Should Indy get more family in the next movie?

Raiders90

Kai Hagen said:
Having Indy's daughter in the film would be a good way to have a young actress in the movie.

Yeah, but how would it work without being hokey? We already did the "long lost child" thing in KOTCS.

Drones33

Raiders112390 said:
Yeah, but how would it work without being hokey? We already did the "long lost child" thing in KOTCS.

Isn't this something of a contradiction to what you say in the 'Indy should have had a daughter' thread? Something about how Indy having a daughter "would've made KOTCS better and more interesting" because it was a "sausage fest".

TheFedora

Maybe introduce a nephew character or something? That might be a way of more organically introducing more family members.

seasider

Kai Hagen said:
Having Indy's daughter in the film would be a good way to have a young actress in the movie.

There were drafts with Indy 4 where Indy did have a 13 year old daughter but Spielberg wasn't keen on the idea as he had already done the teenage daughter thing in The Lost World. Personally, I would've preferred the daughter idea for KOTCS but I don't think it would be a good idea for Indy 5.

Udvarnoky

A daughter would have been better than a son, and no child would have been better still. Every permutation was in play at some point during Indy4's development, but we didn't come up cherries on that particular slot machine.

Additional family members is exactly what this series doesn't need, although I wouldn't be opposed to a female sidekick whom Indy adopts as a daughter at the end, as a nod to the George Hall bookends. Bonus points if this is done as a way for Indy to fill the emotional gap left by Mutt's off-screen death.

Raiders90

Drones33 said:
Isn't this something of a contradiction to what you say in the 'Indy should have had a daughter' thread? Something about how Indy having a daughter "would've made KOTCS better and more interesting" because it was a "sausage fest".

....I think you lack reading comprehension skills. Indy would've been better served by having a daughter in KOTCS rather than a son. But now that that cat's out of the bag, since, you know, Shia was Indy's son in KOTCS, bringing in a second long-lost child in Indy 5 would seem kind of hokey. I hope that's simple enough for you to understand.

Finn

Staff member
While I agree that in general, long-lost relatives are a pretty clichéd plot device, I still wish that people would pay some notice to the fact that in Indy's case, the offspring type would be entirely justified. Consider:

He's not exactly a chaste hero. Knowing how nature works, it's actually pretty outlandish to not figure he's got a bastard or two hiding somewhere.

Okay, but if he does, why assume they're all the adventuring type, as well equipped to take on the danger as their dad, or at the very least hang in there? Well, first of all, screw realism. He lives in more of a caricatured world of adventure anyway, so anyone can be equipped to a degree.

But if you absolutely have to justify it, well... they've certainly got the genes. I mean, their moms are likely floozies Indy's come across over the course of his adventures, and they've survived those ordeals - some perhaps even thrived in them.

So yeah. Now, I can definitely hear the audience groaning if they just have one magically pop up and give some token line about mom being Willie Scott, blah blah blah... But if it's presented right, it could actually grow into a hilarious subversion of a character having his typical james bonding ways catching up with him.

Last edited:

seasider

Finn said:
So yeah. Now, I can definitely hear the audience groaning if they just have one magically pop up and give some token line about mom being Willie Scott, blah blah blah... But if it's presented right, it could actually grow into a hilarious subversion of a character having his typical james bonding ways catching up with him.

Years ago Spielberg joked about having a scene for Indy 4 where Indy is confronted by his ex-lovers which would've included Marion and Willie. I don't know that a scene like that would work in Indy 5 but I could see the humor in it if it fits with the rest of the movie.

Udvarnoky

seasider said:
Years ago Spielberg joked about having a scene for Indy 4 where Indy is confronted by his ex-lovers which would've included Marion and Willie. I don't know that a scene like that would work in Indy 5 but I could see the humor in it if it fits with the rest of the movie.

It wasn't just a joke - as I recall the "Saucer Men" draft had a scene where Indy's old flames show up to his wedding.