Indy on IMAX

russds

Regarding the multiple people who have brought up the focus/fuzzy issue which appears most prominently during the tarantula/sapito scene. I watched the original DVD, and it's actually there too. It's always been there, just never noticed it before. The imax/restore must have just really enhanced what was always there. Getting a decent screen shot was tough, because it comes and goes so quickly. But notice in this shot, almost nothing is in focus, and there's no motion happening. This is from the DVD.

95984951.png

indyclone25

went on sunday to see the movie (on my birthday) snagged 12 posters !!! what a great feling seeing it again made me feel 15!
markatimax.jpg

Henry W Jones

Rocket Surgeon said:
What full size IMAX screen did you see it on?

The one at the 'Pacific Science Center' in downtown Seattle.
So that's twice so far. One more again on Saturday at the marathon!!!!

Forbidden Eye

Well, I saw it earlier today. I had a feeling it wouldn't be crowded as the classic films I've been to earlier this year were pretty scarce, add the fact it was Monday and I thought there was a chance the theater would be empty. There ended up being 5 other people.

Like all of you, I was distracted by the fuzzyness early on, but at the movie went on I got use to it.

The biggest new thing I noticed was that when Marion is trapped in the tent with Belloq, we see shadows of the Nazis outside surrounding the tent making sure she doesn't escape.

Most things were pretty subtle like actually hearing the crate that pushes the ark. Or seeing the moles on the "Love You" girl.

I thought the scene that best translated in IMAX was easily the opening of the ark. It literally made you feel like you were in that scene.

Overall, it was great to finally see this film on the big screen. I do wish there was more of an audience though, maybe even some seeing it for the first time, but then again the film is great regardless of how you see it.

Crack that whip

I've seen it at least once each day since it began playing in IMAX (and twice yesterday), and it's a joy, though I do concur about the lack of crowds. Then again, as Forbidden Eye says, the same theater running it here has also had limited screenings (just one or two days) in the last couple years of other '80s classics (Airplane!, Sixteen Candles, Ghostbusters), and none of the screenings of these that I've attended has had much of a turnout; given that Raiders has a whole week of screenings, all at IMAX prices, it's not really surprising that any one individual showing doesn't have that many people. Ah, well. I'm crossing my fingers for a better turnout at the marathon.

indyfedora

indyclone25 said:
went on sunday to see the movie (on my birthday) snagged 12 posters !!! what a great feling seeing it again made me feel 15!
markatimax.jpg

Well, Happy belate birthday indyclone! I have a question for you: About how big were the posters you grabbed? Were they the regular 27x40 inches in size? I'm trying to justify my viewing of the movie with the poster (if it's worth it). :)

Thanks,
indyfedora

Henry W Jones

indyfedora said:
Well, Happy belate birthday indyclone! I have a question for you: About how big were the posters you grabbed? Were they the regular 27x40 inches in size? I'm trying to justify my viewing of the movie with the poster (if it's worth it). :)

Thanks,
indyfedora

He's standing next to one of his twelve 27x40 inch posters in the photo!! :p

That indyclone's a real small guy!! Just kidding :D

Happy Belated Birthday indyclone!!!! :hat:

Indy's brother

Here goes..... So I saw this on sunday. Honestly, I agree with everything that has been said here. The sound is amazing, in fact, in my opinion, it's the star of the show. Moving on. Yes, the film has been cleaned up immensely, but I feel that it's to the film's detriment. I totally understand and agree with the purist standpoint: don't mess with a classic, lucas did it with S.W., Spielberg did it with E.T., and they both flopped. After seeing how truly dated my favorite film of all time actually looks once you put a magnifying glass on it....I have to say, I understand the temptation to do something about it. Now this opens up a huge can of worms, how much is too much, to which I say that at heart, I am a purist, but also a dreamer. Sure, on the big screen, it is technically better than it has ever looked or sounded, but now that we can see all the seams.....I gotta say, it lost something. Anyone else?

Last edited:

Goonie

Just got back. My first time seeing Raiders on the big screen, or should I say, big ,big screen. Fantastic! John Williams' score on those big beautiful speakers... pure bliss. (y)

My only disappointment, that all four movies aren't being played on IMAX (and yes, I'd go see Crystal Skull on IMAX too).

And I snagged four posters! (y) :cool:

So that makes Temple of Doom the only one in the series I haven't seen on the big screen yet.

Stoo

Henry Jones VII said:
Raiders of the Lost Ark (IMAX)

Domestic Total as of Sep. 9, 2012: $1,725,000 (Estimate)
My girlfriend heard on the radio today (Monday) that this past weekend had the lowest, North American, box-office sales in something like 20 years. Is this true? Did anyone else hear that?:confused:
IAdventurer01 said:
To be fair regarding it's turnout - it's had pretty much no advertising. Other than people such as us who knew within the day of the first announcement and the people we told about it, I don't think many other people even knew this was happening.
For sure. None of my family & friends were aware until I mentioned it. Anyway, in order to experience this thing, I extended my visit here at home in Montreal for an extra week but my schedule has been too busy to see the movie! Nobody I know wants to go, so I need to carve out some time and and watch it alone. *sniff*:(
indyclone25 said:
Congrats on the 12 poster score!(y) Can't wait to re-live being 14 again.

russds

Stoo said:
My girlfriend heard on the radio today (Monday) that this past weekend had the lowest, North American, box-office sales in something like 20 years. Is this true? Did anyone else hear that?:confused:

Yes, I read the same thing which actually proved beneficial for Raiders:

the IMAX re-release of Indiana Jones' first adventure, "Raiders of the Lost Ark," had a stronger per-screen average than any of the 2012 films at the cinema, including a brand-new flick produced by and starring Bradley Cooper..."Raiders of the Lost Ark" in IMAX made $1.7 million on just 267 screens, compared to the roughly 3,000 theaters each of the top four movies were available. That translates to a $6,460 per-screen

Another nice article

Highlights:
“Raiders” has stood for the past three decades as the epitome of the great American adventure film. Its iconic scenes, from the introductory temple idol sequence all the way to the climactic Nazi face melting, stand the test of time as some of the most thrilling in cinema history...To say Lucasfilm did a fantastic job with the film’s HD restoration is a gross understatement....Everything from John William’s iconic score to Ben Burtt’s sound design were absolutely unbelievable in full HD surround sound....The new remastering of the film’s audio and video were so well done that the film almost looks like it could have been shot yesterday.

Last edited:

russds

Forbidden Eye said:
I'm curious about this poster talk. Do they give them to you at the box office?
At my theater they were at the place where they take your tickets. I actually wasn't' offered one, figured they had run out, but then saw other people coming after with them, so i went back and found there was just a stack of them sitting there, i asked the attendant if i could take one, she said sure. I read somewhere that the first 500 people get them, which translates to each theater gets 500, so if there weren't any, chances are they ran out. You may have to ask or look for yourself though, at the theater we went, the lady didn't offer, but i had to go back myself and look for them.

KramStaar

Forbidden Eye said:

Regarding the posters. There are a number of variants - and please, I wasn't responsible for changing the name - and these are:

1) The mini posters that you'll (hopefully) receive at the IMAX screening.
2) The one-sheet poster you'll receive when you book your ticket for the Indy marathon at the AMC complexes
3) Another mini poster that will be included when you purchase your Blu-Ray from (I think) Target. At this stage there are plans to include all of the classic Indy posters - also as mini's - so besides your blu-ray you'll get a collection of mini posters as well.

The big illuminated posters are not for sale but maybe you'll be able to score one from a friendly cinema owner.

The above are US deals and at this stage it appears that only the UK wil be getting the IMAX release but there is no word on posters.

I know that in Australia the chain Sanity are giving away mini posters of the new IMAX illustration to folk purchasing the blu-ray.

Other than that, there are no plans to make the new Raiders illustration available as a licensed product. NO licensees are permitted to sell them currently. Obviously, this might change but this is the current LFL and Paramount stance on the matter.

Its possible I will have a small number of IMAX one-sheets to sell sometime in the future. I'm waiting for a delivery of items from Lucasfilm and hopefully this will include a number of posters. If successful, I'll make them available signed and dedicated. They will be sold from my web site….

Kind regards

MARK RAATS

indyclone25

indyfedora said:

Thanks,
indyfedora
yeah the posters were only 11x17 inches

Goodeknight

indyclone25 said:
markatimax.jpg

Hope you had a great birthday. With Indy in the mix, it couldn't be bad.

Nice shirt! No hat, though? I did about the same thing, my Indy shirt with jeans. But I wore the fedora, too. As I mentioned above, with such a poor turnout, I was glad I didn't show up in full gear.

Goonie

Forbidden Eye said:

At the theater I went to, they had a table with a stack of posters in the auditorium. I grabbed four on my way out.

indyclone25

goodeknight said:
Hope you had a great birthday. With Indy in the mix, it couldn't be bad.

Nice shirt! No hat, though? I did about the same thing, my Indy shirt with jeans. But I wore the fedora, too. As I mentioned above, with such a poor turnout, I was glad I didn't show up in full gear.
my wife came with my son and me and she said she wanted no hats so i just wore the shirt , but this saturday at the marathon i will be wearing most of my gear , hat shirt , pants and boots and satchel.
:whip: