A Week of Kindness and the Last Crusade

AWOK Nate

I'm a member of a sketch comedy group operating out of New York called A Week of Kindness, and we thought that an Indiana Jones fan community such as this would enjoy our latest. It's called A Week of Kindness and the Last Crusade, and it can be found here, along with many other videos by us.

http://www.aweekofkindness.com/archives/2006/02/a_week_of_kindn_1.html

Anyway, it's most certainly a work of spoofery, but I hope it's evident that we spoof because we love.

Nice site you got here, by the way!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I would just like to point out that it is in fact very impossible for me to see such a spoof if you get what I mean location wise so this thread has no use for me and a few others that are in fact overseas and away from the US.:p

AWOK Nate

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Do you have trouble accessing American sites in Australia? Maybe I should have been clearer. What I was linking to was a short film based on a very specific scene from one of the movies. That film is for the whole world, even if you personally don't have a way of making it to the shows we do.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
LOL. That was great.

welcome_tumma.jpg

Welcome, AWOK Nate.

Gustav

Ah. Thank you for that, Nate. It was bloody hilarious. My favourite part was when the guy drank from the bowl. Which one was you?

AWOK Nate

I was the guy who had the right one for a second at the end. It was written by myself, the bowl guy, and the knight guy.

Joe Brody

Funny skit . . . further proof that blondes do indeed have more fun. . . until they don't . . . . but that's another sad tale for another day.

AWOK Nate

When we have enough short films to add up to 45-60 minutes, we may think about trying to make a DVD at some point. That's actually a really interesting question we haven't talked much about lately. It would be a cool thing to try and sell at shows, wouldn't it?

Jay R. Zay

AWOK Nate said:
When we have enough short films to add up to 45-60 minutes, we may think about trying to make a DVD at some point. That's actually a really interesting question we haven't talked much about lately. It would be a cool thing to try and sell at shows, wouldn't it?

call me naïve but i'd call it "cool" if you managed to sell it, not if you just tried to. ;) anyway if you sell it, you should beware of copyrighted footage (for example the indiana jones extracts).

AWOK Nate

Jay R. Zay said:
call me naïve but i'd call it "cool" if you managed to sell it, not if you just tried to. ;) anyway if you sell it, you should beware of copyrighted footage (for example the indiana jones extracts).

We've definitely thought it through, and we're pretty certain that the way we used it is consistent with fair use. It's obviously a work of parody, and we've used so little of the copyrighted material that nobody in their right mind would watch that sketch and think they're actually watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Those two things are the guidelines underwhich legal precedent has protected the borrowing of copyrighted material for use in a parody, and I think we're within that.

Jay R. Zay

AWOK Nate said:
We've definitely thought it through, and we're pretty certain that the way we used it is consistent with fair use. It's obviously a work of parody, and we've used so little of the copyrighted material that nobody in their right mind would watch that sketch and think they're actually watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Those two things are the guidelines underwhich legal precedent has protected the borrowing of copyrighted material for use in a parody, and I think we're within that.

well, anyway you'll probably be the first to know.:)

Gustav

I was actually joking when I said that, but that's brilliant to put it out on DVD. Let me know if you do because I will definitely take one as long as most of the short films are as funny as that.

AWOK Nate

Gustav said:
I was actually joking when I said that, but that's brilliant to put it out on DVD. Let me know if you do because I will definitely take one as long as most of the short films are as funny as that.

Well, there are others available for viewing at www.aweekofkindness.com/videos.html . We've been doing this sketch thing for a year now, and we've got a sweet little repertoire of live and filmed stuff, meaning obviously that some of them are going to be better than others. Personal favorites of mine include "Nature Footage: The Musical", "The Thumblettes", and "The Schebb Saga." the latter of which is easier to appreciate if you can imagine it as a running gag that we show at three different parts of the show, between live scenes, primarily to cover ourselves while we do costume and set changes.