I Also Met Karen Allen (Are You Bored Yet?)

DocWhiskey

After hearing about Indyclone and Indyfan's awesome story of meeting good 'ol Marion, I figured I'd share mine too. ;)

I went to the Hollywood Palms Theater on Friday for the screening of RotLA. I was very very excited. We showed up 2 hours earlier just in case there was a big line for an autograph.

There wasn't.

We were the only ones there.

And the theater WAS beautiful. So we explored.....

2edttp4.jpg

And Explored.....

25q7ogj.jpg

And Explored...

2cfphyq.jpg

And Explored.....

vytmd0.jpg

1zz3vgw.jpg

And then Karen came out at around 9:15! I squealed with joy!

2s8h0ko.jpg

The line was very very short and I was very happy to meet her.

a1o201.jpg

She was a super nice gal! She signed one of my Indy mags!

23ww402.jpg

I shook her hand and told her I was a big fan. She was genuinely kind. After that I talked to a few fans and went into the theater WHICH WAS AMAZING.

2lik0gj.jpg

4icx2q.jpg

1zqfziw.jpg

There was a great Q and A before the movie where I got to ask a few questions. About half the theater was full and the whole evening seemed very personal. It was great. She was very personable and told a great story how her and John Rhys Davies were stalled in the middle of the desert during filming and their non-english speaking driver seemed to disappear. So John solved this pulling out a bottle of Whiskey and they both sang show tunes on top of the car.

2e21qhy.jpg

I of course asked about Indy 5, which she didn't tell us anything we didn't already know. She said she hopes they film in 2011, because she'll be busy 2010.

After that we seen Raiders which, of course, was fantastic. By the time we left the theater was empty, so we took some more pictures.

2aes652.jpg

15eddl5.jpg

The Chair Karen sat in!

nd67q1.jpg

o7vcqu.jpg

2mgpf7t.jpg

3509tts.jpg

s1q3x4.jpg

bg8i10.jpg

Overall I had a wonderful time. Karen was such a sweet woman and the theater and screening was fantastic. A dream for an Indy fan Indeed!

Robyn

Thank you sooo much Doc for posting all of this! Awesome!!! Love the pics you took and I've never heard the story about the show tunes on top of the car! lol I'm so jealous of you right now Doc:whip:

QBComics

Doc, I am completely jealous of you. Glad you had a good time.

(The pointing pictures are great though (y) )

indyclone25

isnt that theater amazing?! and meeting her was amazing too---- we saw the movie in the mayan temple room and you saw it ith the egytian room ? hmmmmmmm maybe your print was better than mine? lol

DocWhiskey

Haha. The theater was amazing. They had the Raiders soundtrack playing when you walked in and everything. I will be going back for sure. And the print of Raiders skipped around a bit. It didn't ruin the experience, but it did skip here and there.

And, please, guys don't be jealous!

Now excuse me whilst I water my Karen Allen autograph.

Mitchellhallock said:
bet she doesn't meet many fans suffering from lockjaw

Mitch! You are enfuego today!

(by the way I finally found the Bruce Tour Calendar! It's from Europe 1999. Just got to get it copied and I'll send it along...although I am a bit concerned about giving a Marketing Mogul Springsteen's contacts!)

DocWhiskey

I COMPLETELY forgot to tell you guys this story!

It's a good one.

You know the part in RotLA where Marion's in The Raven and she has her hands at her temples, sees Indy's silhouette on the wall, throws down her arms and there's a shattering sound? I always thought she threw down shot glasses. Well apparently, Karen said there's a scene they cut where after she kicks out the locals from her bar, she goes outside and grabs 2 handfuls of snow and puts them on her temples to "sober up". So when she heard the shatter when she threw her hands down she was surprised. Snow doesn't shatter!

Just thought it was a cool insight I certainly never heard before.

Stoo

Yes, that's a very cool story and one I never knew about until just a few weeks ago. (I *think* it was in one of the K.Allen videos that MarionRavenChu posted from that DragonCon thing.)

Being a sucker for anything related to cut/deleted scenes, I think the addition of the shattering sound effect was a very creative solution to a tricky edit.