indiana jones animated fanfilm why not??

Indy's brother

Ska said:
I really LOVE "The Lost Adventures of..."

Good job, Indy's bro!

Thanks, Ska! If the engraved boulder idea plays, that might be a good spot for it. So it says, Indiana Jones, boulder crash, and BAM! "The Lost Adventures"

Lance Quazar

Indy's brother said:
How 'bout "Indiana Jones: The Lost Adventures"? As though the adventures themselves are the relics that Indy is chasing after?

Yeah, that's awesome.

Either way:

The Lost Adventures of Indiana Jones

OR

Indiana Jones: The Lost Adventures

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
I feel we now have a basis for Indy?s Brother to start full scripting these vignettes starting with the opening sequence.

I hope I speak for everyone else when I say that we trust Indy?s brother to collate all the idea?s and put it into script format without to much debate.

It looks like we made a decision to go with Stoo's Style, this means all character production designs will have to be filtered through him to keep on model.

Stoo, you?ll have to do some model sheets for head and bodies of characters so that the animators can look at how this will animate and what are the advantages and limitations. Also, if you do a couple of style sheets we can adapted it use as promotional material.

In the meantime, Holdeen/Stoo/Col.Dietrict/Ska and myself can work on animatics (animated storyboards) of each scene to get an idea of how scene will work before full animation. Kind of like what I did on my test with the Paramount Mountain scene.

At this stage it doesn?t have to on model, just a idea of how the vignettes will play. I suggest animators opted for a scene and get on with it.

Once we've got at least one scene, we agree to work on, I suggest we do the 5 to 10 sec tester but we'll need Indyfan to create a soundtrack using the full scripts and animatics as this will be an essential part of the full animation process.

Once we've done this we will know if were ready for the next stage.

I?m with ?The Lost Adventures of Indiana Jones? ? I?ve never liked the Indiana Jones prefix.

Stoo

Glad everyone is digging the title card. (Cue: The Carpenters..."We've only just begun...":p)

JuniorJones said:
Animation1.gif
This is nothing short of incredible in terms of what we will be able to accomplish. Excellent test, Junior! (Is that a stock plane model or did you build it yourself?) Your version is much more dramatic than my proposal. I love the way you show the belly of the plane and the camera angles but here are some roughs of what I had in mind. (I chose Jock's plane because it really did crash while filming):

Ravenmount_Idea01.jpg

So much to say...

@ Indy's brother and Lance re: title card:
Yes, the solid background was just a mock-up inspired by this. A stone wall or something else is what I was thinking of as well but wanted to finish it quickly enough to show. Remember, it's just a mock-up and not set in stone so I'll elaborate on it using both your suggestions. (And, yes, the red line will be animated around the circle. The red dot I have on there is just the pulsing head of the line and not the stop point.) A camera shake is a good idea, too. Great minds think alike.;)

Re: the title
I used the "New Adventures" as a working-title-only for 2 reasons. One was to distinguish it from Marvel's "Further Adventures of...", Dark Horse's "IJ Adventures" and the newly repackaged "Adventures of Young IJ". The other reason was an homage to the countless cartoons of the '70s/'80s that used "New Adventures" (Gilligan, etc.) That said, I really like the "Lost Adventures of..."! Nice one, bro'!(y)

@Junior re: models sheets
Yes, that was going to be my next step.

Re: Holdeen
Doesn't look like he's around. Someone PM this guy! Maybe we should recruit some animators via the IndyCast?:confused:

P.S. Indy's brother, we HAVE to do the aero-sleds!:gun:

Last edited:

Indy's brother

JuniorJones said:
I feel we now have a basis for Indy’s Brother to start full scripting these vignettes starting with the opening sequence.

I hope I speak for everyone else when I say that we trust Indy’s brother to collate all the idea’s and put it into script format without too much debate.

I would love to do that, but I would like to see a show of hands in agreement here before I assume the responsibility. Also, I'd like to make sure we have exhausted everyone's creative ideas and what else they would like to see before I formally start sifting through the various suggestions and scripting it.

In short, if those of you who have been following this want me to script it, and have something they are dying to see in this--now is the time to speak up!!!

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Junior Jones!

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
@ Indy's brother and Lance re: title card:
Yes, the solid background was just a mock-up inspired by this. A stone wall or something else is what I was thinking of as well but wanted to finish it quickly enough to show. Remember, it's just a mock-up and not set in stone so I'll elaborate on it using both your suggestions. (And, yes, the red line will be animated around the circle. The red dot I have on there is just the pulsing head of the line and not the stop point.) A camera shake is a good idea, too. Great minds think alike.;)

I figured as much, I just wanted to throw that out there before it got to late to say anything if I was wrong. I knew your awesome mock-up was a sneak peak, pre-visualization thing, and I think we are close to being on the same wavelength with this project. I have every confidence in you on this, and have been taking some cues from your posts to shape my ideas.

Stoo said:
Re: the title I used the "New Adventures" as a working-title-only for 2 reasons. One was to distinguish it from Marvel's "Further Adventures of...", Dark Horse's "IJ Adventures" and the newly repackaged "Adventures of Young IJ". The other reason was an homage to the countless cartoons of the '70s/'80s that used "New Adventures" (Gilligan, etc.) That said, I really like the "Lost Adventures of..."! Nice one, bro'!(y)

Thanks, it just hit me out of nowhere! I knew the title was unofficial so you could mock the thing up. That's why i felt it would be ok to suggest something else.

Stoo said:
P.S. Indy's brother, we HAVE to do the aero sleds!:gun:

I'm on it. I just want a good gimmick for it. Heck, maybe we could incorporate it into the flashlight transition I came up with earlier. Of course, if everyone likes that the way it is, I can do something else. I'll see what I can come up with. I'm really open for creative input, too.

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
I think we are close to being on the same wavelength with this project. I have every confidence in you on this, and have been taking some cues from your posts to shape my ideas.
Likewise.:cool:

Indy's brother said:
I'm on it. I just want a good gimmick for it. Heck, maybe we could incorporate it into the flashlight transition I came up with earlier. Of course, if everyone likes that the way it is, I can do something else. I'll see what I can come up with. I'm really open for creative input, too.
The flashlight/truck headlight transition is great so I'd leave it as is. The rest of the truck scene might be a tad lenghty though. Let's try and keep it under 1.5 minutes so when scripting the thing, it would be a good idea to mark the duration of each segment in seconds. (The way I'm envisioning this is: 1 scene = 1 to 3 shots max.)

What do y'all think of the Ravenmount logo? Yes? No?

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
The flashlight/truck headlight transition is great so I'd leave it as is.

Done. I don't know how I could trim it down much more, though. I envisioned it as pretty fast paced, with the entire truck bit lasting about 10 seconds, max. 3 shots:
1. Truck swerving to a profile view, punch, villain pulled into cab (5 sec)
2. Frontal shot of the truck as Indy dives out of the driver's side door (1-2 sec)
3. Tailights and the hat gag (3 sec)

Stoo said:
it would be a good idea to mark the duration of each segment in seconds. (The way I'm envisioning this is: 1 scene = 1 to 3 shots max.)

I've got no problem with that, as long as no one else has a problem with it. The reason being that technically speaking, this sort of stuff (duration and calling the shots/cuts) are more for a director to decide. I can include those types of notes more as suggestions in the script (assuming that everyone is ok with me penning it). If those suggestions are followed pretty closely, then I guess I would be partially directing as well? Please don't read any sarcasm or anything else into this, I'm just asking in earnest. I know this isn't some big hollywood production, so we don't have to follow the rules that closely (plus there is no money in it), I just don't want to step on anyone's toes either, you know? Is there someone officially directing?

Stoo said:
What do y'all think of the Ravenmount logo? Yes? No?

It looks cool, for sure. If we can get away with it, hell yeah, why not?

YouNeverKnow

Wow. I'm speechless. All of this work is incredible. I'd love to offer my talents, but sadly I don't think I'd have any that could be of use. Count on me to keep returning to this thread to offer kudos, constructive criticism, and, when the time comes, to send every damn person I know a link to the finished project. You guys are way too awesome!

Indy's brother

Electric eels!

EXT NIGHT: Riverboat. In the background, the sillouettes of Indy and some anonymous baddie are fighting on the back deck. Indy swings an oar at the guy, misses, and breaks flood lamp post in two. The lamp lands in the water in the foreground. Indy gets one in the gut for his mistake, but after doubling over, comes back up with an uppercut to the guy. At the same time these punches are being thrown, the lamp flickers and starts to glow as a school of electric eels quickly swim between the lamp and the boat. Once they pass, the lamp sinks, flickering faintly under the surface. (For you film nuts out there, that's foreshadowing for the next part)

The next shot is from the boat. Indy hits a guy with the oar, sending him into the drink. The second he hits the water, he is covered in electrical current (I keep seeing purple current for this and the eels?). His body freezes but twitches a little in agony as he promptly sinks. His gnarled electrocuted hand is the last we see of him as it disappears below the surface.

There's a lot going on here with the action, but it's three hits, eels, and a gruesome death all in two shots. It can be done in 10 seconds as well:

First oar swing, lamp in water: 2 sec.
Everything else till the next shot: 3-4 sec.
Entire second shot: 3-4 sec.

Since the majority of the first shot is silhouetted (if you guys like this one enough), it might be an easy one to start with for that 5-10 second tester that Junior Jones suggested in post #104 on the previous page of this thread.

Either way, let me know if this one is a yay or a nay.

Stoo, the more time I spend with it, I think I'm falling in love with your Ravenmount shots. I just had a crazy idea for it, too. If you think it's too much, it won't hurt my feelings. Given the logo title you came up with, how about the title and stars over something like this:

_JR31095-Wrong-Way-Raven.jpg

perched on a branch or rock in the foreground. It flies away to reveal the first one of these (still with the words and stars):

Ravenmount_Idea01.jpg

It would put a little more of our own personal stamp/spin on the tradition.

Last edited:

Ska

@ Stoo: Love the Ravenmount logo (and name). Your sketches are EXACTLY what I was thinking.

@ Indy's brother: Love the electric eel scene. And I'm really digging the raven idea leading to the Ravenmount mountain/plane intro.

indyjones2131

Indy's Brother,

I'm liking the Amazon eel scene a lot. It's a great set up and I've been hankering for an Indy river boat scene for a while.

One thing I'd like to suggest is a slightly different pay off in the end. So Indy is facing this brute everything goes as you said, but can lead into Indy and the brute looking over the side of the boat (maybe he has Indy in a head lock or something.) They see the eels then look at each other. Indy uses this second to throw a punch, but the brute swings the oar and knocks Indy over the side of the boat! The brute looks over the railing, proud of his victory, but doesn't realize its the railing gate that he's leaned over. Then we see Indy is actually holding on to the life saver on the side of the boat and, with a great ticked off face, kicks the latch to open the gate, dumping the brute into his high voltage grave.

Again, just a suggestion to show Indy's wits being used to win the fight and of course it subtly mirrors certain key scenes from the OT.

Great works guys!

Indy's brother

indyjones2131 said:
Indy's Brother,

I'm liking the Amazon eel scene a lot. It's a great set up and I've been hankering for an Indy river boat scene for a while.

One thing I'd like to suggest is a slightly different pay off in the end. So Indy is facing this brute everything goes as you said, but can lead into Indy and the brute looking over the side of the boat (maybe he has Indy in a head lock or something.) They see the eels then look at each other. Indy uses this second to throw a punch, but the brute swings the oar and knocks Indy over the side of the boat! The brute looks over the railing, proud of his victory, but doesn't realize its the railing gate that he's leaned over. Then we see Indy is actually holding on to the life saver on the side of the boat and, with a great ticked off face, kicks the latch to open the gate, dumping the brute into his high voltage grave.

Again, just a suggestion to show Indy's wits being used to win the fight and of course it subtly mirrors certain key scenes from the OT.

Great works guys!

Thank you indyjones 2131, aqnd thank you too, Ska. This is a shortened version of something I was working on for my "Fountain of Youth" script. I had to convince myself to set it free for this, but since this project might actually see the light of day, I figured it was a good idea to use it here.

IJ2131, I think that is a little better than what I came up with. To try and keep it as short as possible, Indy would get knocked off at the end of the first shot, then there would have to be a pov shot of the baddie with the oar over his head, an over the shoulder shot (villain pov) of indy kicking the gate open while the guy swings the oar downward, with the momentum sending him into the water. I was envisioning seeing his eye's open, and mouth agape as he sinks so that's a little problematic for me, since your way makes him dive head first or belly flop.

Also, I wrote my version to stay in keeping with Stoo's vision of short scenes with 1-3 cuts in each. What you suggested would look great of course, but could slow down the pacing, I think. As it would take at least one more shot for it to work. Plus, I would also want a tight shot of Indy's foot kicking the latch, too for your version. There's already so much going on in the 10 seconds I have, I'm not sure how much more I can cram in there without going too long on time. I could be wrong on this, of course. I think that Stoo has kind of the final word on this project, we'll see what he thinks. If there's a way to stay in format (and I agree with Stoo on the length and number of shots per vignette), then I say sure.

Last edited:

indyjones2131

Indy'sBrother, thanks. I do hope we can find a way to use the best bits from each of our scenes. Perhaps we can merge having the lantern foreshadow happen when Indy and the brute slam into the railing in the beginning when they notice the eels. The lamp could then serve to draw their attention to the eels in the first place. Then we get the shared look of "oh crap". The brute grabs the oar and knocks Indy over, and so on.

Indy's brother

indyjones2131 said:
Indy'sBrother, thanks. I do hope we can find a way to use the best bits from each of our scenes. Perhaps we can merge having the lantern foreshadow happen when Indy and the brute slam into the railing in the beginning when they notice the eels. The lamp could then serve to draw their attention to the eels in the first place. Then we get the shared look of "oh crap". The brute grabs the oar and knocks Indy over, and so on.

Again, I like that too, but it's adding yet another shot. At this point, it would definitely run to long to fit with the other scenes. The whole thing is only going to be 1 1/2 minutes in length, so we can't get too bogged down with one short sequence, or it will take up too much of the whole thing. No one sequence should take center stage, you know? I'm trying to follow the pacing of the Johnny Quest link that was posted earlier in this thread for inspiration. I really do like your ideas, and for a full length script, or even a half hour show, it would be a no-brainer to say yes. For time constraints, though, I don't want to add too much to it. For each one of these short snippets we gotta jump in, then jump right back out again, you know?

indyjones2131

Yeah, again, if we can find a way to do it fine. If not - its not a big deal. The balance of time vs setup/payoff is always tricky.

Indy's brother

indyjones2131 said:
Yeah, again, if we can find a way to do it fine. If not - its not a big deal. The balance of time vs setup/payoff is always tricky.

Well, i like the swinging gate thing, and I'd like to keep that in there. It helps Indy look less like a murderer. As a hero, it's better for him to be kind of blameless for the demise of his adversaries whenever possible (think Pat Roach vs propeller and rock crusher). hitting the guy into the gate section of the rail, which then gets knocked open unintentionally accomplishes this very nicely.

Also, I think the imagery of the guy getting shocked in the water would play a little better if he is surrounded by eels, too. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Stoo

Indy's bro' said:
The whole thing is only going to be 1 1/2 minutes in length, so we can't get too bogged down with one short sequence, or it will take up too much of the whole thing. No one sequence should take center stage, you know? I'm trying to follow the pacing of the Johnny Quest link that was posted earlier in this thread for inspiration. I really do like your ideas, and for a full length script, or even a half hour show, it would be a no-brainer to say yes. For time constraints, though, I don't want to add too much to it. For each one of these short snippets we gotta jump in, then jump right back out again, you know?
Precisely, and thanks for mentioning the Johnny Quest link because that pacing should be our model (without the character intros). A non-linear barrage of teasers from the best scenarios featuring, preferably, 1 or 2 shots of cool images (3 in a pinch) at 2-5 secs each. The opening mountain/plane shot will probably be the longest (no music - just the sound of the engine growing louder) and then...VROOM! SMASH! BOOM! BANG! UGNHH! AAAAH!:dead:WHACK! SCREECH! WOOSH! "INDY!" RAT-TAT-TAT!:gun:SWING! DODGE! PARRY! THRUST! WHIP!:whip:

This is just an example:
1) Indy swinging (2 secs.)
2) A snake or electric eel (2 secs.)
3) Truck going over edge exploding (5 secs.)
4) Indy pulling a woman by the arm away from danger. (3 secs.)
5) A villain pointing and shouting (3 secs.)/Men shooting (2 secs.)
6) Indy whacking the unbreakable bottle (3 secs.)
7) Indy submersed up to his eyballs in swamp water (5 secs.)
8) A gloomy, temple entrance (3 secs.)
9) An aero-sled zooming through the snow (2 secs.)
etc.

Ska said:
@ Stoo: Love the Ravenmount logo (and name). Your sketches are EXACTLY what I was thinking.
Cool.:cool: I think Indy's bro's idea with the raven flying away is WICKED! Sold. I'll add it to the storyboards when I get the chance.

All the riverboat/eel ideas are great and I would love to see them realised but before we go too far, that's a complicated scene for our 1st attempt so let's just choose a highlight from it. (I love riverboats and this one is right up my alley!(y)) Don't mean to put the kaibosh on those ideas because if we ever get to the point of expanding on the "Lost Adventures" they can definitely be mined. I guess, for now, let's just forget about the duration of each shot or we'll lose focus on keeping it tight.

Re: 5-10 Test footage
Let's keep it really simple. Since Junior already has a head-start on Indy taking a punch, I suggest that, OR a full-bodied Indy running. (We also have a head start on the mountain/plane but Dr. Jones is top priority.) Anyway, he can't really begin until I deliver the model sheets...

Ideally, from this point onwards, any new artwork/animation should be framed 640x480 at 100+dpi. Do you think that's too much, Junior? Whatever test stuff we produce now may eventually end up in the final product and it would be a waste of time to re-work something because of low rez. (*When posting images, we make them smaller.*)

@YouNeverKnow
Appreciate the comments. Once we get some full-colour footage actually done then maybe the thread title can be modified (and capitalized) since it will no longer be a question. It'll be reality.:)

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
Precisely, and thanks for mentioning the Johnny Quest link because that pacing should be our model (without the character intros). A non-linear barrage of teasers from the best scenarios featuring, preferably, 1 or 2 shots of cool images (3 in a pinch) at 2-5 secs each. The opening mountain/plane shot will probably be the longest (no music - just the sound of the engine growing louder) and then...VROOM! SMASH! BOOM! BANG! UGNHH! AAAAH!:dead:WHACK! SCREECH! WOOSH! "INDY!" RAT-TAT-TAT!:gun:SWING! DODGE! PARRY! THRUST! WHIP!:whip:

The Johnny Quest intro is a great model for a jumping off point, you know, but it shouldn't be the end all be all, either. There are several spots in it that last a while, though. The mechanical spider bit is 6 sec., The mummy is 8 sec., and the plane/character intro at the end is 34-35 sec. One or two scenes that go beyond 5 seconds wouldn't break this thing. If we are going to use JQ as our basic pattern, and skip the character intro thing, we could put one favorite action bit at the end that runs a little long. Not necessarily the full 35 seconds just to fill the void from our model, though. This is our own thing, after all. Ours would be even better by keeping the pace up to the end! just something a little more substantial to give the viewer not only something with a little meat on it, but also a chance to breathe. 1 1/2 minutes of nothing but 2-3 second cuts could come across a little schizophrenic. I'll keep writing stuff, and I will continue to keep these bits and pieces as short as possible, even more so. In the process of storyboarding and animating, you guys will be able to tell a little better what works and what doesn't. In editing, it will be even easier to see which parts to cut short for pacing.

Unrelated to all of that, I was hearing some sort of atonal music for the airplane approach, kind of like the opening of TOD.