ToD Hindi translations

Bullwhip

Attila the Professor said:
As an aside, on the order of Stoo's initial post, I believe <I>Help!</I> also features a version of the Thuggee cult.

Jesus, I forgot all about that. I'm a big Beatles fan but l find it pretty unwatchable.

NileQT87

Jooones! said:
now I only need to know what the diggers who were with Sallah and Indy (in the dusk/ark excavation scene of Raiders) were singing. sounds like: "a---riande...." or something...lol.

"imshi!" which you hear in seemingly every movie that features a middle-eastern dig site... it means "go away!"

Jooones!

Yes, I know but thats not what I meant: I meant that rythmic chanting of the workers when they start to dig out the well of souls at sundown...

NileQT87

i know... it's just the only word of the arabic spoken in the film that i know, so i added it into the conversation.

no idea about the song.

Jooones!

fortune&glory said:
Now I just need someone who speaks german to tell me what all the Nazis in Raiders and Crusade are saying!
I could do that since I speak German. I'll re-watch Crusade and then make a thread if no one else beats me to it...(saw that there are quite a few German speakers here...)

Grizzlor

In college 4 or 5 years ago, I asked a fellow from India about Temple of Doom. He agreed that the lines were Hindi. He also was not happy about the dinner scene where they were eating monkey brains, adding that no one in India would ever eat any of that.

NileQT87

temple of doom is a mixture of many cultures. you've got polynesian volcano sacrifice, aztec heart removal, far eastern cuisine (take a look at the japanese iron chef, if you don't believe me--fish eyeballs and shark cartilage are considered delicacies).

granted, hindus don't eat beef (though to call them all vegetarian is a myth, my neighbors are from india and they have tons of parties catered with indian cuisine--there are some regular meats there, just not cow products. the food is very spicy and some of the flavors differ from the western palate, certainly. the leafy breath freshener/palate cleanser or whatever it is, is horrid. love some of the other foods though. my half-brother and his family practices sai baba and they are vegetarians, though.).

but i think temple of doom was going more for a tour of the far east (with some aztec and polynesian tossed in) than specifically india (and china). when you get into the oriental cultures, however, that dinner table starts looking a bit more like something you would see on iron chef or those shows that explore adventurous far eastern delicacies.

the indian thuggees were hardly kittens, however. in fact, the word "thug" derives from them. it isn't like temple of doom was making all indians out to be evil cult-worshiping, delicacy-eating types. in fact, it showed exactly the opposite. you had the good villagers and the power-hungry thugs that were hurting the good indian villagers (it wasn't a west vs. east movie at all, but eastern baddies vs. eastern noble villagers.). indy's presence is actually quite irrelevant to who is good or not.

Last edited:

Jim Tigernuts

Apologies for necroposting, but I've always wanted to know the translations (and transliterations) of the Cantonese that is spoken.

Ohweiha, zhao-zhao nung? (That's absolutely terrible I'm sure)

Shorty! Chow chee! Laotzutansa!

Plus the dialogue when Indy and Shorty are playing cards in the jungle?

I've been DYING to learn the meaning of these lines! Very pleased to find the Hindi translations.

UKIndyFan

"Tum Shiva ke vishvas kate ho.", which Indy translates as you('ve) betrayed Shiva. I'm not for sure what KATE means, but literally it's you shiva's belief or faith (kate[?]) are. It may mean you betray shiva, or you believe shiva, either way the real meaning of the scene is fairly evident.

I'm fairly sure you mean 'karte ho' and not kate. Which pretty much translates to the same thing you said. And also later on when Mola Ram is on the rope bridge, he shouts "Mere sipayon. Issee ko ______ maro!" translated as " My soldiers! Hit him with ____" Couldnt make out that one word

Jawad M

IndyJr. said:
Mere dost, dhanya-waadh

that means "my friends, thank you"

I have been watching bollywood movies since childhood and speak and understand hindi very much.

Does anyone want to see Amrish Puri's post Temple of Doom role in an indian film where he plays a villain, Mogambo

-INDY-

Jim tigernuts,
what you are asking is definately not hindi, i think it's mandarian or something.

And when Indy says "thum shiva ki vishwas karte ho," that, in the literal sense means, you believe in shiva.

Other hindi sayings are, "ab thumhari jaan meri muthi me hai," meaning now your strength is in my hand. But here he uses strength to mean heart.

Other than that i remember amrish puri saying balli charhao, that means make the sacrifice. Jaldi Karo by the big thugee means hurry up, and I can't remember any other lines.

Stoo

Jim Tigernuts said:
Apologies for necroposting,
Great term!

UKIndyFan said:
when Mola Ram is on the rope bridge, he shouts "Mere sipayon. Issee ko ______ maro!" translated as
" My soldiers! Hit him with ____"
Cool! Thanks a bunch. It is now your mission to find out what the missing word is!:whip:
-INDY- said:
Other hindi sayings are, "ab thumhari jaan meri muthi me hai," meaning now your strength is in my hand.
But here he uses strength to mean heart.
Could this also be interpreted as "Now, his life is in my fist!" (as the orignal post suggested)? It's such a powerful line!
Jawad M said:
Does anyone want to see Amrish Puri's post Temple of Doom role in an indian film where he plays a villain, Mogambo
Yes! (Is it a remake?) An Indian guy a worked with a few years ago said that Puri "always plays the bad guy."

P.S. For all you who have provided translations, are you guys/gals from India or of Indian descent?

UKIndyFan

The movie in question is MR. India. First true Bollywood superhero movie about an invisible guy. But it's still a piece of crap

I'm of Pakistani descent but born and bred in Britain. Hindi (Temple of Doom) and Urdu (my language) are almost the same language, so it's pretty easy to make out.

Stoo

Thanks for the info. The only other movie I've seen him in is "Ghandi".
Just checked his filmography and it turns out he was also in a movie
called "Shakti" that same year!

Welcome to The Raven, UKIndyFan!:whip:

(Maybe someone can help me out, here. Last year, I saw a recent, Indian film about a rebel leader
at the dawn of the 1857 Sepoy Rebellion and can't remember the damned title. It's driving me crazy!)

Stoo

YES! "Mangal Pandey" Thank you (and your sister), very much!:hat:

Hey, if she's aware of any more Bollywood films about British rule in India,
I'd be very interested to know. Saw "Lagaan" a few years ago and thought it was great.

michael

BUMP

Does anybody know what Indy asks the Shaman when the Shaman replies with a "naaah."

Somebody must know.

indywhip

I just love this thread!. Has anybody ever tried to transcript and translate the ominous sacrificial chant the worshippers sing at the temple of doom, when Mola Ram rips out the heart of that poor young guy?. It would be great to know what they are saying.

Stoo

Welcome to The Raven, indywhip.:whip:

It sounds like:
Mola Ram...Sudha Ram...Molaramsudharam
Mola Ram...Sudha Ram...Molaramsudharam