Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, Adamwankenobi. Cool name.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:27 AM   #27
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Fiddler
I just can't decide if it's best to have a forum on the website, or just keep this thread alive for now. Any comments on that? Anything else I should include? I was just thinking a few basic pages describing what we're doing, and how we will take any help that people are willing to give, as well as dividing things into different areas of research and development of the project. Then also maybe a blog of some sort on the front page for the latest news.
*snip*
Oh, one other thing, should we discuss the bit-torrent thing here, or through more private channels?
Creating a specific forum or website would be ideal for co-ordinating
the best available sources, while this thread could be used for updates
and/or recruiting more help. To start with, maybe we could just try
one or two choice episodes as a trial run? Maybe an Old Indy collection?
I don't know...With +33 hours of footage, to do every episode would
most likely take about a year to complete. Don't get me wrong (this is
one of those "dream projects"), I'm just trying to think in realistic terms.

Personally, I'd rather use a trading "tree" (with branches & leaves, etc.)
as a means of distribution rather than bit-torrent. Both avenues have
their pros & cons but I think it would be better to discuss this in private.

P.S. Fiddler, I have seen your Indy Fan Film and it's well worth watching.
The overall photography and editing of the fight scenes was very good and
the sabre gag was a nice laugh! (I'm thinking Energizer commercial, here...)
Those are your kids, I assume?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakis
I'll try to transfer both Prague and Florence episodes to digital format for you(when I'll find some time. Hopefuly, I'm aiming for Christmas). The Prague episode had no bookend. The Florence one I have has both of them (opening and closing).
Thanks for describing the packaging, Sakis. Your generous offer to transfer
both Prague & Florence is GREAT but hold off on that for now as it appears
there are better versions floating around. (No offence, mate).

Does anyone out there have the bookends for "Transylvania - January 1918"?
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:12 PM   #28
VP
Moderator Emeritus

I read somewhere that they never aired that episode in Finland.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:50 PM   #29
Canyon
IndyFan

Location: Originally from the UK but now living in Pennsylvania, USA!!!
Sorry if my reply is a little bit late.

I have the same video volumes that BrodyisDead has (being volumes 1, 2 and 6). I also have several of the Young Indy Chronicles which I taped from televison some time ago, all with the Old Indy bookends.

They are:

Paris, July 1908
Florence, Aug 1908
Benares, January 1910
Peaking, March 1910
Verdun 1916
Congo 1916
Germany, 1916
Princeton, Feburary 1916
Barcelona, May 1916
Somme, August 1916
Africa, November 1916
Congo 1917
Vienea, 1917
Petrograd, July 1917
Palestine, Beersheba, October 1917
Paris, May 1919
Chicago, April 1920
Chicago 1920 (The scandal of 1920)
Mystery of the Blues (1920)

It looks as if my DVD player is on its way out, so I am seriously considering buying a recordable DVD player in the near future.

The Fiddler, if I do this, do you want me to put these episodes onto DVD discs and send them to you?

Please let me know.
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:24 AM   #30
Sakis
TR.N Staff Member

No offence taken, but I think that the Transylvania episode didn't had a bookend.
Sakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:54 AM   #31
Junior Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakis
I think that the Transylvania episode didn't had a bookend.

It did. I've seen it. Old Indy scared some trick-or-treaters who came to his door.

I used to have this on video. It was a tape of a tape, the picture was grainy, and the sound was like the characters were underwater. But at least I've seen it.
Junior Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:15 PM   #32
the Fiddler
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Creating a specific forum or website would be ideal for co-ordinating the best available sources, while this thread could be used for updates and/or recruiting more help. To start with, maybe we could just try
one or two choice episodes as a trial run? Maybe an Old Indy collection?
I don't know...With +33 hours of footage, to do every episode would
most likely take about a year to complete. Don't get me wrong (this is
one of those "dream projects"), I'm just trying to think in realistic terms.
Personally, I'd rather use a trading "tree" ... rather than bit-torrent. Both avenues have their pros & cons but I think it would be better to discuss this in private
I completely agree. I've already setup the web address and the forums are partially setup. But it may be next week before I can actually put together a few pages so it's a useable site. Once I do, we'll start moving info over there, as well as figure out what episodes we want to start with.
I like the trading tree idea. We'll discuss it in private as you've said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
P.S. Fiddler, I have seen your Indy Fan Film and it's well worth watching. The overall photography and editing of the fight scenes was very good and the sabre gag was a nice laugh! Those are your kids, I assume?
Thanks for the compliments, we enjoyed making it. No, they're actually my younger brothers. Don't worry though, I can see where you'd be confused. I'm old enough to be their parent (about 18 years difference between me and the youngest), especially in today's world. We're actually probably going to try and film the rest of it (it was intended to be longer) when I go home for Christmas break--which starts Fri. for me. That's when I'll have time to finish setting up the website as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon
I have the same video volumes that BrodyisDead has (being volumes 1, 2 and 6). I also have several of the Young Indy Chronicles which I taped from televison some time ago, all with the Old Indy bookends.
Does this mean you have the official ones (like the purchased ones)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon
It looks as if my DVD player is on its way out, so I am seriously considering buying a recordable DVD player in the near future. The Fiddler, if I do this, do you want me to put these episodes onto DVD discs and send them to you?

Yeah, that would be great. Let me know when/if you get it, and we'll go from there.

I'm amazed and excited by the support and interest we're getting here. I had begun to beleive nobody would be interested. I'll try to have the website ready by this time next week. Thanks guys.
the Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:51 AM   #33
JK_Antwon
IndyFan

Awsome

well I just joined, but I would be interested in this idea as well! All my copies are really poor vhs. it was on before I had cable, so the qaulity is really staticy. I would love to see this show again, and am very excited to hear about this fan based reproduction idea! I will be sticking around to see what comes of it!
JK_Antwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 02:16 AM   #34
Altern
IndyFan

Thumbs up

I'm also interested !

I just have some VHS box set (french/english) and some video files from emule (low quality )

Any good DVD compilation would be better than that !

i haven't seen most of the episodes
Altern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:00 PM   #35
the Fiddler
IndyFan

It's great to see all this interest in this kind of a project. At the moment, the biggest problem seems to be a lack of good-quality coppies of the episodes. Well, that and my not getting up a website as I said I would. I'm just constantly busier that I think I'm going to be. Sorry I haven't gotten it up yet. Hopefully in the next week or so.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #36
the Fiddler
IndyFan

Alright! I know it's been six months, but I'm back. I just got really busy with school. Then did a study abroad tour through the college that took me to Mexico and central america for 5 weeks. I'm still interested in doing this guys, if some people are willing to work together on it.

I'm setting up the forums right now. You should be able to access and register on them very soon. If you're still interested in this project (and especially if you can contribute) please post here and tell me so, so I know if I should procede, or if interest has died and I shouldn't bother. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:13 PM   #37
VP
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah I'm still interested.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #38
Junior Jones
IndyFan

I plan on waiting to see what the official Young Indy DVD's look like.
If they turn out to be disappointing, I'll be much more interested in this project.
Junior Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:08 PM   #39
the Fiddler
IndyFan

The reason I want to do this is because the best info we have on the DVD release is that it will coincide with Indy 4. But at the very best, that's still 2 years away, and it may not ever happen. Besides does anyone really believe they'll re-release them as they were originally shown on TV and not as the re-edited 1&1/2 hr movies? I want to watch them as I did as a 12 year old. And I want my little Bro's to be able to enjoy them that way too.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #40
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Personally, I would like to see the ones with the bookends or at the very least, on each of the DVDs have the bookends in the Special Features section.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:58 AM   #41
the Fiddler
IndyFan

Looks like it may just be me and you VP. The forums are almost ready.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #42
JK_Antwon
IndyFan

Another site's attempts

I found a Young Indy fansite that had this topic,

http://www.innermind.com/youngindy/i...ct=ST;f=2;t=54

You may need to change the viewing settings to begining to read. There is a guy on there that has all the shows on DVD, but I have not contacted him yet. I wanted to pass on the info though.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:59 PM   #43
the Fiddler
IndyFan

Thanks for the info JK... I'm looking into it.

Also, I've all but got the forums setup for this. I know I keep saying this, but I also keep debating weather or not to go through with it. With other people having put them on DVD already, I'm just not sure if it's worth the time and effort. A few people here seem commited, but I just don't know what their resources are and if we can make it happen. I'll probably just try and contact this beofwulf guy and see what his are like, then put up the forums if they aren't a good option... and see who shows up to the forums.

My idea was to try and get the highest quality sources together for every original episode, and then capture them through something like the Canopus ADVC300 that would clean/improve the source further. Then color correct it if need be (probably at least a saturation bump, maybe some contrast). This all would result in fairly high-quality DVD's. My problem with other people's DVD's is it sounds like they've mostly just used a VCR DVD burner to transfer the tapes directly to DVD. This causes it to merely be the same quality as the VHS, but upsampled to a higher resolution. The process I would like to do would literally improve the quality of the source VHS's and result in much better picture on the final DVD's Sound could also be cleaned and enhanced as well.

Just as an example. I've been messing with those DivX ones that have been floating around. Here's an example of before & after screenshots with a little color correction: http://www.fiddlerstudios.net/misc/y...fore&after.jpg --the before shots are on the left, the after shots are on the right.

My problem is, I don't have any recorded copies of the original TV shows. So at least that much I would need to get from other people. Other help/resources would probably also be needed as well though.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:38 PM   #44
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
The other prob would be knowing how many episodes of the original that people have and perhaps there may have been some that never went to air. That is a fact here in Australia.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:28 AM   #45
VP
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah they never aired the Transylvania episode here, probably because they thought it was too scary.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:05 PM   #46
the Fiddler
IndyFan

True. But the idea would be to collect the best source we can for each episode. So if the best source for Transilvania is a US NTSC VHS, then we use that for that one. If the best source for say Verdun is a low-res DivX file, then we use that (hopefully we'd get better sources then this in each case). So the collection would be the top quality ones possible. I got a reply on that guy who's willing to trade coppies of the ones he's made. I think I'm going to do that and see what the quailty is like. Then we'll work from there.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:12 AM   #47
The_Minority
IndyFan

Last week I actually just traded for the original tv episodes from the poster you mentioned earlier! Very smooth transaction and very fast. Received them the within one week! And the quality is definetly great for ripped dvds. Mostly, the quality is VHS quality. The only really poor quality one is the Transylvania episode but it is still quite watchable, and the main reason I say it is poor is because it is from a third generation and it has Dutch subtitles. But, since recieving these I now have all 22 edited movies on DVD and all the original episodes on DVD in their entirety! Very cool! But just thought I'd tell you that guy is trustworthy and makes a good set!
The_Minority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:13 AM   #48
JK_Antwon
IndyFan

thats good to know he is reliable. When I tried to sign up it said there was some kind of error... I'm not sure why....
Old 09-27-2006, 02:38 AM   #49
JK_Antwon
IndyFan

I just found on ebay someone selling the first few volumes on VHS

Volumes 1-6
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&fsop=1&fsoo=1
Old 08-16-2007, 09:54 PM   #50
The_Minority
IndyFan

anyone still interested in obtaining the original episodes unaltered on dvd?
The_Minority is offline   Reply With Quote