Vote on the 1957 MONTH of Indy/Marion's Marriage Day

What Month Do You Choose for the MONTH of Indy/Marion's Marriage?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Indyologist

Okay, Indyfans-- Here it is-- the first of the Official Poll to decide on the month/day of Indy and Marion's marriage! This is the first of two polls: One to decide on the month of the wedding (in 1957, NOT 1958). The poll will be open for a week so people have plenty of time to decide. I decided to let you, the Indyfans here at The Raven, invite Indyfans from other Indy boards/fan sites to join us in this vote if they wish. They are, of course, more than welcome here at The Raven! The photos of the wedding in KOTCS shows the wedding taking place in either spring or summer, NOT October thankyouverymuch-- obviously some idiot screwed the date up; it's the same date Indy & Mutt arrived in Peru! So anyways, I figured they could have probably gotten married in either May or June. May is in spring and June is in summer. So let's make Indiana Jones history and decide on the month of their wedding! Also, read about the Great Wedding Date Screwup here, if you're interested and would like some background: http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=24209&highlight=marriage

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Ahem...

My Vote!

Stoo said:
Hey, Indyologist, welcome back!:hat:

It's either:
1) Spring 1958 ("The Complete Making of..." book. Thanks to Moedred for pointing it out.)
2) 18 October 1957, 2 PM, St. Martin's Church, Bedford ("The Greatest Adventures of..." book)

We discussed it here in this thread on Page 5, posts 65-71. You'll also find a compliment waiting there for you:
Where do all Indy's girls go?

...and I posted some scans of the wedding invitation here:
The Greatest Adventures of Indiana Jones

... I think I should amend the poll.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Yeah, why not 1958?

I think there's sufficient reason to think that the bulk of the film takes place some months prior to the spring wedding: plans for football in the motorcycle chase, general weather reasons, the autumnal tone of the earlier passages. It's surely not winter in New England in the Marshall College scenes.

Indyologist

Attila the Professor said:
Yeah, why not 1958?

I think there's sufficient reason to think that the bulk of the film takes place some months prior to the spring wedding: plans for football in the motorcycle chase, general weather reasons, the autumnal tone of the earlier passages. It's surely not winter in New England in the Marshall College scenes.

Hm. Thanks for at least providing some evidence for your thinking as another Indyfan that mentioned 1958 provided no proof. I haven't seen KOTCS in quite a while ('cause I don't like it; it caused me have a "break up" with the Franchise for quite a while) and I didn't realize that the characters spoke about fall events. Could you post some quotes from KOTCS that prove this? Thanks in advance, Attila dear. After you (and others?) post your evidence, I guess this will require some further thought regarding the year of Indy and Marion's wedding. If you and/or others can convice me that their wedding was in 1958, don't worry, we won't have to vote on the year. I'll just make a general announcement. ~Indyologist

Indyologist

Pale Horse said:
My Vote!

... I think I should amend the poll.

Not sure why you want to do this, Horsey, but please read further posts regarding 1958 before you do so. Thanks.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Indyologist said:
Not sure why you want to do this, Horsey, but please read further posts regarding 1958 before you do so. Thanks.

I did the legwork, and followed the clues Stoo put forth earlier. I should CLOSE this thread...LOL

Stoo said:
...and, special for Violet, the wedding invitation. (What's funny is that the book also gives the same date for Indy & Mutt's departure for Peru!:rolleyes: )

GreatestAdventures_WeddingInvite.jpg

Found HERE

Marrying a Mr's., Dr. Jones?? How polygamist. I mean, he did grow up in early century Utah.

IAdventurer01

It's a springtime wedding. Sure early can be spring-like, but I associate June more with summertime. Therefore, MAY gets my vote!

Indyologist

IAdventurer01 said:
It's a springtime wedding. Sure early can be spring-like, but I associate June more with summertime. Therefore, MAY gets my vote!

Thanks for the support, my friend. Was the marriage in 1958? Then PROVE it to me!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
This is all a parlor game, but...

Pale Horse said:
I love how the posted invitation has the DATE ON IT!, but people still speculate.

Though, as Stoo notes, that's also the same date listed as the start of the journey, so something's obviously amiss.

Either the adventure begins on October 18, 1957 - which I suppose we have reason to doubt because it clearly looks like summer outside - or the wedding occurs on October 18, 1957, which we have at least some reason to doubt because everyone seems to be dressed for a spring wedding.

Let's say we discount the evidence of the intended football game scene that would have appeared in the motorcycle chase. What's left onscreen that can be counted as intentional time-setting, rather than a contingency of filming in New Haven whenever they did? Or what's a source with a more careful approach to canon than that book which indicates that the entire journey to and from South America occurs in 24 hours? The script? The novelization? On-screen props?

OldIndy2323

KOTCS takes place from late August til October of 1957. The wedding is October 18th 1957. The proof is found in the exterior setting, specifically the trees and weather. If you disregard the novels and books, the "official" dates come from the "Journals" released by LF to promote the blu-ray releases. In the levels of canon, stuff released via the movies or LF themselves trumps books and other sources

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
OldIndy2323 said:
The proof is found in the exterior setting, specifically the trees and weather.
Wearing white after Labor Day? The costume designer in the DVD bonus features said it was a spring wedding. Foliage suggests the same. I actually prefer each adventure not take up too much of the timeline, but am okay with a gap that's a blank slate. It seems there was or is some disagreement at Lucasfilm.

Raiders90

A gap from the adventure ending in Fall 1957 and the wedding happening in Spring 1958 would also help explain how Indy was exonerated by the government.

Stoo

Digging Into the Parlour Game...

Indyologist said:
...another Indyfan that mentioned 1958 provided no proof.
Real life got in the way (in a big way). Can't vote on the poll because those options just don't jive, babe. :( To prove that the wedding was much LATER, here's some additional food for thought.

AttilaTheProfessor said:
Let's say we discount the evidence of the intended football game scene that would have appeared in the motorcycle chase. What's left onscreen that can be counted as intentional time-setting, rather than a contingency of filming in New Haven whenever they did? Or what's a source with a more careful approach to canon than that book which indicates that the entire journey to and from South America occurs in 24 hours? The script? The novelization? On-screen props?
September 1957 Evidence for Connecticut Scenes:

Final Script Oct 2007: "A big banner tells us Homecoming is this Saturday." That would be September, right, folks? Despite what ended up onscreen, the college scenes were meant to be during the fall season.

Film: Jukebox plays, "Wake Up Little Susie" (Sept. 1957) in the background, followed later by the original version of, "Little Bitty Pretty One" by Bobby Day (1957). Apparently, this tune became a hit by the Thurston Harris version (Sept. 1957).

Film: "Vertigo" poster in background of diner scene. That movie came out in summer '58.

Prop: During the New Haven shoot, someone (Mitch Hallock / RaiderMitch?) posted a photo of a placard with the Marshall football schedule or something similar, clearly setting the movie during the fall. (If anybody knows what I'm talking about, please, speak up! It's IMPORTANT. :D)

OldIndy2323 said:
KOTCS takes place from late August til October of 1957. The wedding is October 18th 1957. The proof is found in the exterior setting, specifically the trees and weather. If you disregard the novels and books, the "official" dates come from the "Journals" released by LF to promote the blu-ray releases. In the levels of canon, stuff released via the movies or LF themselves trumps books and other sources
---
Here's the journal link:
http://apps.powster.com/indianajones/widget/
Hey, 2323, nice to see you chiming in! You mention trees as proof of October when they're the exact opposite. :confused: During the bike chase, the trees are fully green and summer-like but the wedding has blossoming, spring air written all over it.

Love that little journal and have never seen it before! Thanks so much for sharing the link! :hat: It's wonderful, however, I put little faith in its accuracy (that's a whole other discussion). Sticking to just the wedding, it doesn't trump the "Greatest Adventures" book because the date is the same (and published approx. 4 years afterward). Was that it's source material or what? An October wedding doesn't match the film's visuals so, certainly, the actual movie trumps this half-assed bullsh!t. (n)

Like so many other dates in officially released stuff (Young Indy DVDs, anyone?), they weren't thought about carefully enough or are just plain, dumb mistakes. Heck, there's even a glaring mistake in this little, "Skull" journal. (n) Let's hope Leland Chee is eavesdropping on this discussion!

Moedred said:
Wearing white after Labor Day?
Man, oh, man! FINALLY, someone else who knows the rules!!! (y)

What do we do about this? :confused: The poll should be:

A) 1957 October - a freaky-weather-month in IndyWorld.
B) 1958 Spring - the officially published date is incorrect.

JasonMa

Stoo said:
Final Script Oct 2007: "A big banner tells us Homecoming is this Saturday." That would be September, right, folks?
Could easily be October as well. Though in the 50's it probably hadn't spread into October as much as it has now.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Stoo said:
Prop: During the New Haven shoot, someone (Mitch Hallock / RaiderMitch?) posted a photo of a placard with the Marshall football schedule or something similar, clearly setting the movie during the fall. (If anybody knows what I'm talking about, please, speak up! It's IMPORTANT. :D)
The Indy 4 news archive set reports link to Mitch's MySpace. (It seems not all pictures are showing because as per ancient custom, MySpace's graphic design must be repellent. Maybe it's so kids can hide there from their parents on Facebook?)

full.jpg

With Indyologist's blessing I could expand the poll. A series of very similar poll threads would actually be frowned upon...

Indyologist

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! You Indyheads are finally chiming in and providing your thoughts/opinions/proof towards this important issue in Indiana Jones history! Personally, I'm leaning towards May or June 1958. I'm going to be a good "scientist," that is, "Indyologist" this weekend by taking another look at KOTCS, making my observations and taking some notes. I MAY be letting this current "1957" poll expire naturally on Sunday and re-post the poll with the options "May 1958" or "June 1958" on Monday and letting THAT run for a week. OR I may just go ahead and declare whatever month "wins" on Sunday and go ahead and announce that the actual year is 1958 and go with that. We'll see... stay tuned, Indyheads! Love you all for your awesome input!