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amw1fAUlLjE Watch from 45 seconds in.

Indy's brother

Just finished putting every idea posted into one file that I can sift through. Time to start writing! I can see already that if we are going the full 1 & 1/2 minutes that I will need more scenes/ideas. I 'm sure I can come up with some more (I've got stuff undiscussed here), but the more options the better! Hit me with your best shots!!!

muttjones

Indy's brother said:
Just finished putting every idea posted into one file that I can sift through. Time to start writing! I can see already that if we are going the full 1 & 1/2 minutes that I will need more scenes/ideas. I 'm sure I can come up with some more (I've got stuff undiscussed here), but the more options the better! Hit me with your best shots!!!

A silhouetted shot of indy in the foreground leading a camel and a turbaned person on the camel (a girl perhaps) across the screen with the egyptian pyramids in the background. indy would not be very big.

Oh and how about we take a stab at george lucas and the monkey swinging. Have Indy swing on a vine in the jungle and have the vine break and him drop from shot. "Save the swinging for a whip George!"

Last edited:

indyjones2131

Yeah, to be clear I wasn't talking "cerebral puzzles". I was talking action scenes made richer by having interesting things happen on screen. Of course we should have Indy punching a couple guys, but action set pieces (something the Indy franchise is known for) are made from setup/payoff. Here's a situation. Here's how a guy (who isn't the Rambo type) gets out of it.

For example imagine if Indy just shot and punched to get out of EVERY situation instead of using the rock to clog the gun barrel in the LC tank chase, or cutting the gong in TOD to shield himself from the gunfire, etc. Indy is not the greatest fighter and therefore needs his wits to get out of situations.

So as for the eel scene, for storytelling purposes, using an oar or using fists is about the same thing. If we had an entire 30 minutes, then sure seeing Indy swinging an oar at a fella would be cool. We have just a few seconds to pack in as much interesting things for him to do. That's how you get people coming back for more - make it meaty. Rich. Also, this shows the audience a guy who's not TOO different from them, who just does what he can to survive.

The mummy scene is another story. This seems to exist for the purpose of comedic relief (in a dangerous situation) and I agree we need this. But I do have a few problems with the mummy being alive. First of all, KOTCS was too close to a Mummy (Brendan Fraser) Movie for me to ever want a live mummy anywhere near Indy. Sure it's a Saturday morning cartoon, but there are several ways to capture that without abandoning the spirit of the franchise. I think the whole scene works great! I love it. But we can keep the mummy dead while still making it seem to Indy and the audience that it has come to life. Imagine the mummy head flopping forward, his mouth flaps open, his head rolls to one side to look at Indy. Still dead, lifeless, but enough movement to make the audience and Indy THINK it MIGHT be alive. Then when you have your payoff of Indy punching it (almost a reaction to the shock) and finding out it was just dead all along, then it is even funnier.

And of course, it's always more entertaining to see Indy getting punched ALOT before he punches anyone.

Anyway, that's my two cents on the subject. I agree we don't have time to show Indy solving elaborate puzzles. I never once meant that. I'm saying BECAUSE of the limited time, we need to be sure to pack in as much depth as possible.

muttjones

indyjones2131 said:
So as for the eel scene, for storytelling purposes, using an oar or using fists is about the same thing. If we had an entire 30 minutes, then sure seeing Indy swinging an oar at a fella would be cool. We have just a few seconds to pack in as much interesting things for him to do. That's how you get people coming back for more - make it meaty. Rich. Also, this shows the audience a guy who's not TOO different from them, who just does what he can to survive.

all our ideas so far accumulate to no more than half of the 1:30 clip. there is still plenty of room to have indy using head as well as his fists.

EDIT: this is the first of a few score tests coming from me hopefully over this weekend. This one has turned quite smooth with the edits. It has a slow start and I don't know whether we would prefer a bigger start rather than this, but anyway here it is. Oh and it is the KOTCS Indy theme. I was able to cut it so it didn't drag out like you noticed Stoo.

http://rapidshare.com/files/225234454/KOTCS_indy_theme_slow_start.m4a.html

Last edited: