Indiana Jones Sightings and Fluff News

EyesofMara

I found numerous Indy ads at my malls theater. Both posters are up, the new one is by the dark knight poster, but the real cool one was a stone wall they built that had the Indy KOTCS logo in the center.

Inbanana

xVendetta17x said:
I completely agree
I don't understand how people like him continue to make movies
I mean eacha nd everyone of his movies have been a critical and financial flop
Who would on God's green earth give him funding to make flop after flop
Through some kind of tax loophole, he and his investors actually make money if his movies his movies flop. Its brilliant. And its easy to get the rights to do a movies based off video games because nobody else wants to do them or take them seriously... which is ashame because there are a lot of games out there with better plots, characters, etc. then most of what Hollywood is churning out nowadays. I think that Far Cry, for instance, deserves a decent adaptation instead of what will inevitably be a big joke from Bowl... but I don't blame him for it, thats what we get when nobody else wants to do the project or take it seriously... and, its not like I have to watch it. Look at what happened to Halo, the studios didn't want to risk the money it would take to make a decent movie out of it because it was based on a video game... so it got scrapped.

xVendetta17x

Inbanana said:
Through some kind of tax loophole, he and his investors actually make money if his movies his movies flop. Its brilliant. And its easy to get the rights to do a movies based off video games because nobody else wants to do them or take them seriously... which is ashame because there are a lot of games out there with better plots, characters, etc. then most of what Hollywood is churning out nowadays. I think that Far Cry, for instance, deserves a decent adaptation instead of what will inevitably be a big joke from Bowl... but I don't blame him for it, thats what we get when nobody else wants to do the project or take it seriously... and, its not like I have to watch it. Look at what happened to Halo, the studios didn't want to risk the money it would take to make a decent movie out of it because it was based on a video game... so it got scrapped.
Kind of like 'The Producers' right?
The man's a butcher
Video Games and Movies are two media's that should be kept seperate

Inbanana

xVendetta17x said:
Video Games and Movies are two media's that should be kept seperate
Maybe, but I've played a lot of games (Doom comes to mind) and thought, "This would make a cool movie...", and then someone actually does it only to end up butchering it because they think that they can come up with a much better story than any "video game", or go out of their way to make it overly campy since they figure nobody will take it seriously anyway.

I hear that they're going to do a Return to Castle Wolfenstein movie, and there are parts of that game that remind me of Raiders... I think the idea could actually make a decent movie... but am I holding me breath? No.

xVendetta17x

They're each their own art form
It's like a paintings and songs
You can't paint a song and you can't sing a painting
You can only paint what the song is about, and you can sing about the painting
But neither gives the effect or the raw emotion like the other can, the seem skeletal and are missing something
Either way someone on either end of the spectrum is going to be unhappy about the adaption
There are certain elements in video games such as the action sequences that last for hours upon hours that would make a film seem hollow
And Movies turned into games have the same problem, they take out all the acting, all the drama that make the movie special and turn it into a bunch of sub-par graphics with just the action sequences

xVendetta17x said:
But neither gives the effect or the raw emotion like the other can, the seem skeletal and are missing something
Either way someone on either end of the spectrum is going to be unhappy about the adaption
There are certain elements in video games such as the action sequences that last for hours upon hours that would make a film seem hollow
And Movies turned into games have the same problem, they take out all the acting, all the drama that make the movie special and turn it into a bunch of sub-par graphics with just the action sequences

You really haven't any clue what you're on about.

No Ticket

I think movies and video games go together great... if you do it right. The problem is a lot of people get it wrong. Super Mario Bros. the movie anyone?

metalinvader

No Ticket said:
I think movies and video games go together great... if you do it right.

Such as....

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fWL6j0SvqV0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fWL6j0SvqV0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

commontone

No Ticket said:
I think movies and video games go together great... if you do it right. The problem is a lot of people get it wrong. Super Mario Bros. the movie anyone?

Yes, Super Mario Bros.
Wing Commander
Hitman
Doom
Double Dragon
In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale
Resident Evil
Mortal Kombat
Tomb Raider

These are all mediocre, to flat out terrible movies. EVERYONE gets it wrong. I will be amazed when a video game movie comes out that is actually very good. I typed those above, and then looked at a list of video game movies to check if I was missing anything. Nope, there really hasn't been a single good video game movie. Final Fantasy was pretty passable, but that's about as good as it gets.

I agree, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the concept inherently. Novels or graphic novels can be adapted really well, why not video games? A lot of them don't contain much in the way of character development or coherent plot, but that's where a movie could be a good thing. Take the good elements of the game (basically the premise) and try to be faithful but flesh it out.

Peter Jackson was in charge of a Halo adaptation, which could have been good. But now that project is dead. There's a Castlevania movie being made...THAT is one that could be wicked cool, but I'm willing to bet it will turn out to be some lame Underworld type movie.

Last edited:
xVendetta17x said:
Oh really?
And how do you think that?

Because film has many times before visualized song.

Case in point, Stan Brakhage.

Music has color, rhythm, tone, just like film. Paintings are the same. There are great artists who have explored these similarities. Brakhage and Maya Deren are just two such examples.

Just because your field of vision or exposure to various forms of art is pervaded or altogether lacking doesn't mean that art doesn't transcend different mediums. A song can be visualized. A video game can be adapted. Bad apples don't spoil the bunch.

xVendetta17x

ResidentAlien said:
Because film has many times before visualized song.

Case in point, Stan Brakhage.

Music has color, rhythm, tone, just like film. Paintings are the same. There are great artists who have explored these similarities. Brakhage and Maya Deren are just two such examples.

Just because your field of vision or exposure to various forms of art is pervaded or altogether lacking doesn't mean that art doesn't transcend different mediums. A song can be visualized. A video game can be adapted. Bad apples don't spoil the bunch.
But I believe you mistake adaption for inspiration
These froms of art can inspire each other by all means, but in case of adaption?
I have yet to see an adaption that has been worthy of praise, by my means.
Just because they can be adapted doesn't mean it's a good adaption
Forget the metaphor of artforms and let's look at the raw example
Super Mario, Hitman, Doom, Bloodrayne, all these movies have been frowned upon by both critics and fans
And though Resident Evil has been a successful franchise I have heard from fans of the games that it is a poor adaption.

xVendetta17x said:
But I believe you mistake adaption for inspiration
These froms of art can inspire each other by all means, but in case of adaption?
I have yet to see an adaption that has been worthy of praise, by my means.
Just because they can be adapted doesn't mean it's a good adaption
Forget the metaphor of artforms and let's look at the raw example
Super Mario, Hitman, Doom, Bloodrayne, all these movies have been frowned upon by both critics and fans
And though Resident Evil has been a successful franchise I have heard from fans of the games that it is a poor adaption.

I didn't mistake anything. I'm not talking inspiration. I'm talking a musical video. Not a music video. Hell, Brakhage's films don't even have audio. His images ARE the sound.

You don't understand because you don't have any real experience.

And adaptation is only a fancy way of saying "inspiration" anyway.

Adaptation is to rework and retool something to work in a different way. I'm not talking about that at all. Anything that can be done in song can be done in any other medium. They all share a common structure. They're all essentially the same, only topically different.

Ska

commontone said:
Yes, Super Mario Bros.
Wing Commander
Hitman
Doom
Double Dragon
Resident Evil
Mortal Kombat
Tomb Raider

These are all mediocre, to flat out terrible movies. EVERYONE gets it wrong. I will be amazed when a video game movie comes out that is actually very good. I typed those above, and then looked at a list of video game movies to check if I was missing anything. Nope, there really hasn't been a single good video game movie. Final Fantasy was pretty passable, but that's about as good as it gets.

I agree, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the concept inherently. Novels or graphic novels can be adapted really well, why not video games? A lot of them don't contain much in the way of character development or coherent plot, but that's where a movie could be a good thing. Take the good elements of the game (basically the premise) and try to be faithful but flesh it out.

Peter Jackson was in charge of a Halo adaptation, which could have been good. But now that project is dead. There's a Castlevania movie being made...THAT is one that could be wicked cool, but I'm willing to bet it will turn out to be some lame Underworld type movie.

Add Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within to the list.

There's a movie adaptation for Prince of Persia: Sands of Time in the works...I want to be excited for the movie (as the game was fantastic), but past video game-to-movie experiences tell me not to be.

ResidentAlien said:
xVendetta17x said:

You really haven't any clue what you're on about.

I was thinking the exact same thing... but my point is much simpler than yours, ResidentAlien... I admit I'm really ignorant, I have no idea what are you talking about when you say the names of "Stan Brakhage" or "Maya Deren"... my point stands simply in the fact that a painting and a song are WAY different. Maybe you can visualize the idea of a music by using the right images and viceversa (as you are saying), but you can't deny that images and sounds are extremely different concepts.
A song transmits you an emotion thanks to the power of music, while a painting can do the exact same thing, only thanks to the warmth of its colours and images, which are way different from a music. They are not the same, plain and simple. They can both stimulate your sensations, they can both communicate something to your mind, but they do it in VERY different ways.

Videogames and movies, instead, work in the very same way. They basically tell you a story by using a mixture of images and sounds, they introduce to you some characters and let you follow their dialogues. Videogames and movies are based on the exact same principle. The only difference is that in a videogame, you can theoretically "interact" with the story (and, to tell the truth, there are very few videogames that really gives you the power of doing that... and none of 'em comes to my mind now. In the great majority of cases the only interaction you are allowed to do is determine if the protagonist dies or not while the story remains exactly the same... sooo limited...).

Inbanana said:
Maybe, but I've played a lot of games (Doom comes to mind) and thought, "This would make a cool movie...", and then someone actually does it only to end up butchering it because they think that they can come up with a much better story than any "video game", or go out of their way to make it overly campy since they figure nobody will take it seriously anyway.

"Doom 3" is the perfect example. It is NOTHING less than a terribly creepy horror film. It's such an awesome game, total perfection.
I've heard a lot of comments of people saying it was boring and easily predictable, only to find out later that they simply never followed the storyline. :mad: They simply went through the levels and killed any monster they found... but... damn :mad: ... the number one thing in that game IS the storyline. When you collect the datapads and read about all of the mysteries, when you try to understand what (the Hell ;) ) has appened... when you talk to the few survivors and you listen to their frightening stories... that game creates an atmosphere I've never seen before in any other game I played (and I've played A LOT, not to mention I usually don't like horror stories).
"Doom 3" is not only a videogame... it's a perfect hybrid of a videogame and a movie (and, to me, a damn good movie).
The cinematographic feel that you get every time a new monster is introduced in the story (there are specific cutscenes, all orchestrated with mastery), the shivers you feel everytime you hear a strange voice from the dark, the unpleasant apprehension that consumes you when you realize you're alone in a long tunnel, and you have to decide whether to switch on the light or not... "Doom 3" is a masterpiece, no matter what they say...
They say it's predictable... but if you play it correctly, I assure you it is not. THE WORST THINGS ALWAYS HAPPEN WHEN YOU DON'T MINIMALLY EXPECT THEM TO.

commontone said:
Yes, Super Mario Bros.
Wing Commander
Hitman
Doom
Double Dragon
Resident Evil
Mortal Kombat
Tomb Raider

You forgot about "Silent Hill", which to me was the best videogame adaptation of all time. And a very enjoyable movie (I think in this case my opinion is worth a read, because I USUALLY DON'T LIKE HORROR FILMS AT ALL. If I liked it, it's because it was good, at least.)

Well, every damn post I write becomes as long as a poem. Now I understand why you all dislike me... :p :p

Last edited: