why Temple of Doom is an awesome movie

Katarn07

Although Jurassic Park 3 sucked compared to the original, I thought it was a pretty cool summer flick that outdid the Lost World by far.

I'm getting off topic....

I've seen the trilogy twice since we got the DVDs and I caught bits and peices of them when they were on USA Memorial Day Weekend :)

westford

ToD was my favourite when I was a kid because of Short Round. There was a kid of around my age going off on an adventure round the world and kicking bad-guy-ass. Plus he got to ride an elephant! (What 7/8 year old doesn't wish they could take an elephant to school to wreck the classroom and squash their teacher?)

And Willie is still my favourite 'Indy-girl' - I will not be converted to the Marion worship that goes on around here! :p

Katarn07

ToD is a lot brighter in terms of color and that sets it apart from the other two. I think I like ToD because it is so different than the other two films!

I like all the Indy girls. I don't really have a favorite but if I did, I guess it'd have to be Marion just because she's got a history with Indy and knows how to take care of herself.

Willie's hilarious and while most people prefer Marion because she's a lady that can take care of herself, my sister prefers Willie because she quote on quote "Acts like a girl should."

katanga

ToD is much more exotic, and shows indy in a surronding that isnt that much alike with the surrondings from RoTL or LC, therefore I find this movie very entertaining. Plus the badguy does not always have to be the nazi or the Prize an Christian or Judean artifact.

Jawad M

My fav starts with Crusade to Raiders to Temple. Believe it or not as much as I want to see INDY4...and a big Spielberg fan...there is always this element of...leave the trilogy as it is but then we all want it...right?

Jawad

Junior Jones

That's the problem / challenge with Indy 4. Some people will love it and some will hate it. If its too much like Raiders, people will complain. If its not anything like Raiders, people will complain. There's a balance in the middle where the fewest number of people will be disappointed, and good luck to George for finding it.

Lord Excalibur

I also thinks that ToD is the best Indy movie. It's great it's pure Indy. But so is the other two. I'm not ranking the movies of a trilogy where a like all of the movies. RoLA, ToD and LC is all ranked nr. 1 but my favourite is ToD :)

Webley

TOD is the one where I really fear for Indy's safety.The part where they are whiping Indy and Short Round and make Indy drink that poison. Come on, thats some pretty scary stuff.
Then that whole part where Indy frees the slave kids and fights that really big guy. I love the fight on the rock crusher when Indy goes to strike the guard with that big saw.

Miss Ravenwood

Willie Scott is without question, the Jar-Jar Binks of Indiana Jones. She comes as quite a letdown and stepback after the great Marion Ravenwood

The Jar Jar Binks of the Indy world? Wow that's way harsh. While Willie doesn't compare to Marion, she's a great character all on her own. Her reactions are actually pretty realistic, I know if I'd been invovled in the same situations I'd be screaming in terror the whole time too. She went through and saw some horrible stuff, I always thought her reactions were perfectly natural, especially considering she was probably a fairly spoiled indoor girl.

I can easily see why Willie would be a let down after Marion but to call her Jar Jar Binks is really unfair, IMHO. I love Willie personally, she made me laugh and I felt sorry for her. Maybe I'm biased because I can see myself a bit in Willie but I'll aways defend her, even though Marion is my #1 favourite.

bungle92

Miss Ravenwood said:
The Jar Jar Binks of the Indy world? Wow that's way harsh. While Willie doesn't compare to Marion, she's a great character all on her own. Her reactions are actually pretty realistic, I know if I'd been invovled in the same situations I'd be screaming in terror the whole time too. She went through and saw some horrible stuff, I always thought her reactions were perfectly natural, especially considering she was probably a fairly spoiled indoor girl.

I know, I was being a little harsh. I was just busy feeding into some of what Temple of Doom's critics say about the film that I didn't really give the character of Willie a chance. After all, Kate Capshaw did play the part as it was written and yes, she did have to see some horrific stuff which was out of her world of being a nightclub singer.

By the way, that entire "5 minutes" scene in the palace is awesome. Not only is it beautifully editted but it has the great "Nocturnal Activities theme".

Last edited:

Miss Ravenwood

By the way, that entire "5 minutes" scene in the palace is awesome. Not only is it beautifully edited but it has the great "Nocturnal Activities theme".

Yeah it's nice. I always laugh at how concited Willie and Indy are being, it's funny. "I could've been you're greatest adventure!" LMAO.

I

Indy's_main_man

TOD is a large part of American culture. It spawned the PG-13 rating, after all!

You can't say this movie isn't as bad because he just "went and found" the stones. I mean what is he supposed to do? make them fill out a form describing the stones their weight and what mineral compound they are?

Indy Benson

If they kept Marion for ToD, wouldn't that have messed up the storyline? Considering ToD (1935) took place before Raiders(1936), I don't think having Marion would have worked. She was all worked up in the beginning of Raiders about how she always knew he would come back into her life, and how she was young and he knew it, and how it was wrong.
Wouldn't she have said those things DURING the ToD time period, rather than the Raiders time period?

I

Indy's_main_man

Renderking Fisk said:
I really wish they took Steven's original idea and kept Marion... but then he would have never have met his wife.

unless of course Steve Married Karren Allen...That certainly would have helped her career. What was he lastb big film? "scrooged" i think

fatima

For me TOD is an awesome movie, cause was my first Indy movie I saw and, I've NEVER felt so many adrenaline, emotion and great fun with adventure in a movie before! I was 13 and I didn't get shocked with the darker scenes... I was quite impressed to see how that great adventurer took advantage to solve out the troubles the way he did, with his dared spirit and Willy and Shortie add more soul to the movie turned it more lighter, she is funny and Shortie is a loyal Indy friend that is delicious to see!!

OldawanKenobi

I always liked ToD...'Raiders' was always my favorite,but LC went a little over-the-top with the comedy at times.It's almost like they were trying to atone for ToD being so 'dark'.